PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke or 4?

moisty
15-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Going around and around with this decision and getting nowhere.CC's versus Hp?Who knows because I dont

propdinger
15-06-2005, 02:24 PM
what size range you talking???
and what type of boat??

craigie
15-06-2005, 02:29 PM
GET AN E-TECH, BEST OF BOTH WORLDS, optis are o.k as well ::)

moisty
16-06-2005, 12:32 PM
4.95 truck with around a fifty suzuki 4st maybe larger if they upgrade the 3mm bottom to a 4mm,or there is a possibility of looking at a 4.8 fisher,a new line of enquiry for me(like I needed to muddy the waters any more than they are now).Heard about a guy in antarctica who until this year had been running yamaha's (diesel mech.)had a very ordinary opinion if the the etec's but it could be the obvious reason for that.

damons33
17-06-2005, 03:51 AM
one other thing that never gets mentioned about 4's is the fact they are a high compression ratio and thus have more torque and don't tend to over rev down waves and hold the revs into waves, so you dont need to be throttling on and off all the time to maintain a constant boat speed in seas- if you are going to use it at sea that is! the extra cost seems to be the biggest factor with most.
damon

Spaniard_King
17-06-2005, 02:46 PM
4 stroke ;D

nuthing else matters 8)

SeaSaw
17-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
its the only way to go!
;D ;D ;D

moisty
18-06-2005, 07:42 PM
It would seem that there are'nt a lot of pro 2's out there even to play devils advocate.Am inclined to head in the direction of a 4 given that a comparable wiz bang 2(ie;optimax,etec ect) are even more expensive, I like the minimal service for them,but I am a big fan of regular servicing to keep on top of potential problems and have a desire to know thy enemy,my current motor has become my nemesis and I will be happy to see the back of it.Mind you I have had it since 86 I suppose its earnt its keep.Was a much better rower back in the old days,gettin too old for that crap now!
I have been assured by dealers that the pollution laws are not going to change anytime soon with guestimates of around 13 years which would incline me back to a 2 for cost reasons because there is no way I'm going to cover start up outlay with fuel savings.I guess you have to look at the messenger to,dealers are at the end of the day trying to close the sale or clear stock or whatever it is they have to do to get by(not that theres anything wrong with that).
I got time so I guess I'll sit on the fence a little longer<thanks for your input fellas.

DNO40
19-06-2005, 01:52 AM
A Two would do but a four will give you more

waznot
19-06-2005, 03:43 AM
gleeza, mate i went with a 2stroke 115hp yamaha instead of the 4stroke. the reasons for this are- $2300 cheaper, almost half the price for service costs, and 21 kgs lighter.however, if i was a pro, or a guide, i would have bought the 4 stroke, but because sometimes we can't get out for anywhere up to 6 weeks because it's blowin, then $2300 is a lot of fuel, do you know what i mean? personal decision mate. :)

moisty
23-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks waz it is the backbone of most arguments I have encountered to date and a valid one at that but at this point I can probably afford it and I doubt if that situation will last.

krtazy
30-06-2005, 01:19 PM
if you are going to do a lot of trolling then i would definately go with a four stroke. But as woznot says they are more costly.