PDA

View Full Version : Ezi-move Jockey Wheel ?

hercules
02-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Has anyone bought or used one of these ratchet style jockey wheels? Was hoping one would be able to move a tandem trailer slightly sideways or around a corner . They say it has front , back and sideways movement . I'm sure most would know how hard it is to move a tandem trailer around corners by hand , so one of these if its capable would save many a busted back .
The total boat and trailer weighs 2 tonne.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Craig

Spaniard_King
02-07-2005, 03:21 PM
I recon, if ya practise backin ya trailer in for 3-4 hrs a week. In a coupla months ya will have it down pat...no need for a new Jockey wheel ;D.

Seriously Craig, its not gonna make much difference what Jocket wheel ya have on the front of a 5.8m + boat.. there all hard to move around. If you muck around with the Jockey wheel height and take some weight off it, it may be easyer to moove.

I still recon backing in correctly is the go ;)
Garry

Bosunsmate
02-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Get rid of that bloody useless solid rubber anchor and get ya self a pnuematic type wheel, the mates got one on his mechanics trailer which is about 2 or 3t and it has made the job of moving it a comparative breeze.

I have a solid on the front of my 3.6 and its a right royal bastard to move when the grounds a bit soft...

Better still practice reversing as spaniard says.....set a couple of wheelie bins up in thelocal car park one sunday and practice till ya run out of fuel..:)

hercules
02-07-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm actually quite good at reversing , its just backing around the corner of my shed ,while missing the gate post by 100mm, then missing the bobcat and then missing the gate post again this time with the front of the truck. The joys of owning a 6.5m chev, they don't fit too well ::)
I guess the only other option is to move the gate and forget spending $150 on a ratchet wheel and spend it on another fishing reel ;D

Craig

Tracker
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
they work real good on my van.lets me park where its impossible to back.mate has a batt powered one to park van front in.too much time too many toys ::)

Mr__Bean
03-07-2005, 01:19 AM
I too have to manipulate a tandem (2500kg+)around a tight space to get it into the back yard.

I mounted a simple towbar to the front of my landcruiser and now just drive it into place. Having the tow point right where your steering wheels are makes it a breeze.

Mine is just a piece of square tube and angle iron that bolts directly to the chassis where the heavy duty tow-hook usually is. As you only move around below walking pace it doesn't need to be super strong.

Once you have one of these you won't go back.

- Darren

phewy
03-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I know what you mean Craig. Your car just wont fit. These systems would be ideal for you. Have sold these to people with 20 -30ft vans, some with tri-axles, where they have to swing around houses/garages etc and no room for car to swing. There are 2 good hand ratchet brands on the caravan market. One is the Maco Mule, available in single or dual wheels or the Power Mover brand. The latter is the cheaper option and most popular, but the dual wheeled Maco Mule is great for larger vans or on surfaces where traction is limited like grass/stones etc. Very expensive tho.
Remember that the clamp has to be right up the front so as you can swing the handle around both sides of the coupling. And if you do get one remember to always wind the wheel back down to its lowest point after winding off vehicle or you may bend the tube when using the ratchet.

Angla
03-07-2005, 02:03 PM
I'd look at Mr Beans setup.

I did the same thing on my Pajero but over the left hand side as that made it perfect for me to reverse the boat past the gate, missing the fence and pool filter, giving perfect vision for the house wall clearance.
Have since sold the Pajero and am yet to do it to the Jackaroo which has a alloy bullbar.
I am back to the reversing trick and heaving on the ratchett jockey for the last bit.

Go the front tow point if possible, just make sure it is on the right side depending on which way you are turning

Angla