PDA

View Full Version : Transom

adriancorrea
28-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone had heard about this before, My father in law was doing some research about replacing the transom and has read some where about having to have the boat of the trailer to do this.
Has anyone heard of this before and the reasons behind it?

Tight Lines
Adrian

NQCairns
28-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Its nice to have a stand that is true and square before pulling structure out of a boat, trailers are almost never that good. The boat was made in a mould with everything fitted before the first bit was completly dry.
I would consider support that is better than rollers, I was able to get my trailer nice and square and straight because it has 12foot skids and an overbuilt frame but it took a long while adjusting and tripple checking for the 10th time, hopefully I will see a boat that is true when it hit's the water.
Dont pull the outer skin, I have only done one transom and I thank my lucky stars I didn't take some advice and just cut the whole lot out, would have been a dogs breakfast of a job to get 'right' again. Inside is fiddlier but easier. cheers nq

predator
28-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Exactly as Nq states:
Dont cut the transom off
Take the gunnel rubber off,
Split the join of the hull and deck and support the deck on the hull with a couple of 20lt drums.
Chisel and grind the old timber out and layup your new timber into the transom.
Bit of flocoat over the new glass.
All thats left to do then is join the hull back to the deck and put your rubber back on.. ;)

No gelcoat work!!
So easy ;D

adriancorrea
29-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys
Thats exactly what I did, I took the inner skin out and dug out the rotten timber.
the trailer has skids on it but I dont think they are long enough.
We are taking it of the trailer anyway, just wanted to hear if anyone had heard of this before and the reasons for it.
Thanks once again

Tight Lines
Adrian