PDA

View Full Version : Southwind ub 670

Cyclone
06-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in these boats as I have come across a cheap one. Can anyone tell if they have a ply floor as I could notice a bit of a soft feel underfoot in some areas.
I'm pretty sure the floor is straight glass with the hull foam filled maybe the foam has compressed under the floor and left a cavity between thus the movement.
Also anyone know what sort of performance out of a two stroke 90 on this hull and ride quality any input appreciated.

Andrew.

fishingrod
06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
G'day Cyclone
I was running one with a 80hp 4stk Yammie and got about 27knots flat out with a 2-3 people on board.
Now with a 115hp EFI 4stk yammie it winds out to about 36-37knots with 2 people.
115hp is over the manufactuers rating and it made the back a little heavy, especially as we had 2 big batteries at the back.

Our hatches down the centre of the boat were a bit soft. As far as i know its all fibreglass on the deck. Im pretty certain the dividers between the centre compartment and each side are ply.
I think the side chambers are full of foam and the sides of the boat are all foam filled.
They give a smooth ride as you are normally driving from the console at the back. Be prepared to get wet. The front can get a bit light and vibrate a lot on the chop.
cheers
Rod

Cyclone
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks Rod yes I noticed the max hp rating was 85, 115 sounds better. I was looking at the boat to make a few bucks on but I've passed the deal onto a mate who want's to keep it. Just heard today he got it for $11:000 :o :o a great buy considering it had canopy sounder chart plotter vhf safety gear anchors extra fuel tank etc. I'll pass the info on about the motor because for that money he was looking at trading up to a new 4 stroke do you know if the change effects your insurance in the event of a claim.
Thaks for a very imformative reply Andrew.

fishingrod
07-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Andrew
We had the 670 sports console version. Im pretty sure the max was 100hp?
Are you sure its a Southwind?
Ive seen a lot of similar bannana/dory boats around claiming to be Southwind, but are something else.
They have been in manuacture for quite a while, so maybe the eary ones did have a 85hp max.

Re insurance. No idea what would happen. Ours was used commercially and insured as a work boat. Not sure what would happen in event of a claim. The 115 was good as the extra top end speed came in handy !

Rod

Cyclone
08-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Rod yes definatly southwind has the sign on the side and compliance plate 1998 model stamped 85hp. It also has keel gaurds fitted do you know how these are attached as the new owner is thinking of removing them.

fishingrod
09-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Sorry no idea about the strips.
Ours was moored in the water, so i never saw the underside very much