PDA

View Full Version : Tralier Help

loozitt
28-06-2005, 03:42 AM
I own a 635L Haines, which I am having difficulties supporting properly on my trailer. I just spent 2k on fixing floor damage which the trailer has created. With the weight of the inboard, it was pushing the swing arm on the back of the trailer back down, which in return pushing the front of the swing arm hard up into my hull. It was actually putting an arch in the hull. I've also been told that the roller configeration is not correctly set up for my vessel.

Does anybody now of any articles I can read or of anyone that could help me rectify my problem with my trailer.Does anybody else own a 635l haines with trailer photos, which I can conpair.

Thanks

NQCairns
28-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Bloody rollers more trouble than they are worth sometimes. I can think of a couple fixes one would be to extend the trailer side rails and re-pin the swingarm closer to the rear roller, this would decrease the fulcrum effect exerted forward of the swivel joint. Or you could just clamp or weld the entire swing assembly in line with the trailer side arms. cheers nq

Mr_Bean
28-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Agree with NQ's consideration above, decrease the fulcrum effect on the rear rollers.

As above you could re-position the pivot point, or you may find it easier and more effective to have it modified to include an addition pair of rollers forward of the current ones, see photo below. By having the pivot tube extended, re-gavalvanised and re-installed it would be a bolt up fix rather than surgery which may compromise your current galvanising protection.

This would provide an additional 4 rollers and fix the current upload on the hull at that point.

- Darren

loozitt
28-06-2005, 06:56 AM
What about putting keel rollers on, to take some of the load.

Will I still be able to drive the boat on, what about if the bars were clamped together, would I still be able to drive the boat on.

What I have done so far, is turn the bark swing arm around, putting the shorter part of the arm at the back of the boat, which meant I moved the boat forward 110mm. Seems to be a bit better, but still not 100%.There seems to be to much weight in the inboard, which is not getting supported properly.Well over 550kgs in the arse end. Extending the swing arm sound like a good idea so far.

Mr_Bean
28-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Trouble with keel rollers (in this instance) is that the keel is not where the load is.

Your situation is more like an inboard ski-boat where they put skids directly under the boats bearers to carry the weight of the engine. The bearers are where the weight is.

I think you need to support the weight in very colse proximety the the boat bearers, preferably directly under them.

For interest, what is the spacing between the boats bearers and how does it compare to the current centreline spacing of the roller pivots.

Having said all that, keel rollers could only help with the current load share not harm it. With regard to driving on, it should have no effect if you use the wide rollers.

Clamping the rear roller gides should be avoided unless you are always going to launch at steep ramps, if they don't tilt when the boat is half-way up the trailer they place enormous load in the centre of the hull until the nose of the boat comes back down to rest on the others, by tilting it shares the load over 3 pairs of rollers in this situation.

- Darren

loozitt
28-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Mr Bean,

I would have to agree with you about not fixing the swing arm, but I'm abit confused with the load on the keel, isn't that the strongest part of the boat. Supporting the keel, I thought might have taken more load off the rollers.

At the moment, I have positioned the outer wobble rollers about 15mm from the bearer. Not sure at the moment on the spacing of the bearers or centers of rollers. I've attached an old photo of the original roller positions, I've now brought the outer rollers further out.

loozitt
28-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Sorry forgot photo

loozitt
30-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Does anybod now of anyone that could look at my trailer and tell me what is required.
Any trailer articles on designing trailers, or laying out rollers.

jimbo59
30-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Big glass boats need keel rollers, a pair on every cross section i have a formula 233 and it only uses the outside rollers for balance only.Ring rhule trailers at sumner park the business is called trailer accessories wholesale they sell the tandam setup so its a bolt-on not weld-on propesition.

cheers jimbo

jimbo59
30-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Ihave just re-read your post an saw the problem the trailer is arching under the weight of the hull, it also needs to have a solid rod welded to the upper section of the box,boat will have to be removed and trailer slightly arched with a jack before welding.Do u live in brissy.

loozitt
30-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Jimbo59,

I have bought some keel rollers to put under the keel, I'm not clear with what you want to weld.Are you suggesting I weld a stiffening rod on top of the box section that runs the length of the boat. Or are you suggesting I weld the swing arms at the back to the trailer.
Yes I do live in Brissy.
Thanks for your help.

jimbo59
30-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Have sent u a pm

peterbo3
30-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Give Belco trailers at Brendale a call. They do 99% of the trailers for AMM but will modify any trailer to suit the load & hull. Not cheap but the advice is free.