PDA

View Full Version : buying boat for deep sea fishing need help

mat2020
08-06-2005, 10:15 AM
hey guys i wanted to buy a decent boat for deep sea fishing to fit 4-10 people and was wondering how much you guys think i need to spend for a decent boat
thanks apreciate your help

Mat

mat2020
08-06-2005, 10:26 AM
its great to be a member and get advice from pro fishermen like yourselfs and hope to one day gain as much knowledge as you as iam only 19 and verry keen to learn i have allways loved fishing and i will possibly start a deep sea fishing tour business

i should have mentioned that the boat iam looking for will be for future deep sea fishing tour business iam willing to take out a loan for the right boat and need your advice on what i should buy and/or how much i need to spend for a boat that will suit a small business

once again guys thanks it is greatly apreciated hope to hear from you soon

craigie
08-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Mat2020,

Lets see mate........A boat in survey to carry 10 people offshore fishing. Hope your good for a big loan ???
Your looking at a boat that is at least 8 -10m long (if not a whole lot longer), maybe too big to tow :-/, so you have to decide on a tow vehicle/Mooring ??

A very conservative guess would be $100 000 to $200 000 to get set up with a second hand rig :-/ :-/

Best of luck with your venture.

Craigie.

Sportfish_5
08-06-2005, 12:58 PM
And you'll need all the necessary qualifications as a Skipper. Dont want to rain on your parade as it's good to see an ambitious young fella chasin a dream but I think you are putting the cart a little before the horse if you are serious about a deep sea charter business. You need to spend some time gathering experience as a deckie on a sucessful charter boat and learn the ropes while attaining your qualifications. Sure some other guys can fill you in on what is required.

Best of luck hope it happens for you.

Cheers

Greg

jimbo59
08-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Matt2020 its 12 ,months on board a comercal vessle then a 10 week coxwain coarse.

mat2020
08-06-2005, 01:38 PM
thanks guys really apreciate the help and im still willing to invest that time so i cant start a bussines untill i have 12 month on board a commercial vessel and a course also is that correct? ok so for now i will put hte bussiness off for a while i was thinking of getting a personal boat for offshore fishin how much do you think i should spend for somthing decent?

I was also wondering what you guys think about a Half Cabin Nautiglass V150 with a chrysler 105hp motor not running $2500 i called up and the boat delaer sayd that the motor needs $1500-$3000 work do you think it would be worth to fix it ?? and if so is it a decent boat to do offshore fishing with a couple of m8s

plaese feel free to give me ur opinions on what boat to buy and how much to spend

blaze
08-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I think you will do well to buy some boating mags, I personly would not spend any $ doing up an old chrysler
cheers
blaze

mat2020
08-06-2005, 02:11 PM
thanks good 2 know and i will most defently buy some 2 morrow morning, how much do you think a new 105hp motor or used in good con would set me back because i havnt found a better boat for price so far ive been looking for weeks

is the boat any good? what is its mainly used for and can i still use it to go offshore ?
i know these sound like dumb questions but iam new to boats as of this week and i want to make right deccision thanks guys you have been great will defenetly recomend this syte

seabug
08-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi Matt2020,
If you are intent on buying the Nautiglass v150 please get a proper inspection done on the soundness of the hull

I had one from new,and while it provided our family with a lot of pleasure I would never recommend anyone to buy one

Reason being that a couple of years ago I noticed that a part of the floor was a bit soft.
Under -floor examination showed that the main board strenghening the keel only had a very thin covering of fibreglass cloth ,and almost no resin to seal it.
The timbers each side were poorly covered as well.

This allowed any water/condensation in the hull to get into the timber .

The under floor timbers were connected to the transdom and the end result was that ALL the underfloor timber and part of the transom had turned to a brown pulp.

The quote to repair the damage was $2700
As this was more than the boat was worth I sold the hull for $200 to a chap who wanted a project to work on.
This included an aux.bracket and all the stainless hardware.

Bit of a case of buyer beware

Regards
Seabug

Lucky_Dave76
08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Mat I would look at a pressed centre console tinny about 5 metres. You will be able to use a alot less power to push it along and be able to afford a much newer rig. Trust me you are much better off investing in a good motor that is cheap to run and easy to use. You can expect to pay between $5000 and $10 000 for a good second hand rig. Good Luck
Dave

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
08-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Mat
Never lose sight of that dream of yours. ;) It is young fella's like you who turn into great skippers with beautiful outfits who take people like me on chartered fishing trips. But crawl first mate.
As Craigie and Greg said, it is an expensive (and competitive) business, and you need to get a damn lot of experience. Learn the ropes, ask a charter skipper if you can volunteer deckie on occasions. I am sure a trawler operator would let you volunteer. At least that would give you a feel for the size of the boat etc. Learn the ropes (literally), the sea, the weather, the law. Preparation is the key word to success, as you would already know being a fisherman. Then look at the coxwain course and every other regulation and legislation that you will need to follow.
I am sure you will get there. Set yourself some goals and some years to achieve them by.
Good luck to you Mat. :)

Dave

NQCairns
08-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Mat the Chrysler is worth about $50 dollars if you are lucky. The Nauti if on a good trailer around $1200 if in good overall condition for age, suspect it is 25+years old.
You will be ripped off if you buy from a dealer, try an add in the paper asking for a 16-17 footer without an engine or one that works esp no engine, hulls without engines are usually a great buy.
Get a photo and ask on here some opinions before parting with any cash! nq

mat2020
08-06-2005, 07:27 PM
thanks for the advice guys, weres agood place or syte to search??

southernson
08-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Mate id be looking in places like the trading post, boat point, but keep an eye out on the for sale section on this site as it seems to show up a few nice boats, even the adds in the local paper are worth a look. But yeah seriously crawl before you walk.
Keep goin for that dream but hey, need more decent charter operators!!!
Cheers mate
Matt