PDA

View Full Version : Wynnum Boat Ramp

2iar
11-06-2005, 03:30 PM
I was out & about with work today at Wynnum, and had a quick look at the boat ramp, since I was nearly passing it. It seemed a nice wide 2 lane ramp, with a channel out to the bay. Parking looked a bit limited though.

It looked pretty good, but I'm assuming it gets really busy on weekends, and finding a park would be the biggest problem? is this right? Are there any others Ausfishers would recommend?

Also, is that Green Is. just offshore - is it 11ft tinnyable?

Thanks for any replies,
Mike

youngfisho
11-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Manly is not too bad. there are two different ramps. The north end near the coast guard building. And the southern ramp. both are reasonable ramps with sandy bottom to park your boat. The northern ramp I have used heaps of times. It does get busy during the weekend. But given that I go out during the week I dont get the hassles, such as a saturday morning. There are also rope rings on the concrete steps with rubber keep stops on the lower half of the steps. So you can tie you boat up if you are launching by yourself and worried about it floating away.

Green is only a five minute run from the harbour and privided you pick your conditions can be easily reached. Best spot to try is the 4-5m contour on the eastern side just on dawn or dusk.

The harbour is good for collecting squid and small baitfish before going out. But dont expect there to be anyfish on a weekend during daylight hours.

Wello point is also worth a try and only takes one minute to reach huybers beacon and you can put squire\bream\sweetlip off this spot

andrew

Big_Kev
11-06-2005, 05:13 PM
The Ramp you speak of sounds like the one at the mouth of Wynnum Ck.
Its not to bad but I always go to the Manly harbour. It is just as close to Green and there are several ramps in the Marina area with heaps of parking. St Helena is a little further to the north and has the radio towers on it.
Green is only a short run and offers some protection from the elements. You will have to judge it on the day if it is safe or not. You will know the limits of your boat. Don't go if it is to windy.
Also make sure your safety gear is up to scratch the water rats haunt the area.
There was table and chairs and a wood barby last time I was there, along with plenty of mossies at dark.
Cheers Kev

2iar
11-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice Kev & Andrew. I've never put the boat in South of the river yet, and I don't know the area well at all.

I was thinking of taking the wife and little fellah for a picnic on Sun/Mon. Might suggest Manly for a covert reco of the ramps :-)
Like the sound of WP too...sounds just the job in a small tinnie.

Thanks again,
Mike

Big_Kev
11-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Sunday at Manly is great for the family.
If you drag the tinny with you there will be room to park at the Manly ramp, sunday is looking good.
There are some markets to check out, you can grab a bite at the jetty cafe, all within walking distance of the ramp.
If you bring your bikes you can take the family along the esplanade bike track.

seaspot
04-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey Reel Hard. I hear that you went on a charter for your birthday and that the captain put you straight onto the fish, so they were mainly bait fish but the deal is that you will get a fish it does not say what type or size of fish. The squire and parrot would have tasted good. Glad to have you on board to enjoy the poly experience and my extensive charter experience. Your advice on the ramps at Wynnum are accurate.

seaspot
04-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Mike. When we hook up and fish in the big poly I will show you the seaspots around wello, green, St Helena and mud. On a good day you can do some great fishing around all of these islands in your boat. Just be aware that it can turn nasty very quickly especially around mud. Green should be now problem. Put in from Manly as it is the closest. Catch up soon.