PDA

View Full Version : Inspecting a used boat package

visarend
18-06-2005, 11:37 AM
G'Day to all

Due to a shrinking budget I find myself adjusting my sights slightly, away from the new boat market into the used market. Which can be a minefield for the novice such as myself.

From other posts I can tell it is best to look at the plate market, unfortunately I may have to look at pressed boats too.

So the question is, and hopefully this will help other prospective buyers as well, what are the signs to look out for when buying a second hand boat (hull, motor and trailer)? How can you tell it is not worth the while taking the transaction to the next step - getting an expert inspection?

Tracker
18-06-2005, 12:27 PM
u got mail

Big_Kev
18-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Signs of neglect are usualy a lot easier to pick with a boat, so you have that on your side.
What do you want in a boat?

Fishinmishin
18-06-2005, 01:12 PM
If you got around $9000 and looking at a new glass boat, give me a PM. Can source a package for $18000 with trailer, underfloor tank, live bait tank, rod holders, beilge, carpet etc. and a new 90hp yammy. Cheaper deals for smaller motors.
Cheers, Jay

bungie
18-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I think its a case of if the hull, trailer etc are in disarray then there is a good chance that the outboard is the same. People tend to look after the whole boat, so if its neat and tidy, good chance its all good .......... not always the case tho

joeT
18-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Ideally, you should go for a test drive in the boat if the owner will agree to it. Perhaps you may need to offer to cover the cost of fuel. A water test will give you a good feel for the boat.

Trailer - look for signs of rust, lights working, tyres bald etc. Have a look at the winch, trailer coupling, and just general condition. A lot of things can be fixed easily but they will add to your cost to purchase the boat package. If the trailer is showing signs of age/rust then you should factor into the cost the effective life of having to replace it in the near future.

Boat - Aluminium boats tend to not have as many troubles in the hull, but check for things like weld repairs, damage under the boat, condition of seats/upholstery, check electricals (if any) and condition of wiring, canopy and clears (if any), batteries, sounders, radios and just general conditon. Fiddle with stuff and get a feel of what is broken and needs fixing up.

Motor - I feel that the motor is the most important part because if it doesn't work, its a long swim home. Look for obvious damage and corrosion (as well as bubbling under the paint), make sure trim/tilt works fine, as well as steering, condition of the prop and skeg (these can let you know if the driver is a bit careless and tends to run aground a lot), take the cover off and look at general condition, fuel leaks, corrosion, cracked hoses etc. Make sure it starts ;D, idles, and revs ok. I like to get as new a motor as you can get, because it will be more economical, hopefully reliable, and easier to get parts. Although there are plently of good older motors around as well.

boatboy50
19-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Joe,

Why are you writing off fibreglass boats already?

Regards

Darren

joeT
20-06-2005, 07:31 AM
I just got the impression that he was after an aluminium boat, plus I dunno anything about glass boats :-/

ba229
20-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Ideally, you should go for a test drive in the boat if the owner will agree to it. Perhaps you may need to offer to cover the cost of fuel. A water test will give you a good feel for the boat.

I wouldn't buy a boat without a water test.

One of my local dealerships sells new boats as packages and when I asked if i could get a water test he told me they do not do water tests.

How the hell could I tell if that boat rode well just by looking at it. I thanked him for his time and left never to return.

Always go for a water test and ensure the motor is cold before it is started for the first time. Same goes for cars. motorbikes etc. Cold motors are harder to start than warm ones.

visarend
21-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Thank you for your help fellas.

Yes, I was looking for an aluminium boat, mainly due to a small towing vehicle and a difficult sloping driveway. So to keep the weight down is important. I also need the boat as a family boat - 6 people ( and the b....y dog!).

The good news is that I decided to bite the bullet (and talk the wife out of buying a pool) and buy a new boat instead. I'd rather pay the 4 - 5 grand extra for a new boat and have a 3 year warranty.

So yes, ;D and please don't crucify me (read some of the previous posts), I bought a Quintrex 540 Spirit with a Mercury 90hp Optimax brand new.

Went out with a mate in a 510 last year and was quite happy with the ride so I recon it should be the same or better in the 540.

Can't wait to pick it up on Saturday and then the maiden run on Sunday (if I can wait that long). [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

ba229
21-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Bloody hell. :o Some blokes are lucky hey? ;D ;D

Hope you enjoy the new boat. Atleast you will know it's history now :)