PDA

View Full Version : Good impoundment estuary and bay boat ?

gordonk
22-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi, Does anyone have either an Edgetracker 3.85 or Hornet around the same size that they use in the broadwater , rivers and impoundments around the GoldCoast ?
I am looking at buying a boat around this size with a 30 HP motor but don't want to end up getting swamped halfway to Jumpinpin etc. What are your thoughts ?
Places I want to go safely are all dams , most islands in the bay , Gladstone harbour etc.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
22-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Suggest you talk to bigE. He has a 4 mt Hornet. I have a 4.4 Jabiru and fish Gladstone harbour when the weather is right. Recently had a lovely day at Rat, but I feel you really do need to pick the weather.

Good Luck

Dave

Richard
23-06-2005, 03:39 AM
I have a 4.0m Egdetracker and as most people will tell you they are a really stable boat, perfect for impoundments and they really excel up the creeks. I have the V-nosed punt but get them into a decent chop and they will pound a bit (and get a bit wet). But I guess it's all a comprimise, you wont get the stability and really good ride in a chop.

For creeks and impoundments I love my boat, plently of floor space. When I first bought it we purposely put three guys on the one side and it didn't tilt much. Can't do that in a normal tinny.

Richard

Pash67
23-06-2005, 05:13 AM
I was looking at buying a new hornet & ended up getting a 96 model 4.2m Top Ender. Flared bow, pedistal seats, full floor, casting platform, under floor tank. Very stable boat and can handle chop. Good solid hull. I go over to Facing Island , Awonga dam & up the rivers. Glad I got it over a new one.

Good luck with your decision

Adrian

anthony_love
23-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi,

I have a 400 Hornet Trophy, although don't live in QLD. I mainly fish the Alpine dams in NSW with some estuary work during the warmer months. My boat is fitted with a 30hp Yamaha 3 cylinder, and a 55lb Minn Kota Riptide bow mount.

I find the 30 is okay for performance, although if I had my time again I would go for a 40hp eTec Evinrude. To obtain decent and consistent hole shot from the 30 I fitted a Permatrim, which made a world of difference.

The dams I fish can get quite rough with a BIG chop, and the hornet handles it quite well. I did option up to an automatic bilge pump though, and certainly wouldn't be without one. I've never shipped any water, but it's nice to know that if I do it can be pumped out quickly.

I looked at a stessel edge tracker before I bought the Hornet. brand new on the dealership floor, the stessel had warped harch covers. To me that is inexcusable. At least the Hornet has alloy core hatches.

Quintrex have a shocking reputation for build quality at the moment, and I won't disagree - they use too little care in the manufacturing process for my liking, but the flip side of the coin is a boat that holds its calue VERY well.

RobSee
23-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I have a 385 Edgetracker tournament. Fantastic with only two on board. Mine is a 2002 model, so it is only rated to 35 - I currently have a 25hp 2troke, but I'm going to upgrade to a 30 honda,

If you get a new model boat, you can put a 40 Etec on it, and then you would fly.

I've taken my boat to Mud Is in a 10-15 knot SE wind, with not too much trouble. 30knot winds in the Pin can be a bit sketchy, but as long as you are not too gung ho, you would be right.

It is a top rig for the price