PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler outboard

dad_io
30-06-2005, 12:26 PM
:P
HI guys, I recently bought a second hand motor ( chrysler 25 hp, model 252hb) I think its about 30 yrs old: would anyone know what fuel mixture I should be using as the guy I bought it from said he used 25:1 but this seems very rich to me. When he started it it ran OK but blew heaps of smoke.
Also would anyone have an idea on the spark plugs gap setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Marc

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
30-06-2005, 06:02 PM
100% sea water. Jettison from boat on artificial reef. :)
Sorry Dadio that was uncalled for, but blokes I have known over the years have had these motors and had no end of probs. I hope you're not going to join the list. I have not heard of any of them using 25 - 1. As far as I know they have all been 50 - 1.

Cheers and I hope no hard feelings,
Dave

dad_io
30-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Not a problem
only way I ever learn a lesson is thru xperience.
thanks for the info

anthony_love
01-07-2005, 04:32 AM
It'll be 50:1, and as far as plug gaps go - run them straight out of the box. Don't worry about gapping them to spec.

If it runs it runs, if not, don't waste too much money on it.

There was never anything inherently wrong with Chrysler outboards, they just went belly up and parts supply dried up. In the late 70's etc, Chrysler were actually a better machine than Mercury - unlike Mercury, at least Chrysler had discovered stainless steel!

dad_io
01-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Thanks for your help anthony
will see how it runs with the new plugs as is

cheers

NQCairns
01-07-2005, 05:57 AM
If you bought it for a fair price and you need to spend a couple of hundred on it to get a few or a handful of years service that is or is near cheaper boating than the first second you sign on the dotted line for a new engine, but you need to weigh it up pretty square.
Hope it treats you well. If you have problems most replaceable parts can be sourced from the US fairly easily (and cheaply). Do a search on "the shad connection" for just one seller.

dad_io
01-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks heaps for your input, btw what is "shad connection"

NQCairns
01-07-2005, 01:54 PM
One of the large aftermarket and original parts sellers to the public in the USA.Parts from the US can be as much as or more than 200% cheaper less freight than buying the identical piece over the counter here.

finga64
01-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Old doesn't always mean crap.
I'd rather a motor 20 years old and been looked after then a motor 4 years old and abused.
Bit of a worry about the parts bit though. Well worth thinking about if you need the boat all the time.
Godd luck either way ;)