PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radios with MMSID

Wyoming
23-07-2005, 12:07 PM
G'day folks,

I have recently installed a new Navman VHF radio that has MMSID functionality and I have a valid MMSID issued by the department.

I have read the Navman manual and now I know everything! However, I need to contact someone out there on Moreton Bay, Caloundra or the GC who has MMSID installed on their VHF and I would be interested in seeing if anyone finds this feature useful??? It seems like a good idea to enable you to swap locations with fellow Ausfishers etc.

It would also allow me to find Secret Spot X if given permission by the other MMSID holder, so I could beat you to your own fish...

Any volunteers out there who would be prepared to experiment? You are welcome to PM me or post a reply here...

Neil

bungie
24-07-2005, 01:34 PM
I have it too. Next time I'm heading for the bay I will bive you a call first :)

VP1
24-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Wyoming, you MIGHT have some luck with VMR Point Danger if you give them a try

MMSI numberCall signShip name
005030084VMR460Point Danger Lighthouse

Wyoming
25-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Thanks Grumpy & GOM - I'm going out in about an hour - off to Mud.
Neil

Pwoida
26-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Wyoming,

I wouldn't mind knowing what MMSID is, just for interest sake.

Cheers.

bungie
26-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Basically, it gives your VHF its own "phone" number. Means you can "dial" up others who have the same system and have private chats, organisations can have their own number and people can ring them up. Say Ausfish had its own number, you could dial up and only people who have the number can talk and hear whats going on, a private chat area on the VHF units.

Hope that helps I know what I mean #;D

Also, the latest EPRIB's have the same system inside them. lowers the number of false alarms because the number is registered against your name

Pwoida
26-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Aahhh, I see. Cheers Bungie.

Wyoming
26-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey Bungie - I think there is a weenie error in your explanation. #

My understanding is that each user is issued with an individual MMSID that you enter into your radio. You can apply for your MMSID after you have your certificate of profficiency for the VHF or HF. In the event of a cataclysmic occurrence, you hit the Jesus button on the radio and it sends a digital encoded message on Channel 70 to all stations that monitor it including those hooked up electronically to the EPIRB monitoring stations - that is it's main fuction. #The radio is ideally hooked up to your GPS and it recieves a constant update of your geographical position via a Lat / Lon from the GPS, and the Lat / Lon is continually transmitted to the rescue station in a crisis situation (has to be more serious than not catching fish)

Also, you can enter into your radio the MMSID's of all of your mates or others that you may wish to contact. #Providing that the mate has your MMSID, you dial up the mate that you want to communicate with and only he can recieve your message, sent as a text message to his radio. #Better than this, you can poll him and if he accepts your poll, you can automatically get his lat and lon. #Can't hide at Secret Spot X anymore if you have his permission.

Also, you can't have private chats. All transmissions of data in respect of the MMS are carried out on channel 70 which is not a voice channel. If you did chat on 70, it would not be private as every man and his snapper would hear if they are tuned to 70.

Lloyd - have I got this correct? #How about having an input here.

bungie
26-07-2005, 02:59 PM
DSC is on 70

Private chats are (I believe) on any channel

http://www.navman.com/assets/marine/FINAL%207200%20Quick%20Start.pdf

bottom left of page

I think we both have the same unit ;)