PDA

View Full Version : Centre console - build or buy?

Dunks
30-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Just got a gutted 4.5 mtr Swiftcraft and I am looking at putting a centre console in it. Was just wondering if anyone has done this before and whether it would be worthwile to build a centre console or is it easier to just buy one. Has anyone ever priced one before in Brisbane?

boatboy50
30-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey,

You can get a new centre console made from aluminium but painted for 900-1000 including steering wheel, windscreen and helm, all made to suit different sized boats.

PM me if you need to know where from on the Gold Coast.

Regards
Darren

Dunks
30-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Forgot to say that it is a fibreglass boat. Would having an alloy centre consul matter?

blaze
01-07-2005, 02:40 AM
no alloy would be fine but if you were to prefab a mould out of strucual ply you can make it how you want it. build and sit it in the boat then make the changes that you will surely want, test again, modify test modify and when its right make a glass one and be happy its what you want, will take time and effort and will be what you want
cheers
blaze

mako_5.2
01-07-2005, 03:08 AM
I have seen a wheelie bin turned into a great console. Upside down with the wheel supports shaved off leaving an angled face to mount wheel and gauges. Alloy grab rail and reinforcing to finish it off

Jeremy
01-07-2005, 03:41 AM
some of the boat builders would make a fibreglass CC for you. Try galeforce and others. Also keep an eye on the for sale section in all the papers. They come up occasionally.

I have converted a tilly steer tinny to a centre console. There is quite a bit involved and it does add up. I would be surprised if you were able to do if for under $2000 (console, steering wheel and cables, control box, throttle cables, remote kit for outboard, move electronics and re-wire).

Jeremy

Bowser
01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I have done it to a tiller steer tinny as well. I believe it has worked out cheaper then buying a new boat, not by a lot but got what I believe to be a much better set up and exactly how I wanted it. With glass you can always make it up yourself from ply and glass. Should save plenty. Also I recommend putting non feed back steer in. The price difference is small and it is much better.

Fishej
01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Bermuda make plastic consoles (same materal as white plastic cutting boards). I think side console are around $300 no wheel, gauges etc. Ask at boat yard for catalogue sizes are written in.

Dunks
01-07-2005, 06:07 PM
I all ready have the engine and all controls, cable, pulleys etc in my current boat so all I have to do is put a floor in this one and set up the steering but it can't go up the front like on my old boat as there is not a big enough nose?? section and no windscreen.

I am thinking it will cost me around $1000 dollars tops. Don't plan on making it too flash yet :)

What is non feedback steer? I just have cable steering on it currently.

Got prices today for both ally and f/glass. Looking at $500 each for basic consoles. Better than I thought. There was one in the Trading Post for $300 last week, haven't rung him yet to see if it was sold.

imagineer
02-07-2005, 08:48 AM
keep an eye on ebay the odd one pops up there as well

Neil