PDA

View Full Version : A Tinny for Beach Launching

whiteman
25-07-2005, 11:34 AM
I am looking for a tinny I can drag down the beach (probably on wheels) to go fishing in the local creek or inshore in good weather.

It therefore has to be light, around 10' long and capable of running a 4-8HP motor. I don't want a trailer or registration hassles. Is a car topper like the Quintrex 340 Traveller the go?

Does anyone do this sort of thing? Any advice as to what I should look for in a small boat is appreciated. This is not a "wanted" advert.

Needmorerum
25-07-2005, 04:45 PM
whiteman, you can do this with a bigger tinny than your looking at. Have a look at some of the tinny wheels available, I've watched blokes around the Cape launch 4m tinny's off the beach with these wheels.
You'll have to give a bit more info, how far do you need to push it, how many people are going to be in it, how far do you intend going when in the water? A 340 is quite a small boat when you put it on the ground and then get into it, and then smaller when you pack it for a day fishing.

Hope this helps,
Corry

PS. Something like this may help.
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=135&item=93235&intAbsolutePage=1

reefraider_II
26-07-2005, 03:18 AM
i would go a little bigger myself, they are not that heavy and with wheels, its an easy job especially if you get the wheels that hook onto the side of the boat not the transom.

whiteman
26-07-2005, 09:39 AM
That looks the go, thanks Corry. Did you see boats being pulled on soft sand? My beach is quite hard except for the last 10 meters which is soft and on an incline. The boat will not be used for all day fishing so it won't carry much more than me and a small esky. If I catch anything big, I'll be close enough to home not to need a large esky.