PDA

View Full Version : shark cats and mono hulls

troy
08-06-2005, 03:16 PM
shark cats and mono's
are the cats that more better then the monos and if so why.
if money was not an issue what would be peoples preference.
be. is there a type of sea that the monos can compete.
troy

Sportfish_5
08-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I know what youre doin but I still dont think he will ever come back ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lucky_Dave76
08-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Troy if money is not an issue and you can afford the fuel and maintenance ect...I would go for the Cat. I think a perfectly flat sea a mono performs better ;) They sure as hell corner alot better than a cat. I also think Cats taste better!!!
Cheers
Dave

youngfisho
09-06-2005, 06:42 AM
I also think cats taste better!!

Especially with a garlic and oregano garnish,

turned frequently on a rotissary ;D ;D ;D

Jeremy
09-06-2005, 08:23 AM
for someone who does NOT know sh#t from clay when it comes to mono hulls vs cats, I would have thought that a mono hull would rock less than a cat when side on to a swell/chop. Anyone care to confirm or refute this and explain why?

Jeremy

PinHead
09-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Haven't we been down this road just recently..why ask the same question again in such a short time span

troy
09-06-2005, 03:26 PM
pinhead the answer is simple. i would really like everyones opinion on why people can tell me how is the cat so much better then the mono.
we have been down this track before but i still do not believe that the so called superiority. of the cat has been explained
you give your answer .
troy

peterbo3
09-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Troy,
There are cats & cats. Just as there are monos & monos.Ask Foxy. He has got a pretty good rig. Ya gotta go out on a few to check the ride. All boats ride well on a good day. When it comes away the driver has a big input on how a particular rig rides. 5kph may mean the difference between a backbash & a reasonable ride.

vertico
09-06-2005, 04:52 PM
get a mono hull with cylinders down the side
cant get any better :) just ask rob or vertico :)

PinHead
09-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Troy...there is no definitive answer..some people prefer monos..some prefer cats..some prefer fords..some holdens...some prefer blondes..some prefer brunettes. What does it really matter...if you are happy with what you have, then who gives a rats what someone else has or what their opinions are.

DR
10-06-2005, 04:19 AM
an awful lot of cats being used by water police, vmr, coast guard etc...

snappa
10-06-2005, 08:31 AM
go ride in one
and
u will have your answer.... ;D

finding_time
10-06-2005, 09:12 AM
I think in really big seas cats can't compete with a mono EG. look at the fishing fleets in Wa,Sa,Tas not many cats there
Also look at boats like the steber they run out of the tweed it has gone out on at least one rescue when the cats from further up the coast had to pulled the pin, it also had to cross a pretty nasty bar.

For general coastal work and a great fishing platform, Cats rule. I would love one (money no option that is)

seabug
10-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Interesting that the search and rescue boats covering western Bass Strait,Peninsula,Torquay and Apollo Bay are all Mono's

Doesn't it come down to personal preference.

Regards
Seabug

redspeckle
10-06-2005, 11:57 AM
RE-HASH RE-HASH AGAIN TROY just sawing saw dust again on this topic :-X
you got a Cruise Craft Outsider handles 2 FT chop no worry's so be ;D with that and lets move on and let some other poeple have a go start new topic's
Mitch

Morlers
10-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Yes. You get tired of the 'baiting' after a while. ::)

:) :)

Morlers

finding_time
10-06-2005, 01:21 PM
RE-HASH RE-HASH AGAIN TROY just sawing saw dust again on this topic #:-X
you got a Cruise Craft Outsider handles 2 FT chop no worry's so be #;D with that and lets move on and let some other poeple have a go start new topic's
Mitch

Didn't realize i was being trolled >:( >:(

troy
10-06-2005, 01:27 PM
redspecle you are eating to much saw dust and i am certainly not stopping you from starting a new topic -start one now.
morlers i am not baiting anyone i am really interested in what makes tha cats the better riding boat as most people have said they are.i am not forcing anyone to read or reply to this post.
i have only ever been in a 18 ft shark cat a long time ago and i would not say that i was overly impressed with it - hence the post - i am very sorry to offend you lads now before writing this i put up another post again i am sorry and redspecle please do not read
troy

Morlers
10-06-2005, 02:23 PM
No offence taken Troy. Just waiting to move on.

:) :)

Morlers

youngfisho
11-06-2005, 02:34 PM
I think when comparing the hulls have to both be planning hulls. Can't really compare a displacement hull with a planning hull. Most commercial vessels above 30 feet are semi or full displacement. Also lets compare length. ie an 18 foot cat on an 18 foot mono. etc. Then we can truly see the difference in the hulls. And whilst it has been said that earlier cats were not soft riding, compare that with the similar sized mono of that era and see the glowing difference. Its like comparing a holden torana to a HSV senator. About 35 years of technology and design change. Just look at the change in cat hulls since their intro in the late 70's early 80's. Cant really compare a new cat design with an old one. Just like the boat of the year award. SHEER BOLLOCKS

andrew

troy
11-06-2005, 03:40 PM
maxw you are back mate
troy

youngfisho
11-06-2005, 03:44 PM
No K@#ry in disguise. ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
12-06-2005, 12:39 AM
steber? what's a steber, how big is a steber, i suppose the uss kitty hawk is a single hull too? uss kitty hawk should be able to handle some rough seas too? does sound like a very unqualified comment to me but then what is a steber. M

http://www.steber.com.au/

Pedro
12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Just to rekindle the flame. I am looking at buying a new boat to fish off The GBR NQ and am considering a cat or a trihull for their stability at anchor..

youngfisho
12-06-2005, 03:21 PM
My choice would be any of the new 18 + footers, ie noosa cat 1850, kevla cat 1900 offshore or the markham dominator 5.6m with twin 75's or 90's cant beat em. Also check out this site www.leisurecat.com.au They also have a nice centre console cat also a nice layout. Would be a top sport fishing rig.

andrew