PDA

View Full Version : Boat weighs too much

hercules
05-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Decided to take the haines 585 over the weigh bridge the other day only to find it was over by 100kg . That was unhooking it off of the chev.
Question is, has anyone ever been weighed by the mobile transport guys and do they unhook the trailer from the car when they weigh it ? Have also heard and read that they give 10% leeway but that depends on the officers discretion ?

any feedback appreciated Craig

Maxw
05-07-2005, 04:32 PM
10% leeway, now that is expecting a bit much! no way. anyway 100kg over what? M

hercules
05-07-2005, 04:43 PM
100kg over 2 tonne
Craig

melbdan
05-07-2005, 05:51 PM
U need sensa brakes.

Maxw
05-07-2005, 05:55 PM
and your plate says 1990kg! now that is a problem especially being dudded by 1990kg plated trailers! so who should be held responsible for being over weight or should someone be held responsible for being under trailered? M

Black_Jack
05-07-2005, 06:03 PM
be carefull
your trailer will need dual axle braking (brakes on 4 wheels) to be legal

melbdan
05-07-2005, 06:12 PM
In VIC and NSW anything over 2 tonne needs sensa brabe or electric brakes.

Black_Jack
05-07-2005, 06:26 PM
the insurance company i am insured with wanted a copy of the weigh bridge docket when i insured my boat, by memory they gave me a breif thumbs up (just a verbal chat over the phone) about braking requirements and how they change as they boat being towed gets heavier (ie over 2 tonnes)

Angla
05-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Was it full of fuel and did it have any extras on board that made it heavier. Could you take something off to make it lighter by 100kg.

Angla

hercules
06-07-2005, 02:40 AM
The boat wasn't full of fuel yet i could make it legal by taking some gear out. The problem is going fishing you tend to load the boat up with a fair bit of junk.
I have read that people (dealers ) when they weigh boats and trailers to get a certificate they do it without unhooking the trailer from the car . If this is illegal then the people writing the certificate should also know the laws and not issue one .
Like i first said it would be good to hear from someone who has been tested by the transport department , as there appears to be a bit of a grey area there ?

cheers Craig

whichway
06-07-2005, 02:52 AM
If a 585 is over two tonnes, then what about all the 600, 620, 625, 630s that are running around without sensa breaks.

I must take mine over the weighbridge some day, but I think I'll know what the result (and cost) will be.

Whichway

markpeta
06-07-2005, 03:50 AM
Black Jack,

I have a work trailer and it's weight is 1.5 ton fully loaded got brakes on it and once someone pulled out in front of me and I just pulled it up. You might think that you can pull up in normal situations but if something happens and you have to pull up in a hurry chances are you won't. If you weighed it empty you still have all your gear fuel etc to put and if you have an accident the insurance company will wipe it hands of you, and leave you with no boat and car and the cost of the other guys car. If there is a way for insurance companies to wiggle their way out things they will find a way.

Play it safe and bite the bullet and get the brakes.

Mark

bugman
06-07-2005, 04:14 AM
I was shocked when mine went 2.48t without fuel ice etc.

I've got 4 wheel disk brakes but under law I'm required to have breakaway brakes. Oh my God they cost so much.

They'll come one day - when I'm rich.

Bugman

NQCairns
06-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Craig your hull must be as heavy as 1400kg :o actually it's hard to add up the trailer and motor and hull at sensible weights and get 2100 ::) ::) could your hull be hiding water anywhere?? It's a fair lump of a boat but still the hull seems too heavy, not that I have any idea what it should be anyway. Could the weighbridge be out, I would do it again somewhere else just to rule it out before fitting brakes, long shots I know. nq

Edit: I just had a look at the HH site and the only hull that touch 1400 are 7m ones, something is going on with your boat (water?) or HH has serious scale calibration problems ???

Kiktz
06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I am on the south side of brisbane, can any one tell me where I can go with getting into trouble to get my trailer weighed?

VP1
06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Search yellow pages for weighbridge where you are... this is the greater Brisbane area
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/postCategorySearch.do?headingCode=19259&bookId=21&serviceArea=true&businessType=weighbridge&region=australia&pageNumber=1&rankWithTolls=true&locationClue=brisbane&stateId=4

hercules
06-07-2005, 04:31 PM
nqcairns , if you take the hull at 900kg ,
4stroke motor 220kg ?
fuel 200kg
electrics +2 batteries 100kg ?
anchors /safety gear 50kg?
rocket launcher/bimini 40kg?
other tackle etc 100kg?
______
1610kg
+ 380kg for trailer
________
= 1990kg ;D just made it

Obviously these are just estimates but when they say bare hull is 890kg it probably is just that , bare.
looking at the trailer i'm sure the spare tyre and jockey wheel went on later.
When you start to add up all the little things its no wonder my boats a blob

Craig

Black_Jack
06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Markpeta
i do have 4 wheel disk brakes and a trailer that is registered for over 2100 kilos, the trailer and my towing car are fitted with vacuum hydrolic brakes.
and i regularly check them
my boat and trailer on the weigh bridge weigh by memory about 2.2 tonnes with fuel (about 3/4 full)

kiktv
you can weigh your boat at any public weigh bridge (dumps normally got them) for about $15

geoff

Needmorerum
06-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I weighed My 575 Cruise Craft and I think it come in at around 1550kg. But I'll have to re-check that as it was a while ago when I did it. I'll throw it over the weighbridge on the weekend on the way out and let you know. Last time I did it without gear, this time I will do it loaded ready to go.
The CC website is saying 1740kg, so I could be a fair way off here.

Corry

NQCairns
07-07-2005, 03:24 AM
Craig you are good to go!! I assumed the boat was weighed near dry and not kitted and it still hit 2100, the numbers didn't add up.
You will have to do what I used to do and pack some of the boat at the ramp from the car, I really dont think the scallies (sp) will give you any leaway at all, bunch of robots at this level of inforcement.
I had not thought about it before but I assumed the manufacturers weight would be with all fittings, hatchcovers, fuel tanks, possibly basic steering but it may be with only the bare glass hull? That could amount to a near 200kg shave on a boat this size I guess.
Actually your measurement gave me a fright because I am rebuilding a 5.5m that I estimate will be around 1200kg not kitted
and near dry as the trailer is already built as a single axle. I didnt want to fall above 1500kg. cheers nq

blaze
07-07-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi Nq
my boat trailer is single axle, boat 6m, not a lot of wieght difference between that and 5.5.
It does tow well and is braked but I went down and got 4 new springs yesterday, now gotta chase
some rims and other bits.
Have towed like it is for a non stop 390km (checked tyres once) tyres did not get hot
but running at 65psi so I will rest easier when its tandem
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
07-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Yeah Blaze my position also, I will not enjoy the tow until 4 wheels are rolling under the boat 9will get there), I dont need the potential hastles of a 1.2 tonne min weight, two tyre tow. cheers nq

joeT
07-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I did a boating course a few years ago where a police officer came in to talk to us about safety, regulations etc. He said that they did not unhook the trailer from the car when weighing, mostly because the equipment they have is just a weightpad that you drive the trailer on top of, and that they let you get away with the weight on the ball.

Technically, they are supposed to weigh it as gross weight (unattached). And that is the weight used for rego purposes.

I'd always play it safe and keep it all under. Take some stuff out of the boat and put it in the car, and put it back in the boat when you get to the ramp.

jimbo59
07-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Down the manly ramp last month i got checked by water police for safty gear, rego,breathtest and checked my trailer for brake_away brakes.

JohnWF
07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Hercules,
You are right in that it is common to weight the trailer connected to the car so that the 10%, or so, weight is not included to stay under the class limits, or maybe they are just lazy. Unhooking the trailer gives the accurate weight. The RTA guys should unhook when checking if they have suspicions that you are close to the limit. The other posts are correct, you are over two tonne and really should have the 4 wheel break-away system fitted to be both legal and for insurance purposes.