PDA

View Full Version : having your sounder mounted into dash

troy
29-06-2005, 12:54 PM
any disadvantages of having your sounder recessed instead of mounted on dash and also gps.
thanks
troy

basserman
29-06-2005, 01:08 PM
my sounder is mounted and my gps is in dash
only porblem i really have is that i am now looking at updateing my electronics sounder isn't a problem but the gps being a older type is farily big so finding one to fit in the hole is a bit of a issue
there isn't any real problems apart from that and not being able to take them out while the boat is outside or whatever but if you live in a quite place like the contry thats no real issue either
just make sure where ever you put them that you can see the sounder from diffrent places like at the helm and also down the back so you can check what your fishing over as for the gps well you only ever need to see that while your driveing along ;)

blaze
29-06-2005, 01:32 PM
The only thing I dont like about dash mounts is there is really no way of shielding the sun off them to stop glare, may not be a real problem in queensland though LOL. Where if the sounder/gps are in brackets at least you can tilt them and swivel some. Would be more secure against theft in the dash but if they want it that bad they will take it any way
cheers
blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH
29-06-2005, 01:49 PM
what sort of boat you got troy ?

troy
30-06-2005, 12:12 PM
chris the boat is being built it is a 625 outsider.
the salesman told me if i bought a combo they would mount it in the dash.
problem being i do not really know how i feel about a combo.
i tend at the moment to lean towards separate units.
thanks for everyones help.
troy

basserman
30-06-2005, 12:14 PM
troy definty the separate untis are alot better

Volvo
30-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Troy, sumthin ta think about...Having both units mounted on the dash gives you visibillty ahead and a wee bit to the side when zooming in and anchoring on a particular spot plus a sence of where you are at the present , where'as if the unit is in dash mounted you tend to be looking down when trying to drop a pick and check the GPS/Plotter at the same time..
Like i said , sumthin ta think about..Personally i like to have all my units up on the dash along with comapass..
CHeers

finga64
30-06-2005, 02:06 PM
On the dash makes it easier for removal as well. Might stop the -rseholes from pinching or breaking the electronics if they see them just sitting in the boat. Sad, but must be considered. :-/

peterbo3
30-06-2005, 04:34 PM
On the dash is my favorite. You may need to watch the GPS to navigate & the crew watches the sounder for the little jumpup. Gives a little more flexibility. You can also drive to the GPS & keep an eye out for that bigger greenie coming over the front.
The sun will always bounce off a fixed unit at some time so that is also a consideration.
The other factor is heat. All electronics produce lots of heat which must be dissipated ( normally by cooling fins on the rear end) or you will cook em. An indash mount into a box dash may not let the heat escape. I am not familiar with the 625 setup but this is a general rule.

krazyfisher
01-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I have just mounted my sounder and gps in the dash and it is the first time i have done so but so far I like it it would be very hard to steal unless they had a lot of time( i never take them out anyhow, windscreen is tinted so no glare problem, I can see them find and they look much better and there is less clutter