PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab test

blaze
30-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Well I have finally test my tabs, boy do I love them. Always said my hull was a good performer with the only problem being a bit of wind list. with the tabs you can make the boat do what ever you like with the combination of engine trim and the tabs, so if your boat is around 6m and you are thinking about tabs, just do it
still to test in tassie chop
cheers
blaze

troy
30-06-2005, 03:09 PM
now blase that will be the big test [the tassie chop against the nqld 3.5 chop.]
troy

Sportfish_5
30-06-2005, 03:16 PM
now blase that will be the big test [the tassie chop against the nqld 3.5 chop.]
troy

What happened to the 2ft chop ?

The bar has been lifted again ;D

Cheers

Greg

blaze
30-06-2005, 03:27 PM
ok
I think I may be able to bottle some tassie chop and send up, so when you see a bottle floating around up there but on the odd accaision it seems to leap above all other chop you will know that it has arrived, so please dont break the bottle as all hell will be unleashed and remember it is not discarded rubbish it is tassie chop (you will see the difference)
cheers
blaze

Sportfish_5
30-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Blaze - you already must have sent the tassie weather up here :-X ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

NQCairns
01-07-2005, 06:09 AM
Blaze if I spot that bottle it is getting airmailed back! We dont want your chop you can keep it :o.
Even a cyclone up here cannot compare to one of your normal cold fronts for rough water. FNQ is the saltwater lake boating capital of Australia (inside the reef)
Glad you are happy with your tabs, how much slower can you plane now?cheers nq

Baycruiser
01-07-2005, 08:59 AM
What type did you install & what boat are they on??

blaze
01-07-2005, 09:38 AM
the tabs are gibson tabs, they operate by 2 hyd levers that on the full stroke of the lever give max travel on the tabs. Purchased 2nd hand. I like this set up as there is no electrics to go wrong and to me that has to be the biggest plus around salt water.
The boat
I make the call that its a Hartley, well at the very least I believe a hartley was turn upside down and a mould was taken off it, there is a pic of it in the early pages of what boat have you got,sitting morooned on a beach.
cheers
blaze

blaze
01-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Nq
still playing props and didnt try low planing speed, new 4 blade coming soon
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
01-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks Blaze, do you mean it has no electric pump for the hydraulics? I like that idea also[smiley=2thumbsup.gif].
Will be interested in your thoughts on them a bit longer term, if they are still being made :-/. cheers nq

blaze
01-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Nq
the control unit consist of 2 handles that operate displace in one operation of the lever an amount of oil that move the tab piston the complete stroke, when the lever is returned to its original position the tab is returned to the orignal postion via water pressure and a small return spring in the tab cyc. The control lever is firm to move but is still a very easy movement (probaly same effort required as hyd steering) No electrics, bloody lovely that is.
I first seen them about 5 years ago on a boat and could find no one that sells them although they did appear in a google.

iandrews
07-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi Blaze
Read with interest your article on "gibson" t/tabs
Do you know where I can get my hands on a set or who makes them? I've seen them on an older style ski boat but can't seem to track them down,hope you can help
kind regards
Ian

blaze
07-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi Ian
There is a pic in a post called transducer deflector (or something like that) that I posted today. I did a google and didnt come up with much, got mine 2nd off ebay and had to make one new piston
cheers
blaze