PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex V Stacer

Gbanger
02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Gday,

looking at buying my first boat, and wanted some advice from fellow fishos... want something just above the 5m mark in a bowrider format with a 90 on the tail... hopefully this size will be able to go offshore on a good day...

quintrex and stacer are made out of the same factory but have slightly different hulls...

'Evo' is stacers trademark hull
'Millenium' is Quintrex counterpart...

Has anyone got any comparison between the two styles and what they are better suited for...

Are Mariner engines reliable... has anyone had major troubles with relatively new mariners?

foggy
02-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Don't leave trailcraft out of the comparisons. They make an awesome boat.

scuttlebutt
02-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I've got a Stacer 525 in the centre console format with a 90 Mariner 4 stroke. Great boat, and very stable. The trade-off is the ride, as heading into a chop with any more than 12 knots of wind blowing can be absolutely punishing and make you wish for an early death. Maybe it's just because it's a tinny. Fantastic when it's flat or over a long swell though (but then aren't they all).
Anyway, the Motor's got over 400hrs on it now and I love it. Smooth, quiet and reliable. Especially good for trolling.

Can't comment on the Quintrex.

cheers,

steve

Needmorerum
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Quinnie is exactley the same. My old man has a 5m Top Ender with a 75 Merc on the back. When smooth it is great, when rough, you wish you were somewhere else.
I've been in both, and they are the same. As said, don't restrict yourself to Quinnie or Stacer. Have a look around.

Corry

visarend
03-08-2005, 04:02 AM
At the end of the day it all boils down to personal opinion and the $'s. Personally I prefer the protection of a cabin to the luxury of a bow rider. In the end I bought a Quintrex 540 Spirit because it has 4/2mm bottom sides materia thickness (3/2 on the Stacer) and the finish of the Quintrex was more apealing for me.

Mine has a Mercury 90hp Optimax on the back - great package.

Enjoy buying your first boat!

Gbanger
03-08-2005, 05:13 AM
the trailcraft does look like a nice boat... unfortunately there are no dealers on the gold coast, quite bizarre i know..

checked out the stacer yesterday.. really is an appealing boat...

I was originally looking at an allycraft cuddy cab... knowing it would probably be a better option for going offshore.. in any given length the cuddy cabs have near identical depth in the hull to the cuddy.. so im prepared to cop getting wet for the extra seating area up front...

Dont plan on going out in really rough conditions anyway, as im not an experienced boatie..

Thanks for your responses... keep em coming

whiteman
03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Quinnie = better resale (why? marketing - even though I'm very happy with my 5.3m Quinnie).

snapattack
03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Try Endless Summer Marine for Trailcraft. They are at Tweed Heads. Definately worth a look.
the trailcraft does look like a nice boat... unfortunately there are no dealers on the gold coast, quite bizarre i know..

checked out the stacer yesterday.. really is an appealing boat...

I was originally looking at an allycraft cuddy cab... knowing it would probably be a better option for going offshore.. #in any given length the cuddy cabs have near identical depth in the hull to the cuddy.. #so im prepared to cop getting wet for the extra seating area up front...

Dont plan on going out in really rough conditions anyway, as im not an experienced boatie..

Thanks for your responses... keep em coming

Black_Rat
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey G #;D

I know of a boat, all ya need to do is hire the boat and skipper at the same time #;) #;D ;D ;D alot cheaper #:-*
Mate next cracker forcast i'll be headin out the Seaway and give ya a ring, should have a copy of the CD of trip soon too #:D

Damo.

Gbanger
03-08-2005, 12:50 PM
yeh ill be there for sure damo... gimme a bell...

really keen to line up my own vessel.... living on the goldie, and 5 mins away from the ramp, im doing myself no justice sitting at home on any given weekend...

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-08-2005, 04:24 PM
i gotta stacer - very happy

the difference is the millenium hull on the quinnie - do you want that hull ? Supposed to be a softer, drier ride in the slop - you lose some underfloor space to do it. Also the new quinnies have a lot of internal panelling to clean when the mackeral blood starts spraying around.

fishface05
03-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Banger,

Probably worth checking out Formosa tinnies as well. They make a really good boat, much stronger and more durable than either quinnie or Stacer. Full welding under the gunnels and on the decks as opposed to stitch welds on the other brands.

I heard a rumour that they are debuting a new 5.2m bowrider at the Brisbane boat show. Might be well worth a look. They seem to be very well priced as well. A mate of mine has one in a center console and its definitely the driest centre console ive ever been in, so I reckon if they do the same with the bowrider that the bow lounge should be driest around as well.

Check out www.queenslandpowerboats.com.au for some details.

Gbanger
04-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Trailcraft are way out of my pricerange.... another 5-10k on top of stacer...

the quintrex moulded panels look a bit dodgy, and theyre more expensive...

Stacer Easyrider 525 is going to be my choice...

Oldyella
05-08-2005, 07:23 AM
If it comes on a Stacer/Dunbier Easiloader trailer, make sure it's set up so that the 2 rails are not near the edge of the chines (pressings) or it will be near impossible to get on straight. I had to move mine out about 3" both sides.
We bought a new 4.6 Sunmaster sports, and the only problems have been the one above, and a bit of water (1 litre) getting in through bad bung seals. Used to a F/Glass boat, so it does really whack the waves, but hard to fault it.