PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Manuals

QldKev
23-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Has anyone seen both the Clymer or SELOC manuals or have either. I can source either easy enough.

SEL1406 All 3 and 4 cylinder models 1965 thru 1992 $30.95
Clymer manual B726 for Mercury 45-225 HP outboards 1972-89

Thanks in advance ;D

NQCairns
24-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Kev not sure on the question but if you nail down the model and Hp of the engine go for a reproduced original workshop manual, the Clymer/seloc are rubbish compared, but in a pinch better than nothing. cheers nq

QldKev
24-07-2005, 05:43 AM
Sorry, should have actually asked a question. Which of the 2 books is the better. I looked at a workshop manual, but was recommended for the average home mecanic not to go there as they can be written for technically minded people.

anthony_love
25-07-2005, 05:23 AM
The Clymer manuals have a little more model-specific information in them, and I think are probably the slightly better manual.

I bought a Clymer manual for my 130hp a couple of years ago and found it to be quite a decent piece of work.

That being said, I recently bought a Seloc manual for my 30hp becuase there was no Clymer manual available. It covers all the basics and will do the job just fine.

nonibbles
25-07-2005, 06:56 AM
try this link and search for clymer manuals (they have all of them and if out of stock will get them) http://www.boatbooks-aust.com.au/
got my johno one from there

QldKev
25-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, I ended up (from a local friend hassling me :) with the Solec for just under $AUD50 posted. Mmm now the scary part touching the engine. ::) ::) ::)

reScuE_RanGEr
27-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Hi

I think Boating & Leisure World at Labrador sell Clymer service manuals for about $47. THat boat-books webiste has them at $75.

SP

NQCairns
27-07-2005, 04:52 AM
Probably the best option but costly would be all 3 or at least the workshop manual and an aftermarket book, sometimes an aftermarket book does a good job of not following through very well where another may just where you need it. There are some typo's in some of the aftermarket books also one I came across once was flywheel torque spec's - not a good place to go light!

Kev dont know what you are up to but consider taking heaps of pics as you go along for reference later and label everything, after a month waiting to get stuff back or done it can be invaluable to refresh the memory. good luck with it. cheers nq

QldKev
27-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Not up to anything at the moment. The engine running great ;D Just have to re-prop it to get the wot revs down a bit, the guy before had it for towing a skier, I'm after off shore work. I'm just after the book so I can start reading and understanding it so when something happens I'm more confident to tackle it. With the help from here my previous boat engine has a new head gasket and ECI box over the 6 years I had it. Makes me feel more happy touching them now.

NQCairns
27-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Happy to hear you are not up to anything yet Kev, sounds like an aftermarket book is the way to go lots of good info in them, if you start getting serious dont forget the workshop manuals are only 7 to 10 days away ;D

Just a thought sometimes the reason skiboat engines last so well with great compression is because of the WOT rpm they need, propping down to within Man spec can and usually does shorten the trouble free life of a traditional 2st engine in the field dependent upon the model of engine to some degree. Keep it in mind anyway, horse for courses. cheers nq