PDA

View Full Version : Plate Tinny that handles the CHOP!!!!!

kpmack
27-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Plate Hulls!! Hi Guys I need some advise. I'm looking to buy a 4.5 to 5.0 metre plate fishing boat with a 50hp elect start with PTT. I need something that will handle a bit of off shore chop as well as estuary. I'v seen the 4.65 Stessl TRUCK, 4.5 Blue finn VIKING and pictures of the 4.55 Allycraft TANK . Any comments on any of these would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy a "BANGER"..........Cheers................Paul

Jack_Lives_Here
27-05-2005, 04:52 PM
That's an easy one - buy a Fisher - VERY soft ride in chop. Use mine for close inshore stuff - Gneerings etc as well as my creek work. 60hp Yammy on the back and 80litres under the floor. Impresses me every time I use it.

foggy
27-05-2005, 06:05 PM
The Trailcraft Pro is the best tinny I have ever been in. Feels just as good in the bay chop as it does offshore. Very stable in all conditions. If I were looking to buy, I would not hesitate.

noluck
27-05-2005, 06:42 PM
one my friend got Stessl TRUCK,5 m with yamaha 75hp tiler st. and he use for off shore , to barwon banks no problem i have bine on it so many times bit wet but good tiny
if u whont know more PM i will putt u in tach with him .
cheers no_luck

Glind
28-05-2005, 05:54 AM
The Stessl, Bluefin, Trailcraft and Allycraft are not plate boats, they are pressed boats that have flat sides and do not have the crinkles. They are not made from structural plate either. It is the look these companies are trying to achieve. If you want a boat that can handle the chop and not fall to bits in a couple of years, you must go plate, just like Jack Lives Here's boat. They are awesome.
Comparing Fishers to the pressed brigade is not comparing apples with apple, but rather apples with lemons IMHO.
Tim

dazza
28-05-2005, 06:15 AM
hi paul,
check out the fisher range, i have been in a few (don't own one though :'( :'() they do handle very well and offer a dry ride. i had the opportunity to water test a 4x4 once prior to delivery. it was a pretty crappy day and for a 4 meter boat it was awesome.
before you buy anything make sure you go for a run. be careful of the pressed alloy boats, eventually they will split in rough conditions.
let us know how you get on
cheers
dazza

snapattack
28-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Tim_n.
I beg to differ on the construction of the trailcraft.

Bottom is 4mm 5083grade structural marine plate
Sides are 3mm 5083grade structural marine plate.
Fully welded structural ribbing throughout and a fully welded self draining floor.

A mate has had a 4.75m with a 75 yamaha for about three years. It has 700hrs on the clock and has seen a 5 week Cape York trip twice, a trip to shark bay in Western Australia and has been used to travel to the Banks quite regularly. We have been going out when others in much larger boats were running for cover. The bottom has not got a ripple or buckle in it, not 1 weld has cracked and it still never gets any water in the hull.

Snap

Glind
28-05-2005, 07:15 AM
I will stand corrected on the Trailcraft, however I cant see how you can press clinkers into 5083 structural plate. To my knowledge it is not possible. But the frame may well be 5083. The others however are of the pressed variety. I will do some research on the Trailcraft before making judgement as to whether or not it is a full platey.
Tim

Sportfish_5
28-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Trailcraft are still not gunna ride as nice as a Fisher #;D ;D ;D

Leo_N.
28-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I had a mate who was all pumped up for a Fisher, but when he went for a ride in one, he reckoned it tilted a lot and wasn't as stable at rest as he wanted.

I'm not trying to knock the Fisher boats, as they seem great to me, just passing on another opinion.

Smithy
28-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Here are a few of my opinions. Unfortunately SJP must have posted the pictures of his completed boat in the last couple of weeks and they were lost in the great Ausfish crash of 2005. Looked an awesome little setup.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1097014374 ;start=

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1092478186 ;start=7#7

Dano
28-05-2005, 12:49 PM
quintrex all the way. best tinny ever get you anywhere

DR
28-05-2005, 12:59 PM
not plate , but have a look at these in a 4.6.

nigelr
28-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Check out Rick Huckstepps' review of the Seaquest Eclipse in Trailerboats' "Fishin Boats" magazine. They are a WA plate runabout, 4mm bottom and sides. Quote 'this boat is the softest riding of any under 5 metres that I've driven in the past 35 years!'
Seaquest also do a 4.7 Star, with 4mm plate bottom and 3mm plate sides, a bit cheaper I'd reckon. Might be worth checking out before you commit your hard earned $$$. Cheers and good luck. P.S. web site is www.sea-quest.com.au

nigelr
28-05-2005, 01:27 PM
DR, if that's a Webster like I think it is, that would be my choice! Would love to read your opinion on this boat as I hope to own one in the hopefully not to distant future.

kpmack
28-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks Guys for the great wealth of knowledge and experience that you guys obviously have. I will now check out the FISHER and TRAILCRAFT PRO. When I was up in Cape York last year,I saw a FISHER at Weipa but couldn't remember it's name till now. Very well built boat!!!!!! Does anyone have any idea of the prices for these boats for tiller steer?? I'll get on to the web site and find a dealer

magicpudding
28-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Like I've said in those other posts, I recon an Ocean Cylinder is the way to go. Although I have never been in a fisher, I have been in many other plateys and would rather an OC any day. The deep v ride in these things has to be experienced to be believed, and their stability at rest is second to none. They are built to USL survey standards, and can be fully customised. How many 4.4m tinny's do you see regularly off point lookout? ;)

CJ

fly_1
30-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Cant beat the Fisher Maxi Series. I have a 580 Maxi, and it is by far the best riding plate boat I have owned. I have fished from sportfish, yellowfin, and trailcraft (although its not a true plate boat), and the Maxi kills them all. Great boat, and built like a tank !!

Richo1
31-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Got a price on a Fisher 480 last year, $11350 including trailer moter not included.
Regards

Richo

Fisher_Boats
31-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Got a price on a Fisher 480 last year, $11350 including trailer moter not included.
Regards

Richo

A standard 480 Tiller is $12,000.00.The trailer and options are extra :o

Cheers Col

Jack_Lives_Here
31-05-2005, 04:50 AM
Paul,
If you're in Brissy and want to go for a spin - let me know BUT wait for a really crap day (like into 40knots wind against tide action and no spine compression ;D) and then you'll be sold.
I had a hornets before I got my Fisher. It's all trade offs with boats - you want stability you buy a hornet, if you want ride in the rough stuff and durability, you buy plate. I went for something that's a good balance of stable at rest (2.2m beam on a 4.5m boat :o) and can handle some close offshore stuff - perfect solution for me.

_Matt_
31-05-2005, 05:44 AM
2 Words for ya- "Noble Supervee" -best thing you'll ever do.

Jack_Lives_Here
31-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Yeh Matt nice boat BUT read the post. Nobles smallest rig offered is 5.8m ???

Sportfish_5
31-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Not any more - you can now get a 5m noble WITH the Supavee hull design. Saw it a couple of weeks ago testing at Scarborough. Also if you look at here you can see pics 8)

http://www.pleasuremarine.com.au/index.aspx?page=489&mid=4

The only problem will be the $ they want for them - as with all Nobles - just takes them way above their competitors. Nobles now deal direct here in SEQ but their pricing has not changed much.

Cheers

Greg

StevenM
31-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Sportsfish_5 / Greg

Interesting, have always wanted one (noble) but have been tooooo big. Any idea on $$$$.

Regards Steven

Jack_Lives_Here
31-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Good call Greg - I stand corrected. Nice looking set up that one. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] At the time I was looking they only could offer a 5.8m centre console.

mackmauler
31-05-2005, 11:15 AM
That noble doesnt look like a tiller setup would be possible with that transom setup, at least with the fisher its a good design for a tiller which would work out a lot cheaper.

Kiktz
31-05-2005, 11:32 AM
There is a Fisher tiny for sale in the Trading post!!!!!!!

Jack_Lives_Here
31-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Rare as rocking horse poo second hand ones - BUY IT BUY IT!

fieldy
31-05-2005, 03:43 PM
I own the 4.75 Trailcraft profish and I would recommend them to anyone
It is very stable and handles the chop with ease
The only other plate boat that nearly sold me was a custom plate by AMM
Fieldy

davo
31-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Fisher and only Fisher for me. I have a 4.8m side console.
I said to my wife that I haven't had back problems for a few years and that's how old the boat is. I've been in Cairns Custom Crafts up at Weipa and that are OK but have ply floors. My father has an AMM 4.5m and I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. I've bounced mine off some rather large logs and it hasn't made any difference. It's the most versitile boat I've owned. Everyone who comes with me wants one nad a few have done exactly that.

I had a 5.2 Savage and the Fisher kicks it butt!

davo
31-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Fisher and only Fisher for me. I have a 4.8m side console.
I said to my wife that I haven't had back problems for a few years and that's how old the boat is. I've been in Cairns Custom Crafts up at Weipa and that are OK but have ply floors. My father has an AMM 4.5m and I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. I've bounced mine off some rather large logs and it hasn't made any difference. It's the most versitile boat I've owned. Everyone who comes with me wants one nad a few have done exactly that.

I had a 5.2 Savage and the Fisher kicks it butt!

mackmauler
31-05-2005, 07:27 PM
davo, pretty sure I saw that rig when we lunched the other morn at cleveland, if so where do you take it never seen it on the grounds.

gif
01-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Stessl are going through some changes that could add delivery delays.

vertico
01-06-2005, 11:37 AM
get a stabicraft up yah!!!

devocean
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Might as well buy a haines they weigh the same these days and cost the same as well.

sjp
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
my first post has gone with the wind and it takes sooo long with one finger. anyway heres mine 5mm bottom 4mm floor and a comparable price to pressed tinnes with wooden floors- hornets etc,it sure has opened a whole new world of boating up for me since owning a 12ft dingy for the last 10 years, i love it-- the above is a biased opinion of mine

sjp
01-06-2005, 04:29 PM
cant just have one

goanna1
05-06-2005, 08:30 AM
http://www.tabsboats.com.au/

Try thse4 for size.

Goanna

striker
06-06-2005, 03:41 PM
History can be the proof in the pudding. I bought the stessl 4.75 plate with the ambition of inside ,outside ,all turbulance and handying with responce. Yes.
Est 1975 these guys are good,mines a 2002.
How many stessl's for sale in the papper?
PM me for a demmo.

megafish71
08-06-2005, 03:52 AM
quintrex all the way. best tinny ever get you anywhere

Deadset mate, you have got to be kidding.

chemmy
08-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Megafifh71 I recon they are fine i don't understand why you nock them all the time

trout3030
08-06-2005, 10:24 AM
I'd say mega is refering to the fact that they are designed and built for a purpose and a cost. They are a light boat and even there offshore models are not going to stack up against the likes of the good plate manufacturers.

Sportfish_5
08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
:-X ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Bring it on 8)

vertico
08-06-2005, 12:07 PM
yes from what i have heard and read, quintrex are not up to scratch
get a good plate boat and you cant go wrong

kevin
08-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I have an Active Alloy 5.5 centr console 115 Mercury on the back self draining deck
This is a plate boat I've owned since 85 the motor is 3 year old.For any sort of condition
it's great.Bar crossing chop slop doesn't matter.The ride is almost like a glass boat
Hull weight 480kg fuel 120ltr under floor.
;D ;D

Kiktz
09-06-2005, 09:15 AM
I have to agree with megafish after last week end
The First time I have been sea sick and the first and last time I have been on a
QUINTREX.

Nah, Nope, No way............. No more Quinny Tinnies for me

sooty_mad
11-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I own a 4.1 metre Elegant Boat that I keep in Townsville. They are a custom plate boat made in Nelson Bay near Newcastle. This boat has been set up for lure casting the NQ creeks and inshore waters. It has a full length reverse chine that allows it to handle the NQ chop very well, be very stable and is unbelievably dry. Have owned it over two years now and would definitely buy the same again. For information do a search on Elegant Boats.
For my style of fishing, possibly the only other boat I would consider is one of the dories, Galeforce, Hooker or Goodwin.

Kind regards... David