PDA

View Full Version : Johnson

garys
14-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I am a novice in the boating game. I recently bought a Johnson 120 VRO outboard on a Haines Hunter hull, off a guy who passed away due to cancer. I was not able to talk to him about all the details of owning a boat or running and maintenance.

When I had it serviced the service guy told me to mix the fuel 50:1 which I have been doing. I thought however that that was the purpose of the VRO and have since received contradictory reports. I understand that there is a fair amount of contraversy about VRO's and whether they should be disconnected or not.

My question is:

If I don't disconnect the VRO and I premix the fuel will it cause any great difficulties? I presume that it may clogg up the spark plugs?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary S

Spaniard_King
14-06-2005, 01:23 PM
You will not do any harm by not disconnecting the VRO

You will probably die from inhaling all those 2 stroke fumes ;D...shes gonna smoke a little more
The engine may suffer as you have siad fouled plugs.

An option is to keep running the VRO and mix 100:1 in ya tank just as a safe guard against the VRO failing.

The problem with the VRO 's failing is that they fail without the alarm activating, basically they are not foolproof. So running the VRO and adding a little oil is probably ya best bet.

Having said this some VRO's go forever. I had a 1996 50 HP which I found petrol had gone back up the oil line hence the alarm was not activated. The VRO was disconnected imediately after finding this. Auto oil mixing is a good thing under warranty but if it shits itself out of warranty you will be diving into ya wallet for thousands in repair costs and this goes for all brands not just Evinrude/Johnsons

Mixing ya fuel aint that bad ::)

Garry

redspeckle
14-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I agree with spaniard_ king get the VRO dissconnect
I done the same thing when bought my boat with 95 model joho on the back & I have had any problems since at least you know the oil is allready mix in the fuel before had instead rely on a vacuum system

Mitch

Brejen
14-06-2005, 05:45 PM
back to the topic at hand.
Garys, I also have a Johnson, 175 V6, had the VRO disconnected when i brought it not sure why whether it was due to not working or previous owner not wanting it. Wanted to have it redone but after a lot of disscussion with my Mechanic decided not to. The main reason was reliablity. As Spainard kings said out of warrenty and big $$$$$$. When travelling offshore for most of my trips i didn't need another worry. I now know that when i fuel up that the right amount of oil is going into the fuel, and don't have to worry about that part at least. Only usually find it a little smokey when i first start it, but not for long. IMO the extra few mins it takes to put the mixture together is a lot better than a few grand for repairs or even getting stranded 30-40km out if something does go wrong. Just my two cents worth, hope it may help a little.
Brett

garys
15-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks for your assistance fellows.....much appreciated

Gary S

hoga
15-06-2005, 04:57 PM
WHEN THE VRO WENT ON MY 175 IT OVER OILED SMOKED
LIKE CRAZY I THINK IT WAS ONLY THE VERY EARLY ONES
THAT STOPED PUMPING WHEN THEY FAILED
HOGA