PDA

View Full Version : New trailer - does this roller setup look right

Ashleym
10-06-2005, 10:13 AM
New trailer arrived but I am not sure about the setup of the front rollers.

I always thought the roller should sit underneath the strakes rather than above. Will it operate correctly as is?

Please see attached pics.

Ashleym
10-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Another pic

Morlers
10-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Yep Ashley. Mine are about in the same position and I have a Haines Hunter. What boat have you got?

:) :)

Morlers

Tracker
10-06-2005, 01:44 PM
spot onmate.top trailer too.

Ashleym
11-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Morlers
I have a 470 Breeze. I didn't think the rollers at the front looked right. My other trailer had the rollers just beneath the strakes which I thought I had read somewhere helped centre the boat.

Could you possibly add a pic of your setup for me to compare?

Regards

Ash

NQCairns
11-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Ashley, take the floor out of your boat and it would want to collapse/relax downwards at this outer edge because of all the weight above bearing down at that point included also is the weight of the hull hanging out from the Keel.
The closer to the outer edge a Fglass boat is supported the better the support -period, irrespective of where the strake is.
As far as being the best position for drive on with your hull I cannot say have you tested it yet? cheers nq

Ashleym
11-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi nq

I haven't tested it yet. The only reason I thought it should be below the strake was that I thought I read somewhere that to allow the boat to centre itself the rollers need to be below rather than above.

If the outer support is better should I then have the rollers at the back as far to the outer edge of the boat as well? As you can just see the back sets of rollers sit more toward the centre line of the boat below the strakes. Seems to be two types of setup in the one trailer. I'm confused !!

Would be interested in other boat pics ...anyone ??????

Regards

Ash

Morlers
11-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi Ash

I will try and get some piccies of my setup for you over the weekend. Good choice in boat you have. Mine's a Haines Hunter Breeze 510.

:) :)

Morlers

NQCairns
11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
No need to get confused, outside of transport a trailers first job is to support the boat.
I like skids/bunks myself I think they work well in all respects even as a drive on trailer but with yours I would try and leave the rollers as close to the outside as possible but still allow for ease of driving it on. This really means do whatever works best for the drive on then see what you can do to give more support if you think it is needed, gotta suck it and see, you wont do any damage if the support is lacking in the short-medium term anyway on sealed roads.nq

Spaniard_King
11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Shees Perfect ;)

I think you could do with a bit more support up near the bow tho ???

Garry

Mr__Bean
11-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Ashley,

(As mentioned on another site)

I think you may have a seperate issue to address with the front roller brackets.

That is that it looks like they have extended the outboard roller bar out so far that it looks like it is now only held by one of the 2 U-Bolts.

If this is correct it will definately fail when any decent load is placed on it.

Please see picture below and compare with the previous ones that have no arrows etc.

- Darren

phewy
11-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Can't see it beanie. Can see both u-bolts. But can see the roller bar is bent/bowed, never had a mackay so don't know if this is pre bent from factory or not. Might be normal :-/

Mr__Bean
11-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Hope I am wrong here, but from memory the roller bars are 2 seperate units that are held in place by the 2 U-Bolts.

It looks like the one on the left is only being held by the U-Bolt on the left (not all the way through to the second U-Bolt).

Happy to be wrong for Ashleys sake here.

- Darren

phewy
11-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I get ya now. Might be why it looks bent too, because its 2 bars not 1. Don't know but ??? Any one with a mackay clarify?

Morlers
12-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Ashley

Here are pics of my setup. As I said my boat is a Haines Hunter 510 Breeze so I would assume that the hull would be similar.

Here's the front view

Morlers
12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
And here's the back view. By the way, the trailer is a Redco Sportsman with 20 rollers.

Ashleym
15-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Thanks everyone.

Darren - you are right about the 1 u-bolt holding the bar. Not the ideal I would imagine. Therefore need to close the gap between the two rollers. The question is which one the left or right??

Morlers - Very nice setup. Your trailer seems to be setup the way I would have thought with the rollers in a straight line with both inner and outer rollers sitting below the strake.

Nq - I can see where you are coming from. I thought #??? that these rollers were more for direction than support. There are about a dozen keel rollers that support the weight of the boat that I believed were the important ones. You learn something new every day.

Any further advice from you all is appreciated.

Ash