PDA

View Full Version : "what was that noise" ?

bungie
19-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Spent yesterday at Caloundra with my Dad fishing the passage and just outside the bar. Lovely day, sodd all fish but a nice day with the old man.
Come the end of the day, I loaded up the boat and left for Brisbane. Not more than a k'm down the road I just taped the brakes and heard a loudish "bang" hmmmmmmmmmmmm so I got out of the Jackaroo and had a look around, but saw nothing out of place. "Ohh well" and drove home, via a couple of places I needed to pick some things up from.
This afternoon I come home from work and as I drive up the street I see this.
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/bungie/images/100_2176sm.jpg
Don't remember my retrieve-mates sitting like that before, so I go to the bow and see this.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/bungie/images/100_2178sm.jpg

Looking down the winch post I notice the rear "U" bolt had snapped, letting the post wiggle forward during my drive home via Albany Creek and the back blocks of Paddington to the western freeway. Jubilee Tce and Fredrick St to name a few nice hills and curvy roads.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/bungie/images/100_2177sm.jpg

So I'm going to get the winch post welded to the main frame, and a second chain joining the first at the eyelet on the bow of the boat, and run it back under the hull so if this happens again it will pull against the new chain.

If you look at the third photo, on the right hand side you can make out where it looks like the post has moved forward about 4"

Any other suggestions ??

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-07-2005, 02:57 PM
would have been fun to watch ya next launch.

your boat's not secured properly at the front even though that's the way it was sold to you - its all the law requires but is inadequate as you found out

the security chain will only stop it rolling off backward

a triangular setup under tension will hold the nose tight then all the ratchet at the back does is stop the bum bouncing

peterbo3
19-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Bungie,
Luck was with you. But looking at the last pic it appears that there is a lot of clearance between the U-bolt shaft & the holes in the mounting plate. You could probably go up in U-bolt diameter & increase strength that way.

finga64
20-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Bungie, Don't weld it!!! unless you have a galvanising works.
Good place for rust to start after welding and then will always be problems. Do the two chain thingo and get bigger/longer U-bolts and put stainless washers under the nuts.

Jeremy
20-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Bought you lotto ticket yet Bungie?

You must be feeling pretty relieved and lucky!

How was Caloundra bar? I hear that it has become very shallow recently following all the rain and big seas we had about a month ago.

Bit surprised there weren't any school mackerel on the close reefs. Do you have marks for the 5 mile? About 6-8 km from the bar. PM me if not.

Jeremy

MAD-MIC
20-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Ouch [smiley=stunned.gif]

I am about to adjust my winch-mast soon and this has reminded me to be that little more careful when doing so.... :o

I can picture the way you went home through Paddington with all the hills & stop/starts etc. I'll bet she had a great old time rockin' around back there whilst you were driving home... did it damage the hull or anything?

Lundy
20-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Lucky you didn't have your boat sitting in the back seat of the car :o

Oldyella
20-07-2005, 11:10 AM
You need to have 2 good hold-down straps on the transom, as this prevents forward movement under brakes. Looks like you have nothing there at present.

bungie
20-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I do have a rachet webbed strap over the stern, about two foot back from the transom. I think this was the only reason I didn't wear the boat in the car. :-/

jimbo59
20-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Bungie u need to weld a brace from just under your winch to where the jockey wheel sits then a flat plate and some more u bolts to the main frame.spray cold gal after welding.

familyman
20-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Bungie the 2 chain setup is the go ,stops forward and rear movement and only transfers compression force to the mast not shearing force as on standard set ups.Take a look at a big multi roller setup for ideas.You're lucky the boat didn't become a boot ornament :o
cheers jon