PDA

View Full Version : hydrofoils

breamking
15-06-2005, 01:37 PM
could antone tell me please if a hydrofoil makes any difference and which brand.I have a 20hp mariner2stroke on a 3.7 stessel.

ali
15-06-2005, 09:18 PM
G'day breamking,a foil will get a boat on the plane quicker, I've had them on 2 boats, my first boat a 5m quintrex with 70hp, was hard to get on plane, put a permatrim on it and it made the world of difference it would plane even at low speed and it handled and rode alot better, but with my current boat a hydrofield 18 jaguar,It had a stingray foil on the motor when I bought it which is a 150hp evinrude intruder, the boat planed alright but the bow rode too low in the water and I couldn't raise it no matter how much I trimmed the motor up also the boat would shudder from side to side and it wasn't a comfortable ride a friend suggested I take the foil off so I did and wow what a difference that made it still planed easily but now I could trim the bow up as much as I liked and also the shudder was gone and she rode like she was on air the smoothest boat I'd ever been in, so what was good for one boat was NO good for another, thats been my experience with them. #cheers stiffrod!

billfisher
16-06-2005, 04:01 AM
They can be of benift if the boat is stern heavy and if at all underpowered. Otherwise they can detract from performance and can be downright dangerous. I doubt if you would need one on your tinnie. You should be able to adjust the trim by setting the angle on the motor and by distributing the weight in the boat.

dnej
16-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I believe in a following sea, they can cause problems. True or false?
David

Nathanrb4
16-06-2005, 02:58 PM
i`ve got a small stainless one on my 4.35 tinnie with a 40ph which cost me $95 and i don`t know how i did with out it. Even with 4 big guys onboard it planes easily, handles alot better and i can make tighter turns with out it cavitating. All this is great but the best thing for me is the saving in fuel i`ve been making. I reccon in 6 75km-100m trips its paid for its self.

Iggman
16-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I agree with Billfisher it can help if your underpowered. I put one on my 130 Yami on a 560 Quintrex and have not really noticed any difference at all, a waste of money.

Cheers Iggman