PDA

View Full Version : Boat Rewire prob???

webby
15-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi I have just put a new switch panel in my old tub, and a problems has arose.
i had to rewire some of my existing wiring to accommodate the new panel which had more switches.
Now i get interferance through both my vhf and 27meg from my sounder.
1. do i need a resister ? to the radios
2. or one to my sounder.
regards

Hagar
15-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Geez Webby
Gonna be tough to sort . Couple of suggestions though .

Look closely at the stuff you changed . Are the aerial cables too close to main wiring now or near the sounder .

Any loose terminals on switches or bus - bar if there is one .

Disconnect new bits one by one and check for any change .

Good luck .

Chris

finga64
16-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Gidday Webby,
Make particular note of where all the negative wires join together and check for good connections as well, whether it be a negative busbar (best) or soldered all together in a big ball. One could have been bumped in the work.
Where are you??

NQCairns
16-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Apart from the good ideas above you could also try a suppressor in line with the power to the radio, I put one in as a matter of course now. It has decreased overall noise levels for me even the sqush sqush sound from the sounder although advice I recieved said it shouldn't, anyway worth it for the price. cheers nq

gavsgonefishing
16-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Nothing worse than crook wiring in the boat. Either corroded or a bad joint somewhere in that wiring. It may not be the wires ( or probably could be ) that you played with. You may have disturbed the crook one while installing the panel.

My suggestion is to go back and have a good look at the wiring, if the original wires have any joins etc in them, than its probably time to replace them. Look at all the joints, again it may be time to replace.

The other thing may be the connector on the radio for the aerial, it may be time to rejoin

Buzz bars are a great idea. One feed from the battery to the buzz bar ( near the electronics) then the rest hangs off that. Saves the dramas with a heap of wires coming from the battery.

Hope this helps

propdinger
16-07-2005, 02:46 PM
throw your sounder away im sure you dont need it ;D ;D

webby
17-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi Thanks for the feedback fellas, but found the problem i think, today preparing for tonites trip.
In my endeavour to cut back on wiring, i connected the power to the sounder off the power line running to my radios, and i would say i was getting feed back or something on those line back through the radios from the sounder.
Will soon find out tonite
Thanks again
regards

Fishin_Dan
19-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Webby - That sounds like it could be the issue. Radios and sounders should all have isolated power. You could also put in the resister to the radios as well. This will help reduce any interferance caused by other things. Wiring is one, but you can also get noise from Flouro lighting, radio (Normal radio) antennas, etc. I'm happy to give you a hand with anything needed. Just give us a hoy if you need.