PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Quintrex 385 Explorer??

_Matt_
15-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Am looking at buying a Quintrex 385 Explorer (not a trophy) sometime in the future.

Looking for any info that people may have on this particular model, including any feedback on the eclipse hull.

Are they really as roomy & stable as I have heard? Is the base 385 explorer model able to have a casting deck & false floor? & what is the main difference between this and the trophy model?

Cheers
_Matt_ #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

seqfisho
15-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Hi Matt,

I had a 385 explorer, non eclipse hull(97 model, way before they came out) I bought mine as a basic hull painted in and out with 2 thwart seats and full length rails and XL transom.

I extended the height of the front seat forward and created a full casting deck with storage are under, and framed up the middle between thwarts and made a full width flat floor, it all worked extreemly well and they are a great little boat, very stable and reasonable ride for a fairly flat bottom (non eclipse) hull. ;D

I ran mine with a 20hp 2stk merc and if flew along and cornered very well without cavitation or much slippage, in fact you had to hang on if you really hooked it aroung tight as it would just about throw you over the side. ::)

I used mine in the dams rivers and esturies, and never faulted it, even punching into a huge southerly buster that caught us out down the bottom of Burrinjuck Dam one time :o with 3 ft wind waves all over the place. :o

If I can find a pic or two I'll post them up, it was on the cover of the first edition of Peter Websters "Fitting Out for Freshwater" or something Magazine.

Glen.

southernson
15-06-2005, 10:54 AM
The difference between the trophy and the base model is the trophy has all of the options that the standard has. So its a fully optioned base model really. You'd have to do some sums n figure out if its worth while optioning a base model with what you want or goin all out n getting a trophy.
Cheers

basserman
15-06-2005, 11:36 AM
nope the trophy has a full floor with no thwat seat but has got two pedestool seats with four positions
also has underfloor storeage fule and battery racks and few other odd and bits ;D
i have the throphy and love it (still woudn't go another quintrex again)
the standared and throphy are alot diffrent and the only thing the same is the bottom side of the hull ;D
follow the link to see the pics of mine
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1116829860

sooty_mad
15-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Matt
The 385 Explorer is a good solid boat. As you do your homework however you will notice that all of the tinnie manufacturers put out a boat almost identical in specification to the Explorer.
I would hunt around and see whoever gives you the best deal.
I bought a 3.0m Stessl Edge Punt and fitted it out myself with a floor and front casting deck - one days work.
This boat was bought just for electric motor dam work and it has been fantastic. I have attached a photo of the beast.
Kind regards... David

Richo1
15-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Matt,

here's a photo of mine, I bought it brand new about 8 years ago with the casting platform and full carpet floor. It has been a great boat with no problems what so ever. It is the next size down a 375? i think.
I'm now looking to get a bigger V bottom tinny so I can venture a bit further out across the bay etc. if your interested in a second hand one ;D

Richo

_Matt_
16-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks fellas, the thing that caught my eye about this particular hull was the eclipse design. They reckon you can stand on any corner of the boat and still be stable, yet it won't back down when theres a bit of chop. I would go a trophy if it wasn't going to be a car topper, just too heavy.

Keep the feedback coming,

Cheers,
_Matt_

mako_5.2
16-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Matt
They would be a heavy car topper, 102kgs without any floors I think. They are also pretty wide for it @ 1.8m. We bought one for the old man for CHristmas and I would hate to try and put it on the roof. Top boat anyway.

stunnedmullet
21-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi Matt
Just bought a 420 quintrex explorer(not trophy model)and 30hp yamaha 2 stroke. I had it painted and fitted with a a front casting platform and extruded side decks. As for stability, we had four of us in it, hit a school of grunter so everyone was up and excited all at once and the bota hardly moved. Very comfortable with a full load of people and gear. I sat on the side rails and fished with no effect on the rest of the boat. I was very impressed with the smooth ride and stability at rest. Definitely recommend the side rails though. Good rig
The mullet

adds31
21-06-2005, 08:08 AM
A mates father owns a explorer 385 and have been out on it a couple of times out at Glenlyon dam. Very stable boat and has no dramas of getting onto the plane with four blokes aboard with a 25 2stroke on the back. Great little boat for dam and river fishing.

Cheers, Adds...