PDA

View Full Version : Time for corrosion repair

madman1
05-08-2005, 07:38 AM
I am finally biting the bullet and taking the boat off the water for the next couple of weeks to fix my corrosion problem.

The plan of attack is to remove the offending additions, sand the area, seal it, apply duralec and re fit.

What sealer should I use?

How's this for an alternative, Remove additions, sand effected areas, clean, apply a sh!tload of sicaflex to the effected areas and cover with a shaped piece of cutting board, then reattach the ski hooks etc...

I am led to believe corrosion only occurs where salt water and air come into contact with a weak link (ie the ski hooks). With this in mind wouldn't applying sikaflex as the sealer and top coat do the same thing?

If anyone out there has done this recently any advise on getting away from this problem quickly and cheaply would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

SharkBait
05-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Hey there Madman!
Hmmmm my advice re your corrosion problem!??? Catch lots of fishies and the oil that there wiggling bodies excrete can act as a rust preventitive as it flicks and runs all over ye old boat!!! - - plenty of oil in them Moreton Bay longtails hehehe.
Just Joshing - I think being at work is highly overated! Anyhoo maybe you can lay her up for a while and come out in ye old Shark Bait - - drop bye anytime!
Love your Avatar to by jove - I think i need to adopt a similar one!
Cheers

madman1
05-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Get back to work Norm

SharkBait
05-08-2005, 10:23 AM
:D work who is what is nahh must have been a bad nightmare!

shhh the boss is listening :-X

noluck
05-08-2005, 06:37 PM
need more info .is it boat painted #???(aluminium)
if, so remove all rust and #apply etch primer part A and part B many times to till u fill #in level with rest of area ,u may
have to #do 3 or 5 or #7 coats
u have to faind out wich brush or grainding wheel u can use
(bras or steel ) becouse some of thise staf if u use will rust in short time after u fix . ones is painted u can putt sikaflex
and put back on hooks etc.
i hope this is bit of help
cheers no_luck