PDA

View Full Version : Offshore at night

Pwoida
15-06-2005, 11:28 AM
This is just a bit of a general question so forgive me if it sounds stupid, but I read alot of posts about guys going out late in the afternoon and returning at night.
Now I don't venture offshore as I haven't yet built up enough experience and my rig isn't ready for it yet so I don't know alot about it, but how do you navigate your way back to shore though a bar at night? It seems like a tricky enough experience during the day let alone when you can't see the waves coming.
And here's a follow up question:
Does anybody navigate at night in the bay/estuary/offshore without GPS?

mackmauler
15-06-2005, 11:36 AM
pwoida, a lot of guys venture out from say mooloolaba at night which is a safe entrance, on say SP bar a gps can be ok to get an idea of the channel but as the tides change the waves will be in a different area, if you relied on a gps you will be on the bottom in no time, what sight you have be it with a spotty or whatever is the way to go.

Big_Kev
15-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Crossing a bar at night?
Not this little black duck.
You get enough scares when you can see where you are going.
Best to make your plans and pick the conditions so you can stay out till daylight and the skipper needs to be awake all night.
I have only ever done it the once with an experienced fisherman. Prefer to come inside before dark to a safe anchor for myself.
Cheers Kev.

Burley_Boy
15-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Picking a night with good moon helps and I agree with Rob on the spotty.
You may need a decent mounted spot so you can leave the light on and in position, I've found that handling a torch and driving is just silly desperation stuff. Not happy with my own lighting setup so I stay off the bar until I can see, be that moon or sun.

Dignity
23-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Pwoida, we got out Mooloolaba but then stay out overnight. We often find the best fish on dusk and up to about 11pm. After that it is sleepy time and then the early dawn fish. In recent years though have been questioning the morning fish as it is definately not as productive as it used to be and in fact we are finding it to be luke warm at best compared to about 5 years ago.

We are lit up like chritmas tree as trawlers work areas we like to fish and big ships do pass quite close by (well about 3 km away) in the night. Have thought of getting a radar deflector but have had mixed reactions from a lot of people on what to actually get/use so not sure what to use.

Sam

SeaSaw
23-06-2005, 07:57 PM
As Rob said, most people who come in at night (like me) are using safe entrances such as Mooloolaba. Even though I have a GPS, I do't need it coming in at night as there is a bloody great big lighthouse to head towards. ;D So navigation is not a problem. The entrance is also well lit and easy to find, and on top of that there are leads to line up with to guide you in the entrance, but you really don't need them. It has to be one of the safest entrance around and I wouldn't risk it on any other bar except mooloolaba around here.

Cheers,

Mark

SeaSaw
24-06-2005, 06:04 AM
Oops, forgot to mention that I also come in around Cape Moreton at night regularly. Forgot about that one as I don't really consider it a bar. Again this is a safe passage, and although it can get messy through there, it seldom breaks (and it it does then it is too rough to be out). It is a relatively easy place to navigate once you are familiar with the area.

Mark

Cheech
24-06-2005, 04:20 PM
In answer to your second part of the question, I fished Mud Island at night for about a year before I bought a gps. I knew my shore marks to be able to get back to the leads in the right spot.

Just as well really because I was out there about a month ago and had gps problems so got back based on my old shore references at 2.00am without the gps.

lovefishn
25-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Crossed the bar a few times at night, very risky. Wouldn't do it without a clear night and full Moon. If the weather turns bad you need to be prepared to stay out overnight can be the best option.

Angla
25-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Often return to Malooabah at night with 1 x spotlight on either side and a remote controlled search light under the bow sprit (I'm a sparky). Also use the Map Gps for contour detail, the garmin Gps for the trail and the fish finder to confirm depth of water. Couple that with the very visible light house and the fact that the eyes are peeled looking for water and wave irregularities and d1(k heads with no lights.
How safe do you want to be?

Angla

SeaSaw
25-06-2005, 07:05 PM
people who screech around in the dark would have to be complete morons

It you know the area and the capabilities of yourself and your vessel, then navigation at night is no problems.

The only morons are those that go out without proper navigation lights.

Mark

redspeckle
26-06-2005, 04:40 AM
I agree with SeaSaw in what he said below
The only morons are those that go out without proper navigaton lights
It ticks me right off [smiley=angryfire.gif]while being on the water of a night time way to many close calls with boats no lights on
Mitch

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
26-06-2005, 03:59 PM
"Happy" Maxw had to throw in his 'constructive' two bobs worth..........again.

The rules of the water are not dissimilar to the rules of the road. Be constantly on the lookout and prepared for anything. Fools without lights are certainly a serious problem. Sometimes you can jar them into reality by sending out a 'Securitae'. Not sure how to spell that. :-/ If they've got the radio on the lights usually quickly follow. ;)

Cheers
Dave