PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump conflict

dnej
15-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Fibre glass boat, 25 - 30 year old, (Savage Pacific) water runs down to the stern bungs, from bunk wells, when tested, but not through a pipe, as you can hear the trickling.

So there is no sealed bulkheads.
Is it best to cut an access hole, into the floor, near the stern,fitting a small screw in hatch, and placing the bilge pump , directly onto the bottom.

If you put it on top of the floor, the boat would have already taken on a large volume of water, before the pump could operate.
Seems a bit late to me.
Regards David

coasty
15-06-2005, 02:56 PM
id be doing that.
is it leaking or was it just you with a hose testing it out.

dnej
16-06-2005, 07:53 AM
It was a hose test job, to make sure that each bulk head was not sealed, for inbuit floatation.
Apparently, some boats have a drain pipe through the middle, that allows for drainage through, but keeps the bulk heads sealed.
No point in placing a bilge pump under floor, unless water flows from one bulk head ,to the other, so I am told.
Anyone else installed a bilge pump this way
David

gavsgonefishing
17-06-2005, 06:40 PM
If you are serious about getting rid of water quickly, the only way to go as I see it is to put a plastic inspection hole with the lid you can buy from whit for approx 20 dollars, cut the hole on the back of the deck and fit a large bilge pump (approx 1100) with sika to the hull. Make sure you seal the material on the deck after you have sut the hole

it may help..

dnej
21-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Gav, yes thats what I recon, but apparently, some of the newer boats have sealed sections, and they dont drain from one to the other. This is an older boat, and we think it drains through the cross members at the keel point.
David