PDA

View Full Version : Stacer EVO or Quintrex Millenium

adds31
16-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Looking at buying new open tinny around 4.8 mtrs. Tossing up between Stacer Seahorse and a quinny FishSeeker. Does anyone own either of the two for any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers, Adds....

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-06-2005, 01:54 PM
i've got a stacer 4.75 Nomad (side console) - very happy

i can't see where the extra money is in a quintrex - i should say I can't justify the extra $

boats are basically the same design - from the same factory, the finish on the quinnies is flasher, with more add-ons & extras smoother lines.

I found in in the same size model the millenium quintrex hull gave me less underfloor storage & the bait tank at the above floor bait tank to be less desireable than the underfloor rear tanks on the stacer.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-06-2005, 02:11 PM
the quinnie is meant to be better in the chop

in an Ausfish Chris aka GWH exclusive the first ever side by side comparison shows the clever marketing - show the same concept one brand from the front - the other from the rear & the people will think it is different. #:o

The difference is the quintrex continues the flare to the bow with a concaved hull & side walls - the stacer evo doesn't - so esssentially quintrex says they cut the chop - probably true.

Go to the dealers & look for yourself - in a flat floor open tinnie underfloor may not be a priority.

I do like my stacer's no nonsense layout though & the difference in dollars may add up to some flash electronics

chris

adds31
16-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback Chris,
I was tending towards the the stacer for monetary reasons and heard a few good things about them as well. Not really sure but i have also heard that the new quinny's have a tendency to broach with that new millenium
hull. Don't know if its true or not but the boat i buy will be intended for a fair of offshore stuff so it would be handy to know.

Cheers, Adds.....

Iggman
16-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi I have a 560 Spirit Qunintrex with the millenium hull and have never had a problem with it. I have been up to 40 km out in fairly choppy seas and it rides great, and is a dry boat. I've been out in some pretty scary seas and it has always got me home. Never been in a Stacer, but a mate had one approx 17ft and he reckoned it was the bees knees, and he used it outside a fair bit (up to 12km out).
Cheers Iggman

Needmorerum
16-06-2005, 06:44 PM
I've been out in both. JD's (CQ_Nomad) Stacer Nomad, and my old mans Quinnie Top Ender. I don't reckon there is any difference between them at all.
The old mans Quinnie has needed to have a cracked weld repaired, which surprised me, it's a 2002 model. It cracked on the weld where the transom meets the floor, just off centre.
As far as not getting wet, you'll get wet in both, no matter what anyone says. Any sea with a bit of chop, and a side wind will have you wet, these things you just have to live with.
For me, when I bought my tinny, I found that Stacer (395 Proline Angler)gave me more as Factory and the Quinnie (385 Explorer Trophy) needed to be optioned up. You need to get the details on both and put them side by side to compare.
And take both for a good test drive. When I bought the Cruise Craft, some of the boats I test drove really surprised me how they handled.

Hope this helps
Corry

Leo_N.
17-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Split welds seem to be pretty common in the newer model Quinnies. Not sure about the Stacers, but they do come from the same factory.

TopEnder
17-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi guys,

My beast is a Quintrex 450 TopEnder with a Yamaha 60hp EFI 4stroke on the back and I think its fantastic. #Its nearly 12months old now, with no hassles except a few prop and cavitation troubles that have since been sorted with a nice stainless prop fron Solas. #I regularly use it up to and over 20km offshore with no worries. #(I live in W.A. if that makes any difference) #The ride is great and very dry for a tinny. #One thing people don't take into consideration is the flaring of the bow region when comparing the Quinny and the Stacer. #When you are headed home from out deep and the wind is up and you have a following sea you will be very greatful of the flared bow. #I've come back dry from Rotto etc. on days when much larger boats are digging the nose in and getting awfully wet. #If you have any questions feel free to ask away. #The TopEnder and the Fishseeker share hull shape but with different spec interior fitouts.

Regards Dave ;D #

TopEnder
17-06-2005, 09:49 PM
A picture of The Beast

Regards Dave ;D

TopEnder
17-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Another

Regards Dave ;D

TopEnder
17-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Last one I promise. As you can tell from the dates these were while ago but she still looks the same today except for the new prop. Got the digital camera in Sept. 04 and got boat beginning of August 04.

Regards Dave ;D

Big_Kev
18-06-2005, 02:53 AM
How does the Astra go towing the boat Dave?
Last Astra I drove spun the front wheels easy without anything hanging off the back under hard aceleration.

adds31
18-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks Dave for your info and pics. Nice boat you have there. Does your boat broach in a big swell or decent swell.

Cheers, Adds....

waznot
19-06-2005, 03:35 AM
hi guys, i was looking at either the stacer 525 centre console or the quintrex 530 legend. i studied them both carefully and deliberated over it for about 3 months. i eventually went with the quintrex because of a few factors, it had a 4mm bottom, as opposed to a 3mm in the stacer, had hydraulic steering standard, and was a wider boat. unbelievably, also, the quintrex was fractionally cheaper. my father in law has the stacer and is a great boat too.i take my 540 legend, as they call it now, 50 kms offshore and i am wrapped with it, only thing playing on my mind is "should i have went with a 4 stroke?" :(.

TopEnder
19-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. #The Astra has no problems at all, #it's all about balancing the trailer correctly with front wheel drives. #My new Subaru Outback arrives in 2 weeks anyway, then I can tackle some of the more slippery and sandy locations when I launch. #As for broaching Adds there is no issues in even the most uncomfortable swells as long as you use your trim correctly. (the flared bow helps if things go peared shaped ???) If you are going for something even remotely as big as mine or bigger, electric trim and tilt is a must so is going for the largest hp motor your budget will allow. (within specs ofcourse :-X) If you skimp for the sake of a bit of extra cash you will not be happy with the performance. 4strokes are the way to go if you are going to be a heavy user. I know the EFI 2strokes look and sound good but you still have to buy oil and no matter how much people kid themselves 4strokes are smoother, quieter and still use less fuel and without the need to add 2stroke oil ;D. #If you have any more questions Adds feel free to ask.

Regards Dave ;D

adds31
19-06-2005, 06:07 PM
No worries mate, thanks for that. I do intend on getting a 60 yammy 4stroke tiller for the vessel i choose. A mate of mine had the 50 yammy 4 stroke on a 5 meter savage cobia and it went really well for fuel enonomy. I'm sure he used to get about 3kms to the litre at around 3500 rpm's. 4 stroke for sure.

Cheers, Adds....

TopEnder
19-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Make sure you get a good stainless prop like a Solas or similar. #They are worth there weight in gold (yeah they sure cost enough ::) :o) #The performance of my boat improved greatly. #Also if you fish alone alot like myself a foil is a worthy consideration. #With the weight of the big 4banger and you at the back they tend to lift the bow up at slow speeds without one. #With one you will drop a little speed but the bow will not move at all.

Regards Dave ;D