PDA

View Full Version : Can my tinnie go offshore ?

gogecko
14-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Saw a photo of someone fishin the 24s off Gold Coast with the GC highrises in the background. Didnt look too far out to me, so I think I can make it out and back on a calm day.Id like a go at some decent sized fish.

What do I need to know? Is it safe enough in my boat, or am I dreaming? Ive got an old Clarke Abalone 14ft tinnie with forward controls and a 40hp Tohatsu. Been outside the Southport bar often enough, but never more than 500-750m away.

What safety gear do I need? So far, Ive got lifevests, VMR membership and a cellphone. No epirb, radio or sounder, yet.How long should my anchor rope be?

Any other options, should I try Palm Beach reef first?

2iar
14-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi,

The first place you need to look is the Maritime Safety website that lists what safety equipment is mandatory and what is recommended.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/gen_safety_ob

It will also provide some other pointers. However, only you will be able to decide whether your vessel and experience are adequate.

The best way I ever heard this put (on Ausfish, and I'm paraphrasing) is "your boat's always big enough to get you into trouble, but not always big enough to get you out of it".

Good luck,
Mike

agnes_jack
14-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Gogeko
Before even thinking about taking your boat offshore, you should really do a "bar crossing course"
Your boat can handle it in certain conditions, but you Must have knowledge on safety factors, know local conditions and how quick they can change, and be proficient on bar crossings FIRST.
It's amazing how a quickly a good day out can turn to shit.

Regards,Tony ;)

gogecko
14-07-2005, 08:52 AM
I am somewhat experienced in bar crossings. Having been a surfer all my life, I am ok at reading wave sets and finding deep gutters. I first crossed Jumpinpin bar 20 years ago. Southport bar is now dredged, but I remember how many experienced skippers lost boats on it before. I have an enourmous amount of respect for bars. Ive also been out in calm, and returned in enough lump to know I was right on the edge of what I could handle. Lucky I had a VMR member with me to show me the art of riding the wave crest at wave speed, and local knowledge that the South side of the channel is easier. I no onger have any friends who are experienced in offshore. Maybe I should join a club and meet some guys.

Its just that Ive never ventured farther than Tailor fishing around the outside of the seaway, and I probably WONT go further in this tinnie. I just keep seeing photos of members boats (who go outside), and keep thinking 'theres is only a metre longer than mine?'

agnes_jack
14-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Gogecko
As a surfer you will have a lot of usefull skills, and as you say wave reading ability. Thats half the battle covered. I have a 14ft tinnie that I use offshore in the right weather, but i need to be on the ball and alert to possible weather changes etc.
If you use caution and local knowledge, and know your limitations, there are a lot worse boats than the Abalone to get out there in ;)

Regards, Tony

Burley_Boy
14-07-2005, 04:06 PM
The GC Seaway is about the kindest crossing to the sea you'll find and the worst part is the 700M or so you've already fished so I expect you have experience with this area. Stay clear of the banks to the ENE for a while as they may break.
You have a boat that will probably hit the 20knot mark so you should be able to react to conditions IMO. If you can handle your boat with confidence in a bit of a sea there is no real reason why you cant head out on a good day, there are plenty of tinnies out there.
People who get into strife often do it in the bar (Currumbin or Tweed or they allow the Seaway to get pretty hairy before heading in) Play it safe and have your safety gear with you, I'd rather roll a tinny than a blackwatch anyday but stay well within your margin and you should be fine.
Ideal gear would be a fishing buddy, inflatable vest (worn at all times) personal epirb, gps, radio & mobile phone (I have one in a waterproof pocket) plus the compulsory gear.
I'd initially stay off Palm Beach if you head out the seaway as the conditions on Palm are different than further north so you won't realise its getting rough for the trip back. Start with the 12's and 16's, 18's then maybe mermaid. All are within 5-15mins of the seaway so you should be able to see the conditions pretty well. Avoid the 4th and 5th hour of the outgoing tide if you can.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
14-07-2005, 06:05 PM
If you feel any doubt as to your ability or the boats ability then quite simply don't go! Everyone can go to other side of the world on a good day, but as has been said, good days can turn sour very quickly at times. ;) I'm not trying to spook you, the Abalone is a good strong seaworthy boat. The pro's have used them for years. Seamanship comes with experience, and experience comes with practice and coaching. Take someone with you a couple of times until you feel confident and solid. Flying by the seat of your pants may be all well and good in a racing car, but it's no fun off shore in a boat. :( Do what you know you can do and handle until you have some more experience with someone able to provide it. I read this site regularly, and I have had a couple of big boats over the years, but always there is something to attract us, to make us want to go even bigger. Don't try to do what bigger boats and more experienced skippers do. The photos of the boats that aren't much bigger than yours are bigger for a reason. Take it easy mate.
I look forward to hearing how you go. And I hope you get the confidence and experience you need.

Cheers gogecko

Dave

gogecko
15-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

I should also add that Ive crewed plenty of sailing boats offshore and the odd game boat, so I do know what calm is, and how quickly things can change.

I glad to hear there are boats like mine out there, and the real issue is seamanship and the ability to read conditions. I didnt realise there were 12s and 18s within 5-15 mins that were good fishing grounds. I dont plan on being more than 15 mins from the bar.

Sounds like I should invest in GPS to find them, as I assume a sounder may not be enough? Its a lot of money for a tinnie tho. I'll probably do just what youve suggested, and venture a littlle further out each time, when conditions look good. I may take months before I get out to these reefs yet.

Billo
15-07-2005, 10:40 AM
surfing knowldge does give you an upper hand on a lot of boaties !!!

i have a 14' tinny ( Seajay SP - 40 yammy stern driven ) ..not much , but does the rounds .
I have fished up to 30km offshore mooloolaba, 20km off goldy, with round trips up to 200kms from Bribie to Cape moreton and up to caloundra and back ( with 4 damn jerry cans aboard ) .

EVERY boat will have a limit to what is deemed acceptable and safe ,....and add to the that , every driver has a different level of knowledge .
Use you surf knowledge ...USE THE FORCE ;D ..sorry , couldn't help it ;D

i carefully read weather .....i don't care if it says from 8 am to 8pm it is gonna be 10 knotts ...if there is an expected 20 knott shift later that night...it too comes into the equation and i am likely not to cross a bar for that day or venture too far out .

Offshore is normally a bit calmer then in closer to the beaches .( during good weather ) ...once you get out passed the 24's , it calms down a bit

The boys have loaded you up with advice on all the carefull factors listen to it...as long as YOU KNOW what is going on with the weather and swell and bars ....not just THINK you know ....you should be able to come up with the right decision .

and as for southport .....you got it easy .... i gotta contend with south passage ...soon to be changed , bring on Bribie !!!!

gogecko
15-07-2005, 11:13 AM
I just had a chat to the Seaway Tower, and they dont see any problems with me going out on a calm day, as long as I stay within visual range of the tower.

Now how do I find the good fishing spots without a sounder? Is that possible, or is it a must to buy one?

Billo
15-07-2005, 12:12 PM
can prove difficult for bottom fishing !
A gps and a sounder will increase your catch 10 fold and some once you know how to use them and have a few marks .
can't give you any marks out there i'm afraid ...got none out infront of the seaway myself

peterbo3
15-07-2005, 01:32 PM
GO-gecko,
On the good weather days you will be going out finding a bit of reef is no problem. Head towards a group of boats on the pick with people fishing. There will be structure below.

Burley_Boy
15-07-2005, 09:06 PM
There is a lot of reef & pinacles out there. Get someone to show you the baitgrounds and the 12fathom and you should be able to get visual guides to get back there. You certainly need your sounder though. IMO.
General GPS marks are available on a range of websites as well.
Good luck and we'll see you out there. :)

jimbo59
16-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi gogecko,you won't have any problems, you've been around, go and enjoy a good fish out there,get some live bait from the wreck and go out and have fun.
good luck.. jimbo.

Burley_Boy
17-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Get a compass and a map and start plotting. You can go a long way out and still see plenty of landmarks. Q1 is probably visible to NZ. :)

Steven78
17-07-2005, 04:45 PM
A good Radio is a must as well.
I would also be thinking about getting a GPS as well to mark those Spots X's ;D

gawby
17-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey there you old salt, Palm beach acessed via currumbin is only for those who know the bar well. I have been out through there for years with my brother in law in his boat no problems. I have only had my own boats for the last 2 years and it is a different kettle of fish when doing the bar under instructions yourself. I have crossed quite a few times now but not without a few scares. Dont even go near tweed heads bar. It again is a must for knowledge, i watch a boat sink infront of me there 3 weeks ago. It was something to watch. Do yourself a favor, safety first before going to far, you carnt have enough safty gear. You normally only get one go at life and that sometimes can be to short.
Graeme. [smiley=angel.gif]

bazzaman
18-07-2005, 08:57 AM
sounder is a must! You wont regret the purchase! ;D

gogecko
18-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks all. I was in and out of Southort Seaway a few times on Fri, with no problems. Didnt go more than 1000m offshore. No fish outside either, unfortunately, but some big bream inside the seaway.

A basic sounder is $200, and a gps one starts at $1200? Does that sound right? Thats what the local fisho shop told me.Hmm, dont mind $2-300, but any more and Id think about upgrading the boat first.

I also spoke to a friend in Coast Guard, and they are going to give me the visual marks for a few reefs. They line up highrises and mountains to locate reefs as a backup, just in case gps goes down. With visuals and a cheap sounder, we should be right.