PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Launchers

Pual
27-07-2005, 10:06 AM
G'day fellow fishers.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good stainless steel worker who does jobs for the right price.
And are there any pointers as to putting rocket launchers on a Cuddy cab.
All advice wellcome
Pual

Fishin_Dan
28-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Pual,

What are you looking to do with the rocket launcher? I'm looking to install one into my cuddy cab in the near future. I will use to store rods up out of the way, but it will also be incorporated into the bimini. I've attached a simple picture of what I'm hoping to achieve. Not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but just my ideas... I saw a similar setup on a boat, and have just slightly modified it to suit my boat!! (Thanks Webby ;) ;D )

I just have to get back home and measure it all up to make sure it is all plausable. As it's on;y a 14' cuddy, space is an issue.

SharkBait
28-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi Guys
I have a Qunitrex 5m Cuddy and am planning to fit a launcher at present as well. I have sussed the BIAS - whitworths ones and they dont seem half what I want, have found a really good alternative and looking to get one fitted by these guys that attatches direct to my bimini covers.
I have seen the said rocket launcher fitted to a boat in a Boat shop in Oxley Ave Redcliffe and they look great, made by a company in NERANGBA. I have a quote for one - $250 fitted, sounds pretty good.
The details of the Company:
Mobile Boat Canopies
07 38881803 - Terry

Hope that helps
Cheers
NB

RAGINGBULL
28-07-2005, 03:30 PM
You really want to keep the 2 back struts as far as is possible forward or as close as possible to the cabin ( more space on the sides)
I had the stainless bent up and then fiddled and farted around untill Viola!!
All up it still cost me Roughly $700.00
Stainless bent to my drawings $400.00
A proper 90 percent shade cloth all rigged up and laced cost $260,00
Check my profile it may help

Mark

Fishin_Dan
28-07-2005, 09:24 PM
You really want to keep the 2 back struts as far as is possible forward or as close as possible to the cabin ( more space on the sides)

Yeah that's the position I'm in now mate... Gotta get back to QLD before I can measure up and then look seriously at getting it. Personally, I don't think it's the rocket launcher that's the biggest question for me... I'm thinking more about the bimini! I've had friends who have made their own before, and I'm trying to work out if the design I want has to be hand made (By either myself or someone professional) or if it's an "off the shelf" thing...

Any mods I make to the boat will be a post on here though, so keep an eye out... Probably start a group of threads called "The Dancer rebuild" or the like (Dancer being what I'm looking to call the boat... LONG story!!!!!)

Pual
29-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Yeh, Fishin Dan thats kind of what I,m after - a rod storage rack
, and also the anchor light, and the radio arials, and shade for the driver and passenger.
As Raging Bull says the back struts need to be as near the cabin as they can but still provide shade and support.
Some of the ready made models in the chandleries are just to flimsy for my liking and how long they would last would be another issue.
I may follow Sharkbait's suggestion and source the Mobile Canopies.
Sharkbait, could you post me - is the rocket launcher made from stainless or alloy.
Thanks for the reponse guys.
Pual

Fishin_Dan
29-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Pual,

Sounds like we are both after the same thing... Maybe we should get our boats together and get a "bulk" discount from the Mobile Canopies!!! ;D I'm hoping to have mine done in the next few weeks, so will post pics and stuff of the progress.

I haven't seen the actual rocket launchers from places like Whitworths/BIAS/etc, so don't know what the quality of them is like. I was thinking of using one of them, but would have to see it before I make that decision! Might be cheaper to get a metal place to bend up the steel to suit, then just add on rod holders to it yourself....

SharkBait
29-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Guys
The item I am refering to is alluminium, it is what I believe to be the next grade up from the wobbly budget style ones you see at the boating warehouses that are self fit. They retail at about 170 dollars so the version done in Nerangba is pretty good value.
Its not stainless but its modulated as part of your canopy #- meaning no extra holes in your boat! I believe Springwood Marine have a contact for a good stainless version though I havent quoted. Mobile Boat Canopies do entire canopies with launchers as well, dont know them from a bar of soap myself but there work looks good.
cheers

Cheech
29-07-2005, 03:59 PM
3.2mm wall alluminium is pretty strong. Unless you are trying to swing off it. Then you would need stainless.

The suggestion I would make would just to choose the rod holders that go on it with care. I have seen a few professionally made rocket launchers that are never used because they damage the rod buts or the reel posts. Some are bad design with no bottom stoppers and sharp(ish) edges that scratch the reel post. Just ask yourself would you be happy to have your rod sitting in it when you are bashing through a bit of sea, and you will soon get a clear idea of what you will be happy with.

Cheech

Pual
05-08-2005, 11:23 AM
You are absolutely correct Cheech. It has been suggested to me that you can buy nylon type inserts for the top of the rod holders, but these also have to be very carefully sanded to stop any damage to your rod hypalon. Also a pin for the gimbal is a necessity with the rod holders in a rocket launcher.
Pual

T-REX
05-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Pual,
Just a thought that you may have already considered, watch the angle that you place your rocket launchers at on your canopy. Take a rod and set it where you think it should sit and have a look at where the rod tip is in relation to the transom. Any rods left in the rocket launcher can create a problem if trying to cast and you forget that they are above you. Might save an expensive breakage or a nasty tangle.
See Ya

Pual
11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Yeh, good point T-Rex as I am a pretty enthusiastic striker (some mates say dangerous striker when I get a bite. I prefer to think that I leave nothing to chance, I am either hooked up or not, no half measures) and would not like a mishap to occur.
Pual

Fishin_Dan
11-08-2005, 11:59 AM
I went and had a look at the Rocket Launchers @ Bias the other week. The one thing I noticed about them was they "rock" a little left to right. On my boat, that would be easy to fix though I think.... The reason it seems to have a bit of sideways flex is due to both "bars" being bolted at the same point. If you have wide gunnels on your boat, then you could shorten one "bar" a little more than the other one. This would give you 2 different mounting points when looking at it sideways, and because the 2 "bars" get joined at the top cross bar, it would reduce any flex.

I've done up a really quick pic to try and explain what I'm talking about better.... If no-one understands my ramblings, let me know and I'll try to explain better. If anyone doesn't think this would work, please also let me know.

Fishin_Dan
11-08-2005, 12:02 PM
The black one is the "rear bar" and the grey is the "front bar". The grey one will be mounted on the upwards slope of the back of the cabin, and the black one mounted on the gunnel just behind the upwards slope.

The red lines are the 2 pieces that "hold" the 2 bars together. They are like a clamp type thing, and the actual rod holders themselves also hold the 2 bars together...

Hope this helps.