PDA

View Full Version : Walkaround possible in a 4.6m size?

robfarside
27-06-2005, 04:41 PM
I am looking to design and build a plywood / epoxy glass hull to replace a 1975 Nautiglass 149 hull. 50hp Mercury 2 stroke power. The plan is to do a normal 4.6m hull but with the "cockpit" layed out as an "offset" walkaround steering position. That is, with a normal runabout steering position reasonably well forward, but offset to port a bit so that there is room to starboard to squeeze through up to the bow where there will be a little seat etc and also allowing good anchoring access. Make the whole length of the boat accessible for fishing. The steering position will still have 2 seats (but closer). The windscreen and canopy will be similar to normal, except for the stbd side alley. In effect I guess it will be a "fwd centre cab but cab offset to port and joined to the port gunwale". For comparison, the Stacer 4.6 Sunmaster has a beam of 2.2m so I figured it could be possible. Albeit the person walking through to the bow would not be a shot putter. Any opinions?

caloundra
27-06-2005, 05:05 PM
it might be safer to keep the weight balanced on either side of the boat
if you mainly fish one up then it sounds good
but if you mainly take someone with you and there is alot of weight on the centre and one side to far up the front the boat may be a little unstable

Daniel

Angla
27-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Would it matter if the boat leaned to one side or could the weight be offset by some other permanent evenly weighted fixtures. ie. batteries and storage boxes or even seats

Angla