PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Motor Trolley

whiteman
17-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I have a 6hp motor that needs a trolley stand. Has anyone made one? I know you can buy these things but they look flimsy for what you pay for. A photo would be greatly appreciated.

Owen
17-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I have one for my 8hp Yammy. It's just a fridge trolley (single wheel not the type that climbs stairs).
It just has some timber bolted to the top to hang the motor on.
It works fine, except it'd be best to lengthen/reinforce the plate at the bottom to lessen the chance of it tipping over.

basserman
17-08-2005, 12:13 PM
i used to have the same set up as owen descibed and it worked a treat and cost less than $50
the best thing about it is you also have a hand trolly if you need to move things as well ;)

Trolly with pump up tyres from supercheap $35
bit of 4 by 1 $0 go get a cut off for the job
couple of u bolts and nuts $7

couldn't be easyer ;D

TonyM
17-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I agree - I have used the hand trolley with a bit of wood bolted near the top of the handles for years.

Have used it a lot for smaller motors (up to 15hp 4stroke) and even used it for an old 50hp chryler no worries [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

2iar
17-08-2005, 02:24 PM
I've done the same as Basserman and Tony suggested, but I didn't even bolt the ply on - I've just tied it on good and tight with a length of rope as it's easier to convert back to "fridge trolley" mode if need be.

From memory the Supercheap trolley was a bit less than $35 - closer to $25 if I remember correctly (the taller red one, not the little yellow one).

It could do with a bit more support at the bottom if left free standing with the motor running, but I just hold it upright when running the 6hp I have on it, works fine.

Better than spending $80 odd elsewhere.

Good luck,
Mike

FNQCairns
17-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Here is a link I just stumbled across

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=039923

whiteman
18-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys. I already have the SuperCheap red trolley but it seem like it will fall back on the motor - as per Owen's comments. I'll test it tonight a little more thoroughly. FNQ - that's a really good site and I should have looked at it as well!

Kiktz
18-08-2005, 12:08 PM
How are the proper trolleys to buy?