PDA

View Full Version : belco trailer fault

warrior
12-07-2005, 03:17 PM
hi everyone new to this, just a short note had a belco trailer under my 4.5 bluefin warrior with parabolic springs(single leaf) .they decided to split in half on the passengers side while driving. luckily only doing 40klm an hour at time,if doing the normal 90 to 100ks i dont think i would be here .the result totalled trailer, twisted tow bar and luckily boat ok. so anybody with one of these trailers do your checking all over and hope for the best. cheers.

phewy
12-07-2005, 03:35 PM
WOW, thats messy. #:o Sooooo close to the boat too. Close call warrior. How old and approx how many k's has it done?

Make that had done. :(

Spaniard_King
12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
warrior,

What was the outcome did the insurance company come to the party ???

at least ya boat is ok

Are you saying the parabolic springs were the problem ???

cheers

Garry

warrior
12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
the trailer was two years old and no idea with the ks five thousand tops

warrior
12-07-2005, 03:44 PM
insurance payed market value so i was quite a few bucks out of pocket.it pays to check your policy to see how it all covers your investment,i lost out unfortunatly.

phewy
12-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Not sure on those single spring set ups on boats that size. Don't mind them on our jetski trailers or small 3 - 3.5m tinnies, but anything larger...? How much load are they rated to or expected to carry, does anyone know? ???

NQCairns
12-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Wow! All trailer springs effectivly have only one leaf near and where they mount, Older nissan patrols use parabolic springs and they never break like that, at least that I have heard of ???
Were they galvanised? May have been one of those unlucky manufacturing situations where one in a ? will be faulty. Everything is a crap shoot I guess. Glad no one was hurt. nq

blaze
12-07-2005, 07:08 PM
I looked at them the other day, galv 300kg, non galv 300kg for me x 4 was only 1200kg not nearly enough
cheers
blaze
multi leaf are still only anchor by the main leaf and if that lets go the efect will be the same. Also wonder what efect hot galving a spring will have

Pwoida
13-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Belcos are made locally up Strathpine way. The owners are my wifes God Parents. From what I know they are top quality trailers. Have you contacted Belco about it yet? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about it.

rajawolf
13-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Bit worried now.. :-/ I fitted a galv set to my boat trailer, rated at 1000Kg not sure if that is per leaf or for the both.

With insurance I know I was made to list the value of each main item, as in trailer, hull, and motor. So I guess if I need to make a claim they will only pay for the item damaged, in which case if that happened to me I would lose out also.

warrior
13-07-2005, 12:54 PM
the leaf was rated to 1000kg my boat weighed 850kg full belco were god about it i didnt replace it with another belco as i coulnt get one built for a while and i needed it asap for my fishing trip. got a redco as i had one in the territory for three years, towed it every where and it was faultless

beatle
13-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Warrior, You have got me really worried now as I have the exact same set-up as you. My boat is the side console Blue Fin 4.5. same hull, same trailer, same springs. I have not towed it any great distance as yet but now I'm sh#t scared to take it down the driveway. Where do I go from here? [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=end.gif] [smiley=help.gif]

Big_Kev
13-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Do you have any pics of the broken spring or the break in the spring?
Not a good thing to have happen, I guess you were very lucky it didn't do more damage. And very unlucky for this to happen to you.
Belco would not manufacturer the springs themselves, only buy them in the same as other trailer manufacturers do.
I check my trailer over every now and then and I check the springs for cracks.
Cheers Kev.

boatboy50
13-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey Guys,

Not Good news.

In Belco's defence, i've owned many trailers, and have to say the late model tandem 20' M/R I owned was probably the best out of a good lot, including Redco, Tinka, Special and Mackay.

Sounds like poor luck, but im sure they will get on top of it.

Regards

Darren

Foxie
13-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the bad news Warrior I have a 4.5 blue fin on a belco trailer will have to check my springs in the morning but you have me worried now. I also have a problem with the submerseable indicator lights not sealing and filling with water since new.

Cheers Foxie

warrior
14-07-2005, 02:27 PM
beatle and foxie, it might pay you to get the springs checked by belco and sress tested. my spring might have been a one in a million but to have it happen on the highway under speed put the sh**s up me.having a couple of extra spring leafs gives me a bit more confidence with it. cheers

nisrol
16-07-2005, 09:49 PM
WARRIOR
sorry to hear about your prob, but like most other manufacturers BELCO do buy there springs in allready galvinized along with there axles as i have just recieved my new one which i will post a pic of during the day when i can get a pic of it .
I must say though BELCO are one of only heavy dutie trailer builders that i know of in QLD and i am also aware that the trailer i have is "all" made out of 3mm material as i was the one who cut the parts for it to be welded together .
But when you see the pic trailer has not been set up as yet i will be doing that when and if loozitt wants to see how it is done and done properly but still doing the fit out so could take some time .

cheers andy

warrior
17-07-2005, 07:14 PM
thanks bayrage,for the reply ,i only hope that you get the right parts for your trailer ,when you receive a part or item please make sure you you get a replacement guarantee for the part in case of malfulction or breakdown of the part.its the only way i can think of that you can be covered in case faults to that part or product.if any can help it would be greatly appreciated