PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Minn Kota Use

bubs
03-06-2005, 06:43 AM
:) Hi all,
I have just purchased a new bow mounted minn kota riptide and was after some good maintance tips and battery use tips. i live in TVL.

Thanks Bubs

Barrymundi
04-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Bubs,
I use Lanaguard grease on my metals parts. I wash is down with warm soapy water after each trip and spray with INOX.

I also keep a couple of spare shear pins in my tackle box, Minnkota about $10, Tackle World $2

With the battery I have a good quality Deep Cycle Battery from the boys in the battery shop next to 7 to 7 Bait and tackle, they sell the good stuff and understand our fishing needs. My first one lasted 4 years and was only replaced because I boiled it dry over charging. Keep the battery charged but not on charge all the time. I charge after a trip and the night before I go.

Hope this helps. I am in TSV and if you need any help PM me

Al

keen_as_mustard
04-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Al,

What sort of charger were you suing when you boiled the battery?

I keep my deep cycle on charge all the time, but I use a three stage charger (full, trickle and maintenance stage) and I am guessing (now hoping) that will never boil it dry?

I was told that sort of charger gives the most life as the battery is always at full charge.

Barrymundi
05-06-2005, 06:02 AM
a cheap one :)
now replaced

bubs
08-06-2005, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the tips Al. I took it out for the first time on saturday, went up to halifax, and had a ball with it. Mind you I didn't catch jack but had plenty of bumps.

Bubs

Barrymundi
09-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Just one more cast until your next fish