PDA

View Full Version : Stessl Sea Hawk 6m

visarend
08-06-2005, 06:34 AM
G'Day

A friend recommended that I should chat to the experts before I buy my first boat, so here I am... ;D

I am looking at the boat described below and would appreciate any feedback (+ or -) on the package. I hope to use the boat for family fishing/skiing, mainly in Moreton Bay and around Moreton Island.

2002 model STESSL SEA HAWK 6M
Honda 115hp 4 stroke with 125hrs,
VHF and 27meg radios,
Navman sounder, Navman 5500 colour GPS chart plotter,
hydraulic steering,
dual batteries, and
extended Bimini.

noluck
08-06-2005, 07:58 AM
+ ;D

visarend
08-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks No Luck, I'll see if I can get a photo over the weekend.

Blueby
09-06-2005, 01:08 PM
You should be aware that in 2002 stessl changed from 3mm to 4mm hulls on these series so basically later model 2002 is more boat for your money. Check out which this boat is b4 you part with the hard earned.

I have a 2004 bluewater which is same hull / different layout to seahawk. Very happy with it and more than capable for the bay and family. Also being your first boat they can take a few knocks while you work on your boathandling as i have ;D

4 stroke def the way to go too in my opinion

visarend
10-06-2005, 05:50 AM
You should be aware that in 2002 stessl changed from 3mm to 4mm hulls on these series so basically later model 2002 is more boat for your money.

Thank you for the valuable information Blueby, was not aware of the change and will definitely check it out first.

nigelr
10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Appt'ly the 4'mm hulls ride considerably better than the earlier models, factor this into your buying equation. Regards and good luck.

devocean
10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
The sea hawk is the tri hull. Looked at one with twin 60s on the back with full nav man for 28 000. However I have heard the tri hull is pretty ordinary through big swell and dosnt have a big enough V. Have also been told this by other fellow ausfish memebers. Go back through the posts on this section and find a post called "Is this is a good deal" you shall find some info there on this boat

Blueby
11-06-2005, 04:36 AM
Devocean

Thought you might reply to this. Still havent bought yet mate?

Am pretty sure the tri hull is a different hull to the standard seahawk monohull. ie the tri hull is an option

Have heard the same things about the trihulls (but havent ridden in one) - good ride in bay wind chop but bangy in offshore conditions

visarend
11-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I am going to take a look on Saturday. I don't think it's a tri-hull, will find out and take some photos. It is also a 4mm hull and 3mm sides (according to the seller). Can anyone think of an easy way to verify this?

mako_5.2
11-06-2005, 11:31 AM
The 4mm bottom should be a plate bottom with the track rails welded on the bottom. The 3mm bottoms have the track rail as well as smaller pressed strakes. Have a look on stessl site. When I bought my mako cuddy cab the sea hawks were the half cabin. Do your self a favour and take it for a decent test run to see if it suits

visarend
11-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Mako, thanks. Will take a look this weekend and if it's the boat for me, I'll take it for a good run hopefully the following weekend.

Your help is much appreciated, thanks

Lucky_Dave76
11-06-2005, 03:14 PM
You are a bloody Warrior Leon! Put your nuts on the line and buy a bloody boat.....I need another mate who is as broke as I am! They don't call them a hole in the water in which one poors money for nothin! The boat you are looking at sounds good and I look forward to photos ect...I have nothing of importance on this week so let me know and we might be able to go for a "photshhoot / sea trial" during the week. Give me a call or email when you can..have a good w'end
Dave

visarend
11-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Lucky Dave

I've won the first battle (the misses gave me the official OK) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] and I've got the bankmanager on the ropes - she's good looking and like fishing ;D. So if all goes well next weekend might be THE weekend - about time!

visarend
13-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Thank you for all your help guys. Had a look at the boat and took a few photos. The boat looks good, needs a few touch-ups on the paint though and the trailer has a few spots of rust. One of the very attractive things is that the owner had the windscreen modified by Stessl so it can fold down with the rocket launcher. It also comes with a boat load of accessories.

Unfortunately it has the pressed strakes Mako was referring to, making it a 3mm bottom plate. Not ideal, but certainly worth considering.

Here is one of the photos (hope it works)

visarend
13-06-2005, 11:11 AM
And another photo from the other side

mako_5.2
15-06-2005, 07:58 AM
If the dollars are right it is still plenty of boat tripping around the bay. Did you test run it? I would not be to put off by the 3mm bottom. There are a lot of boats with 3mm bottom.

visarend
15-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Mako, no I didn't take it for a test run. I felt the $'s asked are a bit too high and I will only take it for a run if the seller comes down in price. I am also a bit concerned about using a 3mm hull outside the bay. ???

I might make an offer this weekend if I don't find anything else :-[. Not easy this buying a boat business...

devocean
15-06-2005, 04:47 PM
How much was he asking?

visarend
16-06-2005, 09:18 AM
How much was he asking?

$37k

bugman
16-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Visarend,

Just to give you a feel for what's out there.

I got a 6.5m Lighting Plate half cab with a 130hp Honda with lots of extras for $35,000

Bugman

visarend
16-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks Bugman.

Do you have some more specs for me, year, 4/2 stroke, hours or is it listed in the 4 sale section?

bugman
17-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Sorry mate,

I meant I bought the Lightning last year for that amount - there's no way I'm selling her ;D

Just letting you know what can float around in the second hand market if you keep looking.

Brett

visarend
17-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks Bugman, I'll keep on looking...

devocean
17-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Where did ya find that one bugman. Ive been looking now for almost 3 months and it is hard to find a good tinny. Tend to be a lot of glass boats for sale round 6 but hardly anty tinnys

visarend
05-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Tailorfish

Didn't go for a test in the end. Amongst other things the 3mm bottom plates turned me off a bit so instead I bought a new Quintrex 540 Spirit with a 90hp Optimax. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Great boat, took it out over the weekend for a good break-in run.

tailorfish
06-07-2005, 02:06 AM
I did my boat license in one of these a few years back. I understand that the hulls are built to survey for pro charter use. It performed very well. How did your test drive go?