PDA

View Full Version : Deadrise

QldKev
13-07-2005, 02:42 PM
What is a decend amount of deadrise for a standard hull for light offshore use? I have just measure mine at 14.25 degrees. Is this good or too small ?

Cyclone
14-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Kev sounds like you measured the deadrise at the transom, sound about normal for an alloy boat around 5mtr maybe a tad shallow. There is a lot more to a good offshore hull than deadrise at the transom you probably need to look further foward at forefoot of the hull that does most of the work while moving here you should have a fine entry point planing strakes to provide some lift and well designed chines to deflect any spray. 14.5 dgr will provide good stability at rest but if it's a bumpy day and you get some air under the hull you will feel it this is where a steeper deadrise carried further back comes into it's own. hull design is moving in leaps and bounds at the moment and there is a lot of good ideas surfacing deadrise is only a small part of the equation these days.
A view from the un-educated. Andrew.

NQCairns
14-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Ditto to what Cyclone says it will be fine, just a bit bumpy so pick your days and account for a slow trip back if you want to stay comfortable, really no less safer than if it were 18deg with common sense on the water.
Lots and lots of US 14 footers (epoxy over ply skiff type boats)with that deadrise over there for close inshore and estuary play. cheers nq

finding_time
14-07-2005, 05:55 AM
I agree with cyclone dead rise is only a very small part of the equation. My boat has bugger all dead rise ( south wind ub520) but due to lack of beam , weight distribution and hull shape it runs very well offshore even in poor contitions. Dead rise is good but it ain't everything. ;D