PDA

View Full Version : Old evinrude 25hp Help ?

markpeta
27-06-2005, 03:20 AM
Looking to find out what year model is this evinrude 25 hp this is ?

A/ Looking for a second hand starter motor working my one at the moment will click but wont jump up the battery is fully charged any ideas.

B/ Not charging the battery any other ideas 99% sure that the wiring to the battery is correct and the battery is new.

I know it is really old but if I cant fix these problems will put up with it untill it really dies but its just for the passage and it goes well apart from pull starting it.

Mark

markpeta
27-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Another pic

blaze
27-06-2005, 03:37 AM
you could try and put a set of jump leads directly onto the terminals on the starter motor, good idea to disconect any other wires first or even take the starter off to do it. If the starter works then it will be the solinoid, if it doesnt work then it may be something as simple as a stuck brush and the brushes could be changed by yourself or an autoelecie, be a lot cheaper that way
cheers
blaze

markpeta
27-06-2005, 04:17 AM
when u turn the key will it still make a click in the starter motor if the sonilod has gone?

markpeta
27-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Got the starter motor working replaced the coil and cleaned the brushes and all new wiring to the battery and key start/kill switch works like a dream.

1 last thing to go How does the motor charge the battery cant see any wires does it come back through the coil or something ? HELP

markpeta
27-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Sorry one other thing theres what looks like an inspection point on the leg of the motor can i use gaskey goo to seal it up as the old one was perished.

Mark

markpeta
27-06-2005, 10:36 AM
leg inspection point can I use a gasket goo to seal

markpeta
27-06-2005, 10:37 AM
new coil how does the battery charge

markpeta
27-06-2005, 10:38 AM
other side

anthony_love
27-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi there,

Can you put together a list of the questions you want answered about the motor and I'll do my best to help out.

Regarding the cover plate on the mid-section - get some gasket paper from the local auto parts store and make up a gasket. If you use gasket goo, it'll be too hard to get off next time, and they really aren't that critical anyway.

Regarding year model - send me the model number of the engine and I'll let you know. It'll be on a small rectangular plate, mounted on either one of the stern brackets, or at the front of the motor near the transom clamps.

Big_Kev
27-06-2005, 01:57 PM
For the year model on that donk- call 1800GOD and ask for NOAH.
I am sure he used that one on his tender. At least that is how old it looks from here.
I had a 80 model 25hp once and it went forever and could not kill it.
Cheers Kev.

markpeta
27-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Anthony,

Dont need the model number now got the starter motor going though I might have to get a second hand one. I'll get the paper for the gasket thanks for that one. The only thing left is how does the motor charge the battery ?

Kev,

Couldnt get a hold of noah this morning must have been at church. I reckon its at least 30 years old never broke down on me touch wood bought the boat and trailer and motor of an old bloke on the island about year and half ago paid $1000 all fully reg. Go out every weekend some times twice and all I've had to do is change the plugs and just fixed the starter motor about $60.00 it just won't die.

Mark

Big_Kev
27-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Anthony,

Couldnt get a hold of noah this morning must have been at church.
Mark

RAFLMAO

Spaniard_King
27-06-2005, 04:44 PM
markpeta,

Looking at the pics ya have supplied I cannot see a rectifier attatched to ya engine . The red wire attached to the + lead will come from the rectifier. Most likely ya rectifier is shot but you need to test the coil under the flywheel to make sure it's not the problem. Crank the engine and see if you can get any AC voltage out of the wires coming from under the flywheel to the rectifier.

yes I did change my post after a closer look ::)

cheers

Garry

NQCairns
27-06-2005, 09:36 PM
From what I understand if someone has fitted the starter some time in the last 40 odd years it may not have a lighting coil under the flywheel to produce ac that would then be turned into dc for the battery by the rectifier like Garry has mentioned.

To me here are your options:no lighting coil or rectifier= need both.
Has one and/or the other and one/both broken = need both or the faulty one replaced.

Just an idea, with a decent 500 sized battery you should get 30 or more starts before it gives up, enough for a day anyway and you have the pullstart as backup. But I wouldnt' expect much more than a year out of the battery.

You can buy rectifiers for small change at Tandy or Dick Smith (I forget which). No need to pay per ounce for one from a marine outlet, but it will be less of a "plug and play" fitment but just as reliable.
You may need to inspect those points under the flywheel sometime, might be the excuse you need to fit a lighting coil? At least I assume it has points. cheers nq

tideline_two
28-06-2005, 07:52 PM
that is roughly a #late 1960's model. has far has it chargeing the battrie forget it. there is a very small amount of voltage generated by that model of motor. enough to keep it running but thats about it.

littlejim
29-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Mark,

good to see you got it going.

however re the solenoid going 'click'. i had a starting problem with my 70 evinrude. The solenoid went 'click', which meant that the primary circuit which works the magnet was fine. The magnet pulls a big copper washer across the hefty thick wires that go straight from the battery to the starter motor. that's where all the amps have to go. On mine years of corrosion meant that despite the nice 'click' not enough amps went to the starter motor. I had to clean the washer and contacts inside the solenoid to get it to work all the time.
The problem showed up as a perfect start when the battery was fully charged, ie. first couple of starts on a fishing trip. then 'clicks' with no start when the voltage dropped below about 12.5, later in the trip - say when the bad weather appeared or when you were the furthest away from the ramp.
With the age of your donk I would have a look inside the solenoid, or get a spare, just to make sure that corrosion in the secondary (high current) section won't be a future cause of trouble.

markpeta
29-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Little Jim,

Cleaned out he the starter motor was a bit dirty sanded back the bushes and where they contact to. Took about 30 minutes to get everything back together the bushes kept jumping out. Put he coil onto it and all new wiring to the battery.

Went to do the windsceen today the bloody angle grinder decided to jump out of my hands run up the inside of my leg [smiley=freak.gif]and tangle up in my shorts :o had to cut the grinder out from my shorts only a few scratches lucky [smiley=behead.gif]come close to the groper. Think I'll leave it for another day.