PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Sportsfishing Boat

TonyM
17-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi all,

I've decided it's time to get a new boat and have decided on the new Polycraft 5.30 Warrior (The Barra/Bass) version which is being launched in Sept. :-*

As I've never set up a boat for sportsfishing before I'd love to hear any feedback/suggestions from those of you having more experience with this style of boat.

I'll be putting either a 70 or 90hp 4 stroke on the back and a Minkota up front, I definately want decent rod lockers and a live tank. The model I'm going for is a centre console.

Any suggestions are very welcome as I want to ensure any structural stuff is thought out up front so I don't have to mess with it down the track ???

I can see me hanging on to this boat for a long time (unlike my past history of a new boat every 18 mths or so) ;D so I want to make sure I get it right :-/

boatboy50
17-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey,

Have you got any photos or brochures of this boat or the standard one that you may be able to post here?

Would love to see it. Havn't seen anything around yet.

Regards

Darren

TonyM
17-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi Darren,

No photos yet I'm afraid, the only info I can point to at the moment is what's on http://www.polycraft.com.au - I've decided to buy the thing on spec (something I wouldn't normally do but for this I feel safe in my decision)

Apparently they're waiting until the total package (boat, motor, trailer) is ready before they releases any pics, from a marketing point of view I can understand it, however the little kid part of me (big part hehe) can't wait ;D

I imagine it's possible they might wait until the boat show in september before they show it however I hope they're not that cruel :'(

basserman
18-07-2005, 02:42 PM
almost all the polycrafts come with hatches that are easy to turn into livewells so i wouldn't think that would be a huge problem all that you need to add to it is the plumbing eg; hoses, pump, pickup, and wireing
rod lockers will be the harder part as you will need to see the boat to be able to work out where it would be best to be made but one good thing with the poly is that they are very good against rods ;)
apart from that you will need to think about intrnal bilge and sounder/gps and lights are always good things to have for those early morning and eveing sessions another thing to have a good look at is at diffrent seating postions and maybe a leanseat for the frount near the leccy
it is really hard to say how to set a boat up but as soo much personalty goes into setting a boat up ;D
sure a fun way to spend a few weeks and a few thousand of dollars ;D

TonyM
18-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi Basserman,

Re the rod lockers I believe they might be coming as part of the standard fitout, I'm hoping to get some more details about the boat tommorow.

The seating positions is a good idea, I've fished on mates Bass boats and agree that it's great to be able to move them (or remove them) as required.

I've had around 15 boats to date and have customised almost all of them to at least some degree, although this time I'm planning the project up-front as much as possible to save re-doing it properly later ;D

I reckon I'll probably have to sell one of the kids into slavery :-/ to kit this one out properly, however you gotta do what you gotta do :D

basserman
18-07-2005, 03:28 PM
just keep telling the misses that it could be worst you could be one of them blokes that spends the weekends in the pub with mates blowing all the money in the pokies and beer ;D
and that atleast with you spending all the time on the boat and putting all the money into atleast she knows where you are ;D

TonyM
18-07-2005, 03:41 PM
hmmm fantastic plan!

Another benefit is obviously that with all available cash being sunk immediately into the boat less is available for renovations on the houses - unfortunately I'd have more time for fishing (and maybe even finishing off the next version of my fishing software) [smiley=bulb2.gif] and now I've thought of another mod - better make a keyboard shelf in the centre console so I can get some work done on the way to spot x ;D

pegasus
19-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi Tony, recently got a 4.55 poly frm up your way- Martin Marine- very happy but hmmmmm wishing I had a waited awhile longer to see these rigs- can you give us any idea on price paddock? Anyway - guess you have already checked out the poly owner site- some good ideas there- I have a external live bait tank plumbed- very good- can slip on and off no problems- some dealers cut into the internal shell- I am told by the factory this voids hull warranty- I have also put a light duty rocket launcher(southern oceans) trimmed a bit here and there to adjust angles- pretty good for rod storage and can fold down but maybe a bit of a hassle if its mainly a lure tossing style boat.The bimini incorporates the r/launcher as the rear bow.Also you may wish to consider the some internal tackle storeage ideas- have one fitted to the skips seat- take 3 planos -very handy
good luck
best regards,
lew

TonyM
19-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi Lew,

Sounds like you have yours set up nicely mate! And no, believe it or not I haven't checked out the Poly owners site - Duh! I'm off to do that now ::)

Re the price, no official price yet. I have a figure in my head (I'll pm you) however won't write it here as I'm probably way off (hopefully thinking too much) ;D

The tackle storage is a great idea, I've been thinking about it although I guess I just have to be patient and wait to see what the final release looks like (it's still in testing/feedback with Poly's sponsored pros) :'(

One thing I did confirm today is that the beam will be approx 2.4 metres.

pegasus
20-07-2005, 02:35 AM
HI Tony, thankyou- Probably not a bad idea regarding waiting to see her in the flesh so to speak :P-
now the wait :)
best regards
lew