PDA

View Full Version : Stessl gone bust?

wheezer
30-06-2005, 06:58 AM
I needed to have have some warranty work done on my less-than-6month old 425 ET and was told by my dealer that Stessl has gone into voluntary receivership and that at the moment my boat is no longer covered by a warranty! Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it true?

mako_5.2
30-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Hope not or thats the end of my warranty.

Mad_Barry
30-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I know they went into/had receivership problems about 3 yrs ago, then sorted it out. Maybe not sorted out well enough if this is the case again now.

EDIT: just tried to ring them, ph is on answering machine, will try again later.

lordy
30-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Wheezer I heard that too.

visarend
30-06-2005, 10:13 AM
I was looking into buying a Stessl about a month ago and heard from a very reliable source that Alf and his son have broken away to start another boat building outfit. ??? I suppose it will all come out in the wash one of these days.

wheezer
30-06-2005, 10:15 AM
my local shop said as a gesture of goodwill they will foot the repair bill this time, but after that, too bad. Not too happy considering boat is so new

caloundra
30-06-2005, 10:39 AM
there was a thread a couple of weeks ago about them changing there name to makocraft ???

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1118673513

Daniel

jimbo59
30-06-2005, 11:09 AM
How many times has alfred changed names now? :-X ???

Jeremy
30-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I needed to have have some warranty work done on my less-than-6month old 425 ET and was told by my dealer that Stessl has gone into voluntary receivership and that at the moment my boat is no longer covered by a warranty! Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it true?

I would be pretty bloody unhappy with this sort of response. They sold the boat to you with the warranty. It should be them left exposed, not you. I know you have another post below saying they have agreed to fix it this time, but if anyone else gets the same response, I would be calling Dept Fair Trading to see what your rights are.

Jeremy

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
30-06-2005, 06:09 PM
So would I! >:(And I'd be going to the media as well. Alf Stessl has made a good living from the boating fraternity I am sure. As has his retail outlets. Reciprocal loyalty should not just be hoped for, but rightfully expected. I would be phoning the man himself, at home if need be, and/or going to see him.

Dave

2iar
30-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I would be pretty bloody unhappy with this sort of response. They sold the boat to you with the warranty. It should be them left exposed, not you. I know you have another post below saying they have agreed to fix it this time, but if anyone else gets the same response, I would be calling Dept Fair Trading to see what your rights are.

Jeremy

Ethically, you're might be right. But in my opinion it will depend on the type of warrantly they sold. If it's a dealer warranty, it's unquestionably their responsibility. But if it's a manufacturers warranty they're off the hook. As I understand it, in normal circumstances, Stessl would have reimbursed the dealer for any cost of work they'd have to do to fix up Stessl's poor workmanship (if Stessl didn't do the work themselves). However, if Stessl's gone tits up the dealer would be out of pocket in time and materials through no fault of their own.

Would be happy to be wrong though :(

I've no opinion of boat dealers one way or the other to be honest, so I'm not sticking up for them. Just looking at it from neutral point of view and it's a curly one.

A fair kick in the nuts for the poor guys left with the expensive damaged goods though. I certainly feel for you, and hope it works out. :(

Good luck,
Mike

bignick
01-07-2005, 01:56 AM
Ahh, the old warranty side-step and flick pass wherein everybody is quite happy to take your money off you at time of purchase, but none of those same industrious souls are willing to back up their sales pitch and honour said any warranties, be they implied or otherwise. It would be much easier if, once the manufacturer goes into receivership, their products are immediately removed from dealerships so as to avoid such happenings. However, as the dealerships have to buy the products via a similar arrangement to HP, they then have to sell them in order to recoup their monies and/or make a profit. Remember, though, that the dealer only buys a hull from a manufacturer 9 times out of 10 and the dealer then does all the pre-sale fit-up. Therefore, any problems and associated warranty claims with regard to that part of the set-up would fall squarely in the lap of the dealer. A word of advice; don't be fooled by dealers' artful dodgings. Arm yourself with all the facts with regard to where you stand legally, go and front the dealer and only speak to someone who can authorise the things you need to be done. Good luck with it all.

Cheers,
NICK.

mako_5.2
01-07-2005, 03:02 AM
Ther is a round of the Stessl challenge on at Somerset on the 9th and 10th of July or maybe the receiver challenge

anthony_love
01-07-2005, 04:30 AM
The trade practices act says that the dealer has to look after you.

Your warranty agreement is with the dealership, NOT the manufacturer....unless you signed some kind of contract assigning the warranty obligations back to the manufcturer...

Contact your local office of fair trading (or consumer affairs, or whatever they are called where you live). They can help sort the mess out.

Glind
01-07-2005, 04:45 AM
How many times has Alf Stessl gone bust now.........about 3 times I think. Gone 1 minute, then back the next and in the meantime, innocent people have lost a heap of money eg suppliers, customers etc.
And now he is back again.......come on.
Where is the accountability for people who cannot run a business properly ( not only pointing the finger in the marine industry but also builders, pool constructors etc). They should be eliminated from the industry.
Tim

basserman
01-07-2005, 10:05 AM
as mike said above the warrinty for the hull would be from stessle as the warrinty for the motor would be through that maker
however if the boat was sold as a BMT package then the dealer should be the one that chases up the people to repaire the goods how ever as in this case he can't do much if the company has gone down the drain and can't fix or pay for the goods to be fixed
as for hull still being sold well alf like all other boat companiys would have the boats sold to dealers as they don't consing them ::) so the dealers would be in the same boat so to say as the boat owners after all after this gets out who will want to buy a boat that has no warinty ;)

redspeckle
01-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Well it must be true on my way home from work called into Leisure Marine Bayside (to get refective tape ) not Stessl boat in the yard for sale all gone [smiley=stunned.gif]
Looks they are not going to get stuck with warranty issues on these Stessl boats [smiley=behead.gif]
As the saying goes warrninty is only still good if still in the bussiness, (no bussiness no warranty)
Mitch

Mr_Bean
01-07-2005, 01:22 PM
From what I hear the "new boats" are at the Melbourne boat show.

Minor changes to meet the legals, and labelled: "Mako - A Stessl Family Company"

Just enough change to keep THEIR end legal and get administrators off THEIR back.

Doesn't sound good for current Stessl owners if they need warranty, hopefully won't affect many.

- Darren

basserman
01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
what is the real crying shame is that if this was a car builder there would be a huge outcry from the media and goverment to ensure that the owners of them would be looked after
same thing should happen with boats i say >:(

adds31
01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
If they have gone bust!, it wouldn't be from welds cracking or the hull ending up with splits in it would it. Maybe with boats now its not a drama but a few years ago it was. I would never buy another one.

Pedro
02-07-2005, 05:28 AM
I once bought a Stessel and it split down the keel the first time I used it.I approached the dealer and he said I had to send it back to the factory and I had to cover costs,I didn't agree. I jumped in my car drove to the Brisbane boat show from Rockhampton where I was living at that time and fronted MR Stessel. I didn't like his attitude and he beat a retreat before his keel was split.
i have never even considered any boat made by him again.
How can people operate like he does and get past consumer affairs
Regards
Pedro.
PS The dealer gave me a new boat, a Stacer, after I asked him nicley with my hand around his throat.

caloundra
11-07-2005, 05:50 PM
saw this add in the trading post today ??? ???

RobSee
11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I had a Chat with Tim Stessl today at the GC boat show. Alf has retired and they sold the Stessl name, and the Clartk name, and both Stessl and Clark boats will now be made by a boat trailer manufacturer (cannot remember the name). Now that Quintrex make some of their own trailers - this trailer manufacturer want to get into the boat building market and just opted to buy a known company.

Tim seemd like a really good bloke, and I'm sure there are many more people happy with their boats than those like Pedro.

Petro mate - you were obviously not happy, but I'm not sure if threatening a bloke in the middle of a boat show is the best way to get satisfaction. Think of the "softly softly" approach to landing that big lizard. Anyhow I don't know the full story so I won't say anything further.

All of the old Stessl sponsored tournaments will continue - now branded as Makocraft.

We'll have to see if they are able to win Boat of the year again

fishin_till_late
13-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Just going through the "Makocraft" website, it explains how Alf Stessl retired and Tim and his sister Nicloa have started "Makocraft". I also had a look through the range of boats and it seamed 2 me that the range of boats were of a large similarity 2 the Stessl range.

Pedro i know this probably wouldnt help your cause but 4 those who have been looking 4 the stessl design they are still available just under the "makocraft" name

Burley_Boy
13-07-2005, 07:57 PM
If I bought a company fair and square I'd ensure that all dealeships continued and that the phones were manned. Sound shonky if you ask me and if suppliers have lost out to liquidation I'd say it's what's otherwise known as phoenix activity. :-/

stunnedmullet
14-07-2005, 04:48 AM
Stessl..makocraft .....same boat different sticker ???
The mullet

safish
14-07-2005, 11:20 AM
For everybody that bought their boats Karee Marine, we are still honouring the full Stessl warranty on boats bought from us (via an arrangement with Tim Stessl, so it is factory backed), and are also stocking the new Mako product. Give Dean a ring on 07-3875 1600 if you bought your boat of us and have any questions

Burley_Boy
14-07-2005, 03:48 PM
So have they sold the old company to someone who is not interested in running it or have they just started up a new one while leaving all the old creditors up the creek and liquidating a company that has run up a tab with its suppliers.
If thats what they're doing and it sure as hell sounds like it, they're crooks and don't deal with the buggers. I wouldn't buy the new product on that principle alone.
IMHO.

safish
14-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Burley Boy - Trust me as a dealer carrying more then $200k stock, I was pretty ticked off when they "went bust". However, we tried to make the best of the situation, and managed to get the warranties for our old customers carried by Tim Stessl himself.
For the record - Alf has been under external administration since 2001. The GST send him belly up originaly. Don't ask me how, but he was not the only business in Oz. He has been trying to trade himself out of it for the past 3 years - repaying all debts etc. More or less the honourable thing to do, I'd say. Meanwhile he has had a heart bypass last year, and is a pretty sick man. He clearly could not go on, and retired. This forced the external administrator the liquadate Stessl. It has been sold to new owner that may or may not honour warranties. If he want to give it a go, I'd say he'll have to.
In the meanwhile Tim Stessl (Alf's son) has started up Mako, based on the old Stessl product range, obviously with Alf's help where possible. Maybe give Mako a ring directly if there is any more confusion ?? - Karee Marine

Burley_Boy
14-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a really honest business man...
So Tim Stessl instead of giving his dads company a go they decide to wipe the slate clean, sell the business and its debts and problems then immediately start up a competing business using similar boats same website designer same name in their advertising (Stessl family company) and refer back to years of service as a Stessl manufacturer. Nice large range of boats and minimal debt can I assume.
Sounds to me like the're screwing everyone involved including the new "owners" and the GST excuse is BS as it just took out people who used tax money to trade. The people who could not run an honest business with good accounting practice before the GST were stuffed after the GST. If the GST knocked him on the head I must assume that they had really poor trading and payment record prior to GST introduction, if anyone can confirm or deny I'd be curious to know. Any supplier prior to 2001 must know if they paid their bills or not.

Anyway don't expect sympathy on this record, if they have acted honourably then I take my hat off to him and his son but they will require a decent PR campaign in that case as it sounds shonky to the rest of us.
Just my #opinion though

jocool
14-07-2005, 07:54 PM
I know I haven't posted for a while, but I have been lurking.

Sounds to me like the're screwing everyone involved including the new "owners" ............... it sounds shonky to the rest of us.
Just my opinion though

Sorry to say ...they did go bust! To the tune $2 MIL! Left a lot of people...suppliers and former employees hanging out to dry!

The name Stessl, and all the designs, jigs and machinery was purchased from the recievers by the guy that built my boat, Brumb's Welding and Fabrication. He has bought it in collaboration with a trailer manufacturer, but I'm not sure which one.

I have spoken to him over the last couple of days as he is doing some work on my boat, and the issue of warranty on Stessl boats has copped a mention. His purchase of Stessl holds no obligation for him to warrant any Stessl/Clark hulls he didn't build!

BUT ...He will not be turning everyone away. He will access each claim on it's merits and try and help if possible!

I have also heard mention that Tim Stessl will still honour the warranties on their old hulls! But I have no way of confirming that.

I hope this helps to alleviate any stresses Stessl owners may have been feeling.

jocool
14-07-2005, 07:55 PM
double post

Burley_Boy
15-07-2005, 08:52 AM
The customers are the lifeblood of the operation so I understand why they would offer this sort of comfort or else the new operations would not be touched with a 10foot pole.
The suppliers have been burnt and are cheaper to replace than the customers.
I agree with DR that Phoenix could be a new brandname for them to push as they have certainly built the foundation for it. ;D

If I was the new owner I would bury the name under a pile of s*&$* and use the plans and machinery to rebrand with a clean slate.
Hope he didn't pay much for the name as it sounds more like a liability, dropped by suppliers, dealers and customers alike.

alby
19-07-2005, 12:42 PM
i am sorry to hear about your ET. i all so have a ET 475 and love it.
it a bit strange stessl gone bust when in the fishing monthly KAREE MARINE are still have adds for them try giving them a call on 38751600
they helped me out once.

Brett_Hoskin
19-07-2005, 02:47 PM
my local shop said as a gesture of goodwill they will foot the repair bill this time, but after that, too bad. Not too happy considering boat is so new

Regardless of who has gone broke the Dealer who sold you the boat is liable to honour the statutory or offered warranty , whichever is the greater.

Remember that you didn't buy the boat from Stessel so you have no contract with them you DID buy it from the dealer and therefore DO have a contract which MUST be honoured.

If Stessl has gone bad the dealer will not be able to recover his expenses to effect the repair......bad luck, thats business and the risk a dealer takes.

If you want some more info write a post on the aus.legal website.

I agree with the oter poster and seek info from Fair Trading Dept. I would suggest that you do not mention that Stessl have gone broke , the only thing you are concerned with is that the dealer will not honour the warranty he offered.

We all hav statutory rights and these cannot be changed even if we sign a contract with different conditions.

Brett_Hoskin
19-07-2005, 03:13 PM
as mike said above the warrinty for the hull would be from stessle as the warrinty for the motor would be through that maker
however if the boat was sold as a BMT package then the dealer should be the one that chases up the people to repaire the goods how ever as in this case he can't do much if the company has gone down the drain and can't fix or pay for the goods to be fixed
as for hull still being sold well alf like all other boat companiys would have the boats sold to dealers as they don't consing them ::) so the dealers would be in the same boat so to say as the boat owners after all after this gets out who will want to buy a boat that has no warinty ;)

Sorry mate the warranty , by law , is the responsibility of the retailer...full stop. Many dealers try to pass the buck back to the manufacturer but what they are doing is against the law. It is up to the dealer to fight the manufacturer to recover his repair expenses. Many manufacturers do make good warranty repairs and reimburse the retailer or they just do the repair themselves so the dealer doesnt load up the warranty backcharge.
Seek advice from Fair Trading and do not asume you do mot have any rights. Remember there are statutory rights and laws to protest us from ourselves.

Gutsy
20-07-2005, 04:14 AM
reply post about this topic on another website
http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10464&highlight=stessl

DR
20-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Interesting that tim stessl joined up & replied on that other site, but could not be bothered coming here to defend his product.
is it a bream thing?? ;D

waycool78
05-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Tim has started another company - I think it is Makocraft. As per the Marine Business mag it says Alf is there in an R&D role!!

JB
05-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Anybody in thier right mind after reading all of this wouldn't touch one of those new makocrafts with a bloody barge pole. Sounds like a good solid reliable company.. NOT ::)

Jas

Blueby
05-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Gotta agree JB - I bought a Stessl 5 months ago and while I have had no probs the 3 year hull warranty was one of the things that closed the deal. 5 months ago Alf and tim would probably have had an idea of what they were planning I reckon and to continue to sell boats in that situation is just plain dodgy.

How anyone could seriously consider buying a makocraft given the history of stessl is beyond me. >:(