PDA

View Full Version : Removing steering cable ?

markpeta
10-07-2005, 01:01 PM
About to start fixing the transom and trying to do a few things myself to keep the costs down.

First thing remove steering cable.

Just spent an hour undoing and reputting on bolts how hard can it be ?

Anyone with some help would be great.

Mark

markpeta
10-07-2005, 01:47 PM
[smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=bomb.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] ???
This says it all please HELP.

blaze
10-07-2005, 02:48 PM
what end of the cable are you undoing
transom
does the cable go through the tilt tube (where the motor pivits)
If so
on one side where the cable comes out there is an arm connected to the motor with a couple of swivel joints?
undo these so that the only thing on that side now is the rod that comes outa the tilt tube, there may even be a seal on that end of the tilt tube.
On the other side there is a nut about 1 1/8 in dia, under this nut and withdraw the cable (some times to get enough angle this needs to be done with the motor hanging from the roof to get the movement
I know, wrong end or wrong steering system
cheers
blaze

markpeta
10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
This is what I'm working with.

markpeta
10-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Other side

blaze
10-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Mark
ya nearly there, lots of penetrene/crc.
you may have to unbolt the donk and slide it to the left to enable the shaft that is coming out to completely come out of the tilt tube.
crc, sleep on it, crc, unbolt motor, crc pushing shaft back in and out, slide motor over, crc and pull out cable
only take ya another hour in the morning
poor old girl hasnt seen a lot of lube, was the steering heavy.
if putting the motor back on, you will need to clean the tilt tube.
Get a piece of 3/8 or 10mm air line tube about 300mm long, cut with an axesaw a slot in one end about 50mm long. In this slot you fit a piece of coarse emery tape 50mm by 300mm long and proceed to roll it around the airline tube, fit the airline tube in the drill and poke it up the tilt tube and pull the trigger of ya drill, if you have done the wrap the wrong way the emery tape will unwrap and not clean the tube, if you done it right just keep poking it in and out from both sides until it is clean
clear as mud
cheers
blaze

blaze
10-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Some times they get little bends in them, very hard to see, that can also make them tight, just a matter of a bit of persaverance
cheers
blaze

markpeta
10-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks heaps blaze all disconected.

One hint for anyone who might be disconecting wiring and stuff on outboards take heaps of digital camera pics when putting it back together and get stuck some type of referance.

Mark

blaze
10-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Mark
another good idea to mark wires is to wipe clean and wrap a piece of masking tape around to make a tag, then number the tags. draw a scetch/digi pic and then put corisponding numbers on sketch/pic
cheers
blaze

noluck
10-07-2005, 09:08 PM
mark
i can see whay u having problem someone had use grease to grease cable .that is way it stack, ones you putt new one use only oil .
but u are allmost finish good work
cheers no-luck

blaze
11-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi Noluck
I have always used grease on my steering cables, just a matter of doing regular maintance and using the right grease, havnt had a problem in over 20 years. But each to there own, grease/oil it needs lubricating
cheers
blaze