PDA

View Full Version : Stability and balance ?

Big_unit
21-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I am wondering which hull under 4.2 metres is the most stable and balanced for a big bloke (135 kgs). I would prefer a tinny or maybe poly. Just want something to go fishing/crabbing by myself around the Bay and up the inside of Fraser. Or is there something I can do to a hull to give it more stability ?

Cheers
James

dugong
21-06-2005, 03:35 PM
no idea which make is the most stable, the shallower the vee at the transom and the wider the beam the more stable a boat will be at rest and a low floor rather than a full (high)floor will help keep you lower in the hull and help with the balance. used to have a wide body quinnie ppl used to comment how stable it was at rest, great for crabbing and lure work.
the down side is the wide flatter hull does not handle the chop as well, tends to bounce over the top,compared to the narrower beam, deeper vee hull
hope this helps
cheers

Steven78
21-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I have a 4.2 boat which i am very happy with. With the load spread evenly there is no problem.

DR
21-06-2005, 03:39 PM
at 4.3 it's 100mm longer than you are after, but the Webster Twinfisher is lovely & stable. it was actually developed for the Hervey Bay area. worth a look.
cheers
Dave

phewy
21-06-2005, 03:58 PM
G'day James. How bout just adding a set of those floatation tubes to the side of a small tinnie. Dont know the right name for them, but see alot of small tinnies up our way with them on the side and they seem to aid stability heaps.

stunnedmullet
22-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Hi Big unit
Just taken ownership of a 4.2m quintrex explorer and must vouch firsthand for it's stability. The explorer is a v nosed barra punt, with a v and wide beam(1.9m)There are a number of these types on the market in one maner or another.
Wanted something that people(not regular fishos) would feel comforable and safe in while in the creeks and bays of North Qld and still manage it myself.
Loaded it up with gear eskies etc and four people for a run last week and was very impressed with stability at rest. Took the old man with us and he would weigh in around the 115kg mark. Not as mobile as he once was and subsequently blunders around a boat like a wounded wilderbeast. Got onto a patch of grunter and people were up and dancing around all over the place.No probs however and all four of us fished comfortably for the day. Must say that the extruded side decks certainly help as you can sit on them and the boat not even move. Must admit after spending the last 20+ yrs in v nose tinnies the explorer is by far the most stable I have been in.
The mullet

billfisher
22-06-2005, 05:56 AM
I have the 4.1 meter Polycraft after previously owning a 3.85m v shaped tinnie. The poly is amazingly stable compared to the tinnie, both at rest and when underway. It is also quite a bit softer riding as well.

Big_unit
23-06-2005, 06:14 AM
DR,
That looks like a mighty little boat, What sort of $$$ ?

Mullet,
I like it as well, wanna lend it to me ? Nah didnt think so.

I will definetly be lookin into both of these boats probably have to go second hand. Thanks for the tips, always open to more suggestions if anyone has more to add.

Cheers
James

DR
23-06-2005, 07:49 AM
gidday James, pretty hard to find 2nd hand. nobody wants to get rid of them. only one i can find 2nd hand is this one in Vic. same year & size as mine diff. model. also pretty well optioned up.
still thats more than i paid new.. don't know what they cost new these days http://www.websterstwinfisher.com.au/pdf/43forSale.pdf

cheers
Dave

stunnedmullet
23-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Sorry Big Unit, having waited many years for aquatic transport I am reluctant to let the "Stunned Mullet" out of my sight. Is it wrong to sleep in it in the backyard and park it so I watch TV from it???
The mullet

stu68
23-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi big unit,I"ve got a 4.2 wide body Quintrex with a 30 mercury
It"s a great little boat for the $$$$.Got it a year ago for about $7000.I can sleep between the seat"s with no problems I"m 6"2 and 110 kg.(pretty big unit myself)It has a top speed of 45 KPH
by GPS.It handles the chop as well as you expect for a ally boat that size.Some people on this site, will bang on about how quinnys
are crap.But I love mine.There is a guy who lives at Tugan who has 1 and he goes offshore in his.So that should tell you how stable and balanced they are.

DR
23-06-2005, 10:15 AM
There is a guy who lives at Tugan who has 1 and he goes offshore in his.So that should tell you how stable and balanced they are.

i have seen his reports on another site the name 'Willo" springs to mind.i think heath from here knows him???. he gets some big mackeral & snapper from that boat..

lordy
23-06-2005, 12:42 PM
bigunit don't think you can beat going out in each and seeing for yourself which you like best.

Burley_Boy
23-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Ah yes Willo knows his fish...But I agree, go out and try mate thats the best way.

DNO40
23-06-2005, 04:22 PM
A quinnie Horney is the Mullet and more. Try before you buy!!

DNO40
23-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Try Hornet....was thinking of other things

Big_unit
25-06-2005, 08:28 AM
I will be patiently testing out the prospects mentioned. Thanks for the tips fellas.

Cheers
James

vertico
26-06-2005, 04:14 PM
stability and balance ? you cant look past a stabicraft ;D ;D