PDA

View Full Version : Tilt problem

deanybean
28-07-2005, 02:29 PM
I have a 75 115 Johno that goes just as good as any other motor except when it is time to us the tilt and trim. It tilts up and down fine but when the tilt motor is denergised the motor
leg falls very quickly to the vertical position approx 30sec.
The tilt consists of 2 external rams and and the motor is on the right hand side of the right hand ram.
Any thoughts on the possible cause of this problem would be unreal. Thanks heaps? :'(

blaze
28-07-2005, 03:40 PM
just at a guess I would think that there will be a valve that is malfuntioning, maybe dirt under seat or simular.
cheers
blaze

BladeRunner
28-07-2005, 03:56 PM
May be a seal has gone or worn in the ram causing it to back feed and the motor weight will cause it to lower in a de-energised conditon. It sounds like the pump is doing a lot of work to tilt the motor if one or both rams is leaking a seal it fall back down .Have a hydralic mechanic take a look he would let you know the problem
BladeRunner

chris78
29-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Definitely sounds like the cylinder is bypassing, Have a hydraulic cylinder repairer have a look at it. It could be a check valve thats jammed open or the seals on the piston may be leaking.

Cheers
Chris

blaze
29-07-2005, 06:17 AM
I sway away from the cycinder leaking because deanybean has said that it operates fine (if the oil was bypassing the piston to such an extent that it allowed a sudden drop when stopped the operation would be slow) if the check valve failed to seal the drop would be quick as suggested
cheers
blaze
ps
mind you I could be wrong

blaze
29-07-2005, 06:19 AM
that to add
have someone put a set of pressure gauges on it, the only way it can be diagnosed.
cheers
blaze

deanybean
03-08-2005, 06:55 AM
I ended up changing the valve body which sits below the resevour and it fixed the problem. It cost me $150 for the part from the reckers and the part was, in let me say less than perfect condition but it fixed the problem.
thank for all your help. ;D

blaze
03-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Hi Deenybean
good to see you had a good outcome at not such a bad price for the fix
cheers
blaze

BladeRunner
04-08-2005, 04:02 PM
deanybean
Great to see you fixed the problem. Stays up now? Tilt that is....
BladeRunner