PDA

View Full Version : non feedback mechancial steering

troy
13-06-2005, 06:19 AM
mechanical steering or hydraulic steering.
which preference and why and what cost difference.
thanks troy

Bowser
13-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Troy I haven't used hydraulic steering and with only a small motor on a 15foot boat can't see the reason to pay the extra. I do find the NFB cable to be excellent, easy on the arms controlled steering. It may be a little stiffer, but not unduely so, then non NFB but it could also be the tight routing of the cable on my centre console. If ordering a replacement boat today I would stipulate NFB and only consider the added expence of hydraulic with a larger motor. The only negatives that I can come up with are the inability to swing the motor around by just pushing it, when on the boat is on trailer, during servicing or cleaning and don't ever fall overboard because it ain't coming back.

NQCairns
13-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I have driven a couple of boats with no feedback steering but never before and after fitting, regardless I found the system to be a big plus that makes the next step up considering the price gap not really needed. Hydraulic is not twice better in my opinion, it's better but not that much!
Do some research there are a couple of types in the same brand so you can stipulate the model that suits you/your boat best.
Bowser I dont want the boat to come back [smiley=stop.gif] ;D ;D