PDA

View Full Version : Deckie Etiquette

simonm
13-07-2005, 06:28 AM
3 out of the last 5 trips out on my boat have seen three different deckies break something on the boat. The first was reefing out the trailer light plug without lifting the plastic clip. The second was not closing the latch on fish locker then stepping on it and breaking it off. The third was not securing a cushion after retrieving something out of a locker and having it blow off whilst driving home.

Obviously recent outings are beginning to really mount up in cost which is starting to give me the sheets. Up till now I have always had a policy of going halves in fuel and ice and have usually ended up footing repair bills on the boat. I think it is time for a policy review and was interested in what other Ausfish skippers do when divying up costs. Do people get deckies to fully pay for fuel and ice, or pay for repairs or what?

Thanks in advance for all those who answer. I am getting sick of the wallet bleed, but want to keep fair with those who join me for a days fishing.

Cheers,
Simon.

ON-THE-CHEW
13-07-2005, 06:35 AM
I know when ever I go out in mates boats I never have a problem paying for bait and fuel. In the case of breaking something it shouldn't be an issue the decky should offer to pay for the damages as they are getting a trip on your boat rather than sitting at home thinking about fishing. I think your deckies need to remember its not their boat and it is someone elses pride and joy.
<>< <>< <><

mackmauler
13-07-2005, 07:24 AM
If it came to expecting breakages all the time then imo your boat is setup badly or you just dont talk to your crew and let em know whats what and how things work.

the crew havnt broken anything on my boat in yrs, we dont leave much to chance.

simonm
13-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Thanks ON-THE-CHEW.

Rob,

What can you do when you get the boat back to your house, go to open the garage and turn around to find your deckie yanking the trailer light lead out of the connector because they haven't lifted the plastic clip. There is not much I can do to set up the boat better to prevent this kind of accident. If it came down to better informing deckies, then should I have to go into such detail as "Dear deckie, 1. if you choose to remove the trailer lead from the vehicle please lift the latch first. 2. If you wish to remove something from under the seat, please secure the cushion to the seat after removing your sandwich. 3. If you open the kill well, please don't leave the latch open then step on it two minutes later". If I went into ever contingency like that then the pre trip lecture would last for hours.

Anyhow, what arrangement do you have with deckies on your boat?

Cheers,
Simon.

Heath
13-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I charge only for fuel. usually catch my bait anyhow.
Got to remember that unless your deckies are regulars on boats, they don't generally have the forthought of their actions. But again, If I bust something on someones boat, I would certainly offer to pay for it.

2iar
13-07-2005, 07:58 AM
On-the-Chew,

Sounds awkward. Personally, if I was the deckie, I'd be offering to pay at least half of the costs of fuel/bait/ice/food etc but I'd absolutely *insist* on paying for any damage I caused whether I'd been properly briefed or not.

If it's been caused by inexperience (as the trailer plug incident sounds), then paying for repairs is the best reinforcement to not do it again. This probably only cost $10 to fix, but if you're being good enough to share your trip, it's only right that you're not having to shell out for someone else's mistakes.

The key word is "etiquette", and i don't think it's unreasonable. All just my opinion of course.

I, on the other hand, have the wife and 6yo boy as deckies. Naturally enough, I foot the bill for mishaps, or I don't get out to play ;D

Good luck,
Mike

mackmauler
13-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey Simon, I must admit that I had a chuckle at the light plug one, what came to mind with such simple things causing problems is that it may be just the tip of the iceberg, do they leave trace and hooks on the deck as well? at least noones been injured yet, as painful as it may seem going through the basics at a grade 1 level doesnt do any harm and is better than the alternative isnt it?

the norm arrangement is if we get no fish the crew will get a free carton from me, they pay a share of the fuel sometimes more sometimes less, nothin worse than a fishless day been a decky as I know the feelin so the crew get a good deal from me.

rajawolf
13-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Maybe the guys/gals are just eager to help, I am sure they did not break the bits on purpose. ::)

I would like to comment more, but I wont :-X ::)

DR
13-07-2005, 08:42 AM
a lot of Deckies don't have their own boats & are unaware of what goes on. in there keeness to help they don't think clearly & rush in like a bull at a gate. just point out that you have had a few probs in the past & you would like them to look before being helpful.
i rarely ask for money for fuel or bait, most bring their own gear, food & bait anyway. i figure i am going anyway & if i can't afford to run my boat i should get a smaller more affordable one.if deckie insists i will oblige & relieve them of their cash burden.

peterreb
13-07-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't have to worry about deckies,can't get anyone to come out.If by chance someone did go on a trip with me an arrangement of some sorts would be made,I supply fuel,they supply bait.Experience has a lot to do with this topic.F,,,k up once,your not going to do it again,I know from experience a $160.00 sea anchor is at the bottom of scarborough reef, knot came undone,can't blame anyone but myself.If a deckie had retreaved anchor,do I blame them???
Regards Peter

finga64
13-07-2005, 09:55 AM
It's common courtesy to either replace/repair or pay for something that was broken by lack of foresight or not thinking.
But on the other hand accidents/mishaps will happen. That's part of boating.
As mentioned before, you learn quicker when you pay through the pocket for mistakes.
Luckily, nothing has been broken in my boats by other people. Worst that's happened is my brother cutting his leg open ;Dgetting all the gear out before a tubbing. But he's an accident proned shiney bum[smiley=oops.gif]

Rusty_Hook
13-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Maybe you should pick smarter deckies ;)

simonm
13-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Maybe you should pick smarter deckies #;)

Amen to that. :P

I have had very few problems over the years, apart from a shocking run recently.

stunnedmullet
13-07-2005, 10:25 AM
mmmmm....not sure what to make of this topic.
Personally I have been a deckie heaps and if anything went wrong that I felt was my responsibility then I would compensate the owner for his troubles. I have my own boat and any deckie I take is a mate and has the same philosophy as me when it comes to sharing expenses.
I aim to enjoy my fishing trips and if something happens and the whole experience gets you that P*&%%ed maybe you should either rethink why you go fishing and with who or take up another pastime.
The mullet

simonm
13-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Gotta say that I am quite happy about my fishing and enjoy it heaps. With the regular blokes I fish with I have no problems whatsoever. It is simply that I have fished with a few other mates recently who are not experienced boaters. I have to say that I am a bit surprised and disappointed that none have offered to fix the breakages, but it is nothing that is going to drive me to becoming a land lubber.

It is just that I am interested to hear what other skippers do for sharing the bills to help guage what is fair and reasonable.

Cheers,
Simon.

Mr_Bean
13-07-2005, 10:59 AM
G'Day Simon,

I have exact same issue, but with a very close family friend.

My problem is not directly related to damage, just that they fish like pigs.

Whilst my boat is a fishing boat, not a cruiser, I still like to keep it hygenic.

We have a deckwash and we pick up anything we drop. Not this guy (and his son) they drop pilly halves on the carpet floor then step on them, spill blood and guts without rinsing. Bits of sandwich in the corners, slimy muck all over the knives and pliers etc, yuck.

Very nice people, but they fish like pigs.

So, unfortunately, they no longer come out.

Harsh but affective.

- Darren

stunnedmullet
13-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Simon
I can see what you are saying and it is annoying when someone takes a friendship for granted. Perhaps that is the issue. If so it does make things pretty awkward. Treat people as you wish to be treated I reckon.
The mullet
Maybe spraying their bait with aeoroguard or taking them out in some shitty weather may encourage them to stay at home in the future.

Fisher_Boats
13-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Simon,
My deckies are usually my two lads aged 10 and 11 yrs. Most mates I take are experienced and know what happens but if they aren't experinced be the skipper and the deckie yourself that way nothing can happen. Don't have to worry about them breaking anything it's all pretty fool proof. Just have to lock everything up when we get home ie. tackle lockers,glove box and battery switch so the lads don't raid my tackle or leave things switched on. :)
Tell the guys you take what the system is. Let them know.. you #### it... you fix it.
Share the costs of bait,fuel and ice.
If they are pigs like mr bean's deckies don't take them, tune them or don't bring them home ;)

Cheers Col

jeffo
13-07-2005, 12:26 PM
simon- i know where you are comming from, BUT with out deckies fishing would cost you a lot more.. in some ways you need them as much as they need you. it works both ways. i have had a few boats and sold them all because over all it works out about the same to go with others and split costs with fuel and bait. by breaking the trailer plug all the fella was trying to do was help out. the others yes, were silly, but accidents all the same.

Sportfish_5
13-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Simon - some people just dont get it and have no idea about what it costs to own and run a boat or the pride you take in its appearance. Plenty of good deckies here if you can't get your point across to your current ones.

Jeff - works out the same ? I wish it did but I cant see that somehow unless you are talking about owning a small tinnie Vs being a deckie on a sportscruiser ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

markpeta
13-07-2005, 01:16 PM
I've deckied a few times for spiro and I dont touch anything I dont think I can Handle each boat is different and things work differentley but if they break it and dont offer to pay dont take them out again . Personally I would offer to pay if I broke something.

Mark

peterbo3
13-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Rob,
Be a long time since you would have had to shell out for a carton. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

jeffo
13-07-2005, 01:51 PM
greg- fishing by myself out of my old tinney used to cost me close to 50 bucks a trip by the time i bought ice,fuel and bait.... costs my about that every trip for my share of the stuff on a 36 foot game boat ;)

Wild_Side
13-07-2005, 02:02 PM
The last "freebie deckie" that I took out, thought it would be a great idea to drink 3/4 of a carton of beer and then go for a swim just after we had seen a 14ft croc. After I yelled at him to get back in the boat, he swum around the back of the boat and proceded to break the transducer off with his foot and then rip the ancher light off the side. ???
Man, I hit the roof... >:(
Then on the way home, this block head was acting the goat on the polling deck on the back of my boat. Well good things happen to D!^KH%$DS. We hit a rather large swell at top speed ::) and he ended up swimming. I didn't even notice that he had fallen out for a good 2 min's and just keep driving. It gave he a little time to chill and think about what he was doing.
When I went back and picked him up he didn't say anything and keep quite all the way home. I thought he had woken up to himself, but no. When we go to the ramp he jump over the side again and swum over two the other side of the river we were in.
Unfortunetly for him, I had enough time to load the boat and leave before he could swim back. And I haven't spoken to him since!

Heath
13-07-2005, 02:06 PM
they drop pilly halves on the carpet floor then step on them, spill blood and guts without rinsing. Bits of sandwich in the corners, slimy muck all over the knives and pliers etc, yuck.

Shiiiit, sounds like us on my boat :o

After a mackerel session my boat looks like a mass murder has taken place. Guts n blood everywhere. In the heat of the battle things get messy. Can't help it. All comes up clean once you get home.
Mind you, I've just put a deckwash in to clean up a bit while on the water.

Sportfish_5
13-07-2005, 02:15 PM
greg- fishing by myself out of my old tinney used to cost me close to 50 bucks a trip by the time i bought ice,fuel and bait.... costs my about that every trip for my share of the stuff on a 36 foot game boat ;)

Ahh so you were talking about trip costs not ownership costs. Yep would be close then.

Cheers

Greg

jeffo
13-07-2005, 02:22 PM
hahaha yeah greg... would be nice if i could buy agame boat for the price of my tinney.... maybe some one wants to do a straight swap?? lol ;D

basserman
13-07-2005, 02:30 PM
well fo me a never expect money from a fishing buddy however if they offer it is taken
all i ask in return is some help to clean the boat and for some good compainy
i have a no drinking police on both my boats so never seem to see anyones dark sides
but for the rest well they can do what ever aslong as it doesn't get on my nerves so they are able to smoke even though i'm a non smoker and they are more than welcome to my lures and tackle too as i am to theirs
only thing but is that my fishing buddys need to put up with my temper tantrums when things don't go my way ;D

Sportfish_5
13-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Jeff - did ya see the pics on marlin nut of the black that jumped in the boat :o

http://www.marlinnut.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/2178.html

RAGINGBULL
13-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Fishing is an expensive game if you fish offshore regularly.
I at least expect deckies to pay for part of the fuel
costs and buy a slab of pillies or bag of ice.
Its not there to take advantage of, This is to try and offset the costs so i can buy the fancy gear they have..
They use your lures, drop your knives overboard lose gaffs etc and we dont complain as that is part of a good day out catching fish.
There is nothing better than having an ESKY full of fish And a few smiling faces cleaning the boat with a beer in hand.
I am fortunate that my crew do more than i expect of them as they realise this is benefitial to all of us.
Cheers MARK

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
13-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I have never referred to, or about, anyone that has come fishing with me as a 'deckie'. To me, that is a term a pro uses to describe a paid subordinate offsider or helper. The people that come with me are mates, friends that I know and trust. :) To me, going fishing with them is not much different to having them around, or going to their homes for bar-be-ques and a few beers. ;D It is nice to enjoy their company and some relaxation together. Sure, owning the boat and running it is expensive, but we all know the costs involved before we go into it. I have never bought a boat with the thought that I am doing this so that my friends will enjoy it as well. I have them along because sharing the fishing experience shares the fun and mateship. ;) If they offer to contribute, sometimes I might take it, or they might tell me not to bring any beers over at the next barby. As for breakages, most of the time they offer, but I rarely take it. If my kids break their kids toys or vice versa you might offer but seldom do friends expect to be paid for it. We play snooker etc together too but none of us expect anyone else to pay for a ball that has hit the cement or a glass or ashtray that was dropped.
I appreciate everyone elses point of view on this.
These are just my thoughts.

Cheers to you all and happy boating

Dave

jeffo
14-07-2005, 02:31 AM
i like the thread greg. i shall post it in general.

phewy
14-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Good post Dave, and my thoughts exactly.
"Deckies" ???. No deckies on my rec fishing boat, only mates. And always welcome to come along.

Cyclone
14-07-2005, 05:17 AM
I usually take 2 crew out on my boat when they step on everything is there ready to go less thier food and drink because thats the way I like it. As for cost my boat is reasonably economical to run but user pays most days $40:00 a piece for deckies a very cheap days entertainment and no complaints only gratitude. The majority of my catch goes to deckies as I get out more and don't like to hoard fish in the freezer. As for breakages loses etc. usually my cost but I don't knock it back if replacment is offered. Best loss to date TLD 20 + Backbone rod followed by an offer to replace with a Penn Squidder attached to a broomstick, offer denied.

NQCairns
14-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Good topic, The way I work it first trip with with a new deckie that I hardly or don't know the trip is usually a free-bee for him and a half day or less so that I feel not compromised by the splitting of costs, they can offer costs and get brownie points but it would get turned down, meet at the ramp at a time where hopefully the boat is launched and ready.

Then if I extend another invite and they accept it the days consumed costs (on boat only) are shared as close to down the middle as possible, I have been out as passenger with skippers I would rather not have gone with, it certainly works both ways, owning the boat doesn't change that!.

I don't force political correct rules on anyone and expect to stay within common law without the need to say no - so dont ask!! (some regulations are made to be flexable ;D) nor am I a stickler over a mess within reason, (it's a fishing trip!) but safety and common sense is mandatory as is a willingness to do something I ask, I try hard not ask also! but I usually do request a basic tidyup to happen before we reach the ramp. The aim is a fun day out regardless, anally retentive skippers can make that a hard ask on any rec boat.

Any boat/part breakage is my responsibility full stop! because if it broke then it would have anyway sooner or later and shouldn't have anyway on a fishing rig (it's not a gin palace), any loss of part of the boat is my responsibility for reasons above :).

Any tackle lost like lures etc is my responsibility because that is the nature of the beast and I could not be forced to loan them out, but it is nice if they do get replaced one day even if the offer of money for them is turned down.

A rod lost from the hands of a deckie or left and stepped on by the deckie is not my responsibility and I would want it replaced or paid for as soon as possible, there will not be another trip before then, if it was set and went over from the gunnel or the like because of a drag mistake I would hope they offered to replace but mistakes happen.

Back home I will deal with the fish and tackle and chatting etc with the deckie but will usually clean and flush the boat myself (my boat my responsibility). If a trip away then all hands on deck for the clean up usually.

The hardest part IMO is nailing the new guy before getting under way about the peculiar parts and basic safety on my boat without hurting sensitive types feelings but what can you do ::).nq

PS I have never nor would I refer to anyone on my boat as a 'deckie' I think it is a derogatory term on a recreational boat period and points toward an inexperienced skipper (owner [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]) who doesn't really understand what 'it' is all about yet, I use the word here because it is simply easier on the forum and I am not talking to any one individual.

blaze
14-07-2005, 08:54 AM
I dont have a problem with the term "deckie" as the people that fish with me know its a generalisation. when I am fishing hard it maybe that my deckie of 5 minutes ago is now my skipper and giving the direction of whats required at the time.
Share fuel cost, but quite often I say "she be right" as they may have done me a favour.
95% of the times its all my gear
terminal tackle - my worry
rods/reels- you bust you replace it
If I start barking insructions they do it straight away because I am a relaxed fisho and if I barking there is a real reason for it.
If its a new person, I explain where all safety gear is.
Nice to have a hand to clean up on return.
I have just come up with a new rule for my boat (after last deckie went for a swim in 10.3 degrres water) any gear over board it is the deckies job to get it back if the water temp is above 5 degrees
main idea is lets go and have a good time and do it often
cheers
blaze

Barrymundi
14-07-2005, 12:43 PM
My fishing mates are pretty good, we share most of the costs, but, without them I would still go fishing and still spend the money.

Occasionally I take a new mate fishing, I explain where the safety gear is, how to use the radio and ask to keep the boat clean and not to bang sinkers on my boat, never been a problem.

If my mates broke something I am sure it would accidental and I would not expect them to pay for it. If it was deliberate I would simply bang a gaff through their leg "accidentally" :)

Al

troy
14-07-2005, 01:12 PM
hi simon
what do you mean by sharing half the cost of repairs-like things they broke or if something broke down in general on your boat while out on a days fishing trip.
troy

longtail
14-07-2005, 02:29 PM
interesting subject...
i have a couple of regular deckies , but if they are not available i will take someone new #, the general rule is you f@$k it you fix it! #;D

ps if someone is too clumsey and/or won't listen , then they don't get invited again... :-X ;D

cheers
jason

Big_Kev
14-07-2005, 04:31 PM
I have never referred to, or about, anyone that has come fishing with me as a 'deckie'. To me, that is a term a pro uses to describe a paid subordinate offsider or helper. The people that come with me are mates, friends that I know and trust. #:) To me, going fishing with them is not much different to having them around, or going to their homes for bar-be-ques and a few beers. ;D #It is nice to enjoy their company and some relaxation together. Sure, owning the boat and running it is expensive, but we all know the costs involved before we go into it. I have never bought a boat with the thought that I am doing this so that my friends will enjoy it as well. I have them along because sharing the fishing experience shares the fun and mateship. ;) If they offer to contribute, sometimes I might take it, or they might tell me not to bring any beers over at the next barby. As for breakages, most of the time they offer, but I rarely take it. If my kids break their kids toys or vice versa you might offer but seldom do friends expect to be paid for it. We play snooker etc together too but none of us expect anyone else to pay for a ball that has hit the cement or a glass or ashtray that was dropped.
I appreciate everyone elses point of view on this.
These are just my thoughts.

Cheers to you all and happy boating

Dave

I back Dave to the hills.
Anyone on my boat is a guest and if they want to help out they can.

Cheech
14-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I am really surprised by the answers of some of the skippers.

Apart from a few trips that I may cover for my own various reasons, if I am going fishing with someone, then we are fishing together and share everything. I also do a lot of fishing on other peoples boats and it is always the same. Share everythng.

That means the fuel, the bait, the catch.

Is probably easier to be clear cut with off shore fishing because there is a big fuel bill, a big bait bill and a bit catch usually/hopefully. I doubt that there would be many skippers that would happily say no charge after spending $30.00 in fuel for the car, $100.00+ fuel for the boat, and another $30.00 on bait.

And would I be out there anyway,,,, no way. Not at that cost. I would fish less and closer in.

Estuary fishing though can be totally different. I have a whiting spot that is half a cup of fuel away from the boat ramp, that is also only half an hour drive from home. And then use $10.00 of bait. For these trips I still am straight up with who I fish with and share the cost. Just happens to be not much, but is good for people on your boat to realise that there is cost and commitment to be able to enjoy what lots of others do not get to enjoy.

If someone breaks something that is stupidity, then they should offer something. Debateable what. But if it is a total accident then is really a grey area. Is fishing equipment like anything else that you own and someone breaks. They should offer and replace, but will that always happen. If it was not fishing related and someone broke something of yours, would they replace it? That pool cue? oops sorry mate. You get the idea.

If I just had a crap setup, product, or procedure that would have failed no matter who was using it, that is my problem.

I just hope my deckies (read fishing mates) just don't break stuff and put me in this unavoudable uncomfortable situation. But if and when it happens, I am sure we will work it out (or not fish together again).

Cheech

Billo
15-07-2005, 12:08 PM
arrangements - normally 50/50 in fuel , i get ice / bait ...they get the piss .

I had a few shockers when i first got my launch ...but after a while , i have it sussed .

as Rob and DR stated earlier , i go back to the basics ....and each time someone comes out with me that is not experienced i give them jobs and a basic training session.

I show them the bungs , where they go , how to unhook the trailer etc and how to launch the boat ..
Also whilst on the water i let em know how it works . IE - when going trolling , i let them know that when a fish strikes , they are to sit untill i instruct them to get onto it . let them know i will accelerate to help set the hook ...also tell them HOW i am going to drive the boat when fighting a fish, and what to do in cases like the fish going under the boat .

The best way to stop someone doing something wrong , is teach them how to do it right .
If someone does something stupid that i have not adviced them about ,...well shite happens , and i can't blame them for not knowing ...but i make damn well sure they know next time ..If someone doesn't listen to what your telling them ....well thats a whole different story ...especially when safety comes into the story , not just damaged goods

gotta admit though ...every tom dick and harry should now how a trailer plug works

cooky
16-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Most of the time I pay for 100% fuel and share bait / beer costs. I just expect them to do more of the work at the ramp and anchor.
I haven't really taken anyone expect good mates yet and we never really worry about splitting costs for anything - we figure it'll work out in the end. We might go somewhere and someone will buy the carton of rumbos, next time someone else will - no rules, just sort of works.
I have had a few things broken, but not really their fault - accidential - so I pay for it.
Ends up costing me a farking fortune (respectively) sometimes, but it's my boat - and I'd prefer company than not.
I occassionally go 4x4ing too and certainly wouldn't expect a mate to pay for a broken shock absorber, but I guess if he kicked the door in >:( would he be a mate ???

dfox
16-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Over the years ive had numerous fishing buddies on board and i must admit ive never had a problem.Most blokes have there own tackle and gear, but if they dont im only to happy to bring along a setup, and i find that most are only to willing to share tackle if need be. If not theres always ample on board of my own to share. Without having to ask everyone brings along a bit of bait to complement what i supply. Fuel is devided into either $30-$50 each depending on the distance and rough fuel burn for a trip, i dont sit down and calculate what ive used and most times i draw the short straw on costs, but thats how im happy to operate.
I have a regular group of decky's and yes they refer to them selves as decky's ,and on any given trip a least one of these fellas is on board. Having a regular on board assists in all the operations performed at sea whether it be anchoring, retrieval of the anchor, launching the boat etc.Theres a place for everything on board and having a regular there helps because they know where everything is. First timers on board need only assist this way.If something is damaged,brocken or lost i generally where the cost. Ive had knives and gaffs lost overboard and for these type of items im not to concerned, but perhaps a rod and reel might be different but appart from my brother loesing a $500 setup and coping a clip over the ear theres never been an incident.( theres a big AJ still on that one!)
Im out there to enjoy myself and a small incident amoung friends isnt going to distroy that.Theres very few things to break on board and if there that flimsy i'll break them off and replace it with something that will last anyway. Anyhow thats how i work, up until now every crew has got on well and generally had a great time...foxy

jimbo59
17-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I always have a stream of fella's wanting to come fishing with me,if there's 4 its 1/4's in everything(usually $50) each,if i get a richard head, like the guy who lowered my motor down pushed the boat in and broke me skeg, while i was over the road getting bait never get's another call. Ididn't charge him to have it welded back on,but i felt like cutting his aggots off.

adamleah
17-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I split the fuel and I organise the bait/Ice When using my boat ...One of my closest mates that usually fishes with me still does not own any fishing gear and somehow the first 3 trips out with me he broke the tip off a rod each time.... ::) ..... Me not happy ... At first he didnt wanna pay ,, But I made hime ;D...
Generally though if it was an accidental break I wouldn't consider asking someone to pay for it... Best Mates are different ;D ...

When Im a deckie, I am quite happy to put in for whatever the captain requires and usually bring my own bait "secret bait" , tackle and food also ..

Rob - Think you must owe me a carton from a long time ago ;)

Foxy ,,, Whens this regular fishing next ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Adam

-spiro-
18-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Dave you somed it up 8)
Some people on this thread must have BIG wallets or LITTLE rigs.
Cheech- on my rig you were only out by $60-$80
$20 for oil
$10 more for bait{fresh and don't run out}
$20 more for towing {4wd are very thirsty}
$10-$30 more for fuel on the boat
Not haveing a go at you just a example.
So i take 2 deckies {and no i don't have a problem with the term} and split the cost 3 ways even!
Let's face it we all go to have a good time and meet new people.

vote FOR razza DECKIE of the YEAR{even help's fillet the catch}

Dave
18-07-2005, 05:44 AM
I think the best way is to split the costs evenly. If you go out on a charter boat it's going to cost you at least a hundred bucks on average. So to spot the skipper halves or thirds in costs works out to be a cheap day out. I have been a deckie on other boats and always offer the funds.If i did happen to break something as a deckie i would certainly offer the costs to repair/replace.

Cheech
18-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Even when I was typing to it did not seem to add up. Geeze, no wonder I don't take my boat for more off shore trips.

But in all seriousness, I think I have succeeded in shifting the discussion to make people realise that unless you are loaded, it is really expensive to be the skipper. And if you are a deckie, you should appreciate the costs that we have.

When I am more cashed up, it does not seem like a big deal, but when I am strapped for cash, still have a boat and still want to go fishing, it is good that those that want to come out apprciate the sharing aspect of it all.

Cheech

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
18-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I truly do understand full well the costs involved in buying, running and maintaining an off shore boat, and the expenses of each trip :o. I appreciate what some of you are saying, and I wouldn't go as a crewman either without offering to contribute. But what I am saying is that we all know these expenses before we start with our own vessels. I have had the boats for my own enjoyment, my own pleasure and often used to go alone. Yes it is dear, and I am by no means wealthy, but my point is that I didn't expect or necessarily want people to help pay for the trip. I am quite happy going alone but it is nice to have a couple of friends along. I'm not suggesting that other people with different ideas are wrong, this is just the way I did it when I had the big unit.

Cheers

Dave

SeaSaw
18-07-2005, 05:45 PM
$20 for oil

I'd forgotten how much those 2 strokes cost to run ??? .... Yippee for the 4 stroke ;D

Mark

Jeremy
19-07-2005, 03:38 AM
good topic.

I don't have any regular crew. I fish by myself quite a bit and boat hop with half a dozen other club members. Occasionally take a new club member or a friend or relative out. I don't have any problem what they are called - deckie, crew or fishing buddies. All mean the same thing and deckie isn't derogatory to me.

Big advantage taking experience boat owners out with you who know their way around a boat and what to do. Alot less work for the skipper.

For the less experienced, I will point out the safety gear and tell them what I want them to do. Keep an eye on them and help them out with tackle and baiting up.

Always do all the rigging (bungs, lights etc) myself before and after as it is just easier and quicker and I know it has been done right and I don't need to worry about the lights or bungs.

For short trips close in, I may not worry about a share of costs, but always expect 50% when there are longer tows or going out further.

To get to the point. If someone broke/lost something on my boat through stupidity, then I would ask them to pay half or full cost to repair/replace depending on what it was and how much it cost. Anything which broke due to poor design, I would cop, and same for any mechanical problems which may occur. Tackle/lures etc are loaned out on a lose it/pay for it basis.

Jeremy

Heath
19-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Dave you somed it up 8)
$20 for oil
Not haveing a go at you just a example.
So i take 2 deckies {and no i don't have a problem with the term} and split the cost 3 ways even!
Let's face it we all go to have a good time and meet new people.

Spiro,
If you are using $20 worth of oil for $30 worth of fuel, there's something seriously wrong with your donk! Equate that to $60 of oil to $90 in fuel as the real usage.

Glad I don't have a round trip of 400km to the ramp too !

JB
19-07-2005, 07:49 AM
I never charge, only good mates usually are deckies and thus i dont expect money. If they offer to buy me a ice break and some chips i cant turn them down though ;D :P

I bought a boat that "i" could afford to run by myself. I really am dumfounded as to the amount of ppl that run boats they obviously cant afford.

Theres no charge on Sic Days, just 1 rule... no winging !

Jas

phewy
19-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Jeremy, I would hope it isn't derogatory to you as "the skipper". But it may be to the real Skippers and real Deckies, you know the ones that are actually employed and paid to be a deckhand not buddies that have to fork out to go for a fish. How do you think it may feel for a true Deckie who works his/her butt off on a busy pro boat to be put in the same category as a buddy who comes along fishing and is asked to do the anchor work, winch the boat up, help wash down etc etc and then is asked to pay for the privilege. One is a deckie and paid for it, the other is a fishing mate on a rec boat who may/should offer to put in for any extra costs involved.

Jeremy
19-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Jeremy, I would hope it isn't derogatory to you as "the skipper". But it may be to the real Skippers and real Deckies, you know the ones that are actually employed and paid to be a deckhand not buddies that have to fork out to go for a fish. How do you think it may feel for a true Deckie who works his/her butt off on a busy pro boat to be put in the same category as a buddy who comes along fishing and is asked to do the anchor work, winch the boat up, help wash down etc etc and then is asked to pay for the privilege. One is a deckie and paid for it, the other is a fishing mate on a rec boat who may/should offer to put in for any extra costs involved.

OK, maybe it is derogatory to 'real' deckies and real skippers to have rec fishers called the same names. Hadn't thought of that, but can't see why it would be ??? It's just a name ???

Phewy, are you a commercial skipper? To me, a skipper is just someone in charge of a boat, rec or commercial makes no difference. Same goes for decky and crew. If you think these names should be reserved for commercial boats, I'd like to hear your logic.

Jeremy

Jeremy
19-07-2005, 08:33 AM
I bought a boat that "i" could afford to run by myself. I really am dumfounded as to the amount of ppl that run boats they obviously cant afford.

Jas

Just because you may ask other people to chip in their share of costs, doesn't mean that you couldn't have afforded to go out by yourself.

Jeremy

phewy
19-07-2005, 11:19 AM
G'day Jeremy. I regard myself as a reccy fisho who drives a boat to and from. Never would call myself a skipper. Save that for the Captains and Skippers on pro/commercial boats and ships with the appropriate licence. Doesn't really bother me other people calling themself Skippers, if thats what turns them on, just dont like people calling fishing mates "deckies", getting them to do work that they would have had to do by themselves, then asking them to cough up expenses that would have been paid with or without them. Just my opinion, may not be others I know. :)

JB
19-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Just because you may ask other people to chip in their share of costs, doesn't mean that you couldn't have afforded to go out by yourself.

Jeremy

But why would u ask for the money if u dont obviously need it? So u can afford to cover all the costs.. why are u askn for it??

noluck
19-07-2005, 12:34 PM
I just would like to say something too
I would not buy boat if i can not pay to go fishing whan i had boat i pay all ,if you give somthing i want say NO .
I will take some one with me just for no to be alone it not realy good to go out in blue yonder by your salf .
for all damidge they will pay for , it never hapend to me any way
I wash my boat it self
I can not stand if they fish like pigs
on thise one peter snaepper will get me for shore (tune oil) ;D

cheers no luck

Cheech
19-07-2005, 04:42 PM
What is this,,,, pick on Jeremy week?? Get off his case.

For those that have a problem with the term Skipper and deckie,,, get over it. It is a term. that is all. As I recall when I did my boating licence course, skipper is the term for the person in control of a recreational boat that we are suppose to use. How can anyone possibly be offended by being called what we are suppose to be called.

As for deckie, yeh, right,,, as if a commercially employed deckie is going to get upset because fishing buddies on a chat site get referred to as deckies...

For those that think it is correct that an "owner" should cover all costs for fishing trips, each to their own. If you happen to be surprised that so many operate that way, does that mean that the majority are obviously wrong, bought the wrong boat that they cannot afford, or whatever,,, or, is thinking that they are wrong perhaps the minority view.

By the way, if there are any skippers (and I will call you whatever you want) that go offshore and would like company, and want to pay for everything just to prove that you can afford your boat, then give me a PM. I would be happy to come along every week and have free trips.

Like I said earlier, I have fished on many boats, and had many fish on my boat, and apart from a couple that are not use to the whole deal, virtually everyone else takes it as a given way to share.

If you do not want to share, there is plenty of shore for land fishing.

Cheech

phewy
19-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Certainly not picking on Jeremy Cheech. And as I said I dont mind anyone calling themselves skippers. Dont want the term used in our boat is all. Nor "deckies". If a mate wants to come and have a fish and help out in the way of launching, retrieving, dropping anchor, hauling anchor, washdown, cleaning catch etc etc then I'm certainly not going to turn around and ask him/her for money that I would have spent anyway if I was going alone. Should really be paying them for helping out on the day and making it easier, just like a real deckie. My opinion only so take it or leave it. (and then, in your words, get over it)

NQCairns
19-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry all but the term Deckie smacks! Two or a group out for an enjoyable day as equals neither/none is the decky and neither is the skipper outside of duty of care considerations for the owner.
Not reading too deeply but if the person was getting a freeby I guess in philosophy it could be argued that he is closer to a decky than if he paid his fair share but still far from a paid boat laborer/hand- a Deckie!

Not being rude here and not casting dispersions. It could be showing my age a bit but I think it comes down to basic manners and gentlemanly character, because anyone that step aboard for a fishing trip is a guest and will for the fullest part be treated like one.. on my honor thats how I also add to my day out.
Anyway it doesnt really matter I heard oil could reach $170 a barrel in 8 years :o. cheers nq

SeaSaw
19-07-2005, 07:21 PM
...... and from this point on, paying deckies shall be know as 'customers' ::)

Now mateship is really out the window ??? ;D ;D ;D

Mark

Jeremy
20-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Like I (think) I said earlier, I ask people who crew with me to pay an equal share of costs, unless they are a relative or close friend. For anyone else, I don't see why they should not share costs for the trip, regardless of whether I could have afforded the trip myself.

It is interesting to see all the different points of view on this. What I thought was standard practice obviously ain't.

Like Cheech said, I'll be happy to crew for someone (with certain conditions) who isn't going to ask me to pay. Any takers?

Actually Phewy, just because I may refer to someone casually as a decky, doesn't mean they do more work. If someone is relatively inexperienced in a boat, I will usually do the anchoring and retrieving myself to avoid problems, usually do most/all of the burleying, will show them how to bait up, and I will be taking them to productive spots I know and teaching them how to fish. More experienced people who come out with me will generally share a bit more of the work with me, and often end up doing a bit of driving as well.

PS. Thanks Cheech, but I didn't feel like I was being picked on by anyone there.

Jeremy

-spiro-
20-07-2005, 05:53 AM
Spiro,
If you are using $20 worth of oil for $30 worth of fuel, there's something seriously wrong with your donk! Equate that to $60 of oil to $90 in fuel as the real usage.

Glad I don't have a round trip of 400km to the ramp too !
Heath did you read what Cheech wrote in his first post? All was related to that!!!
Seasaw when i finish paying off my powerhead a new rig or a four stroke will be next on order ;D
Cheech and Jeramey i am with you. i would like to add extra but i might get boot from the site. HOP in the real world people 8)

basserman
20-07-2005, 06:44 AM
yeh i agree with paul and NQ on this one
however i amily take out family or freinds so i pay for almost everything anyway however donations are never knocked back the second time offed ;)
as they are family and freinds they aren't called deckiy or anything other then "HEY a$$hole" LOL ;D

-spiro-
20-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Let's start a poll hey?

Mad_Barry
20-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Yeah, lay off the degrading and downtrodden deckie terminology,

Just call them a Boat Bitch or Anchor-Boy ;D

(Except if it's me of course and I'm out on someone else's boat, then I would prefer to be known simply as a "Valued and Important Crew Member") 8)

But back to the topic, I do a mix of each, have people out on my boat, or I go out with others. Have no problem with splitting costs, we split up any keepers at the end of the day as well, regardless of who actually caught them. It's not really an issue, most know the costs can pile up pretty quick these days & are happy to throw in. (probably because the guys I fish with are usually other boat owners).

NQCairns
20-07-2005, 07:23 AM
My Missus is bungle when launching and on the boat, fungle when she has some minor medical problems and calamity at all times inbetween ;D

O'Yeah I am refered to as Pugwash anytime I am within 20 feet of a boat, how rude is that!

Commodore
20-07-2005, 09:06 AM
The name of the game is fun. We all enjoy fishing and I would have to say its more fun to fish with someone than no one, who is going to see that big hook up or f^%$ up. ;D
I have had my own boats for years and 9 times out of 10 take a crew; we always share every thing, even driving the boat, cleaning fish, eating fish…. When you get a regular crew its more than some else to pull the anchor and pay for fuel.

Currently I am a professional recreational part time deckie ;), and loving it, with regular trips on other skipper’s vessels, I am more than happy to share what ever or everything. It’s not my boat so I’ll always offer, I know the costs involved and there is always maintenance.

I know from both sides of the fence, fishing is great fun and is even better when you share it with a fellow fisher. ;)
Happy Fishing
Matt

caloundra
20-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't have a boat at the moment so I go out with others I thought I was called a deckie.
I'm the guy getting his feet wet launching/retreaving the boat
I always Pay 1/2 the fuel bill, bring heaps of bait help wash the boat / equipment down and clean the fish
and YES if I break somethink I would pay for it

I Love to go fishing and I know if i had my own boat it would cost a lot more than the few dollars I pay now

Daniel

markpeta
20-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Been out with spiro a few times and have no worries paying fish or no fish. Great time out on the water and Deckie is not a bad word doesn't really matter it's not my boat so I'm not the skipper wouldnt care if spiro called me gilligan and I even wear a terry towling hat. It's just a term so what. Been out on heaps of charter boats and paid $140-$170 to catch jack s**t.

Mark

jimbo59
20-07-2005, 02:10 PM
If i wanna go fishing and someone wants to come along they pay a share, if i go to maca's and someone wants to come along, they pay for there own food,if i go to the flick's they payto get in.Why should i buy more ice, more bait, more fuel,so someone can have a free holiday on my boat.My trips cost $200 or more, plus the cost of my rig,$40,000.When u get your lawn mowed with a mower and operator, it might cost $40.00 p hour,that same guy but now he comes over with a $75,000 slasher the price has just trebled for the same time.And no i'm not a scab i regularly donate to charities.

-spiro-
21-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Hey Mark we have caught fish both times you have been out , haven't we? Been a few years now since i haven't bought any home

Razza
21-07-2005, 01:19 PM
OK Fellas Can i have my say, I love my fishin and dont care what it costs me. If i have money in my pocket there is nothing i would rather spend it on. Ive been out on Snappas boats old and new, on Spiros boat and on Streakers boat.
When i am on someone elses boat what they ask me to do i do and if they want to call me arsehole , decky, shite for brains it dont matter. Im there to enjoy my day fishin and anything i can do to make it more enjoyable for the others there will be done. I enjoy the company of fellow fishers and the competitive side of fishing with others. If i break anything by god ill pay to fix it and any costs incurred on the day are split beetween all. So f*ck it all lets just go fishin
Razza

Billo
21-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Vote 1 Razza for the call of the day [smiley=laola.gif][smiley=laola.gif]#[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] #;D

Well said ! My exact attitude as a decky and as a boat owner the attitude still don't change ! If i need to pay to go fishing ...then i'm paying ! if i get help , all the better , but i would NEVER refuse someone a fishing trip if they can't pay.

Tackle is another story , if they screw something up ...and Know better , then cough up .....if they don't know better , then i should of shown them before giving them my stuff .

accidents are accidents ...if they offer to pay half , it would be accepted . i just try and make sure people CAN'T break something

knakers
21-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Depends if its just a day trip or goin away for a w/e or something. when i lived down south use to take my boat and my vehcile up the coast for long w/e and holiday periods. Mates would come along and it was outlined early that we all throw in equal amount of cash into a kitty. this paid for fuel to get there ,fuel in the boat , bait and ice and our accomadation.
That way it was all even. Food and beer we all bought seperatly.

I personally think that it is rude that people coming along in someone elses boat and not puting in cash for the expences.

I recently sold my boat and now fish with a mate and i always go half half with him. I know there is a nother guy who fishes with him and is an absolute free loader, does not put in for anything except drinking ur beer supply dry!!
I thinkits time my mate brought this to his attention!!

markpeta
22-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Hey Mark we have caught fish both times you have been out , haven't we? Been a few years now since i haven't bought any home

spiro I mean even if we didnt catch any the cost wouldn't worry me. Been stoked with the fish we have gotten.

Mark

gunna
22-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Most of the replies here are from boat owners. I, like lots of them, rarely accept anything from my guests. I am fishing anyway with or without them so it doesn't worry me.

Having said that however, there is something that the guests need to consider. I had a mate with a 5.5M who fished outside just about every weekend. He took the same blokes all the time. When he first started he didn't accept money. They used all his gear and boat - and would sometimes throw in a slab of pillies. The problem was, because he didn't accept money at the start, they assumed that was the case forever and never offered again. He told me privately that it was costing him way too much but he was too embarrassed to ask "mates" for money.

So a message here for the guests. As nice as it is for the owner to knock back the money, its something that simple etiquette says - pass some sort of gratitude on anyway when possible - not just a simple thanks. Might be something like a couple lottery tickets or a few lures. It never goes astray and will always be appreciated.

DR
22-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Most of the replies here are from boat owners. #I, like lots of them, rarely accept anything from my guests. #I am fishing anyway with or without them so it doesn't worry me.

Having said that however, there is something that the guests need to consider. #I had a mate with a 5.5M who fished outside just about every weekend. #He took the same blokes all the time. #When he first started he didn't accept money. #They used all his gear and boat - and would sometimes throw in a slab of pillies. #The problem was, because he didn't accept money at the start, they assumed that was the case forever and never offered again. #He told me privately that it was costing him way too much but he was too embarrassed to ask "mates" for money.

So a message here for the guests. #As nice as it is for the owner to knock back the money, its something that simple etiquette says - pass some sort of gratitude on anyway when possible - not just a simple thanks. #Might be something like a couple lottery tickets or a few lures. #It never goes astray and will always be appreciated.

what your mate has to do is go out a few times by himself & let it slip to the freeloaders, when they ask why he didn't call, all he has to say is he can afford to go out by himself but not supply all the gear etc. for others, if they want to come along they must bring everything themselves..

i take out one mate, he uses all my gear, bait, lures etc. i don't get him to help clean up, i even shout him breakfast. yet don't take money from him, i do , however drink lots of his beer & eat lots of his food from time to time, he does the same to me. in the end it works out pretty equal.

question: all you blokes that have to take money to run the expensive, thirsty boat for the day, #what do you do if no-one is available to go out when you can?? #
i usually just go by myself..

on the other hand, if i go in some one elses boat i will allways offer half...

bidkev
22-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Simon,

You need to get a family as big as mine then you can stop it out of their pocket money.......sometimes you end up in front ;D

Just curious. Are you a Pom? I've been in Oz 10 yrs now and this is the first time that I've heard/seen the word "divying". My old man used it all the time when he was trying to get me to divy up for another round in the pub ::)

cheers

kev