PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Batteries

Dignity
19-08-2005, 08:57 PM
What experiences has any one had with 12v Calcium Batteries. Got talked into buying one about 12 months ago. Supposed to be excellent for cranking the motor, had no troubles with it as I used it only for starting the motor and always switched to the other battery for lighting and equipment after getting to the fishing grounds. 2 months ago it died. I couldn't get it charged up so took it back to the supplier who said he would charge it overnight. When the missus picked up 2 days later it was a new battery with a new warranty and nothing was said as to why.

Now due to circumstances beyond my control (read missus changes plans) I haven't had the boat out for 3 weeks but when I did go to start the motor it would barely turn over. Got me to thinking I had some leakage somewhere and sure enough left the battery switch on and the pilot light for the anchor winch was on.

Tried to charge the battery up. Couldn't get it beyond 11.75 V so stopped trying after 3 days. Checked it 2 days later and it is down to 6.5V. Thinking that there is a serious problem with this battery. I now notice that there is a sticker on the new battery that invalidates the warranty if the battery gets fully discharged. Wasn't on the original battery. Is this a common problem and should I steer clear of calcium batteries in boats as a mate at work reckons they definately do not like being partially discharged let alone fully discharged. Yet I have anothe mate that has run his new fridge freezer on 1 for a full weekend with a recharge in between for 3 weeks now. I am thourougly confused.

Sam

Dignity
20-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Took the battery in this morning and they are going to try and charge it - suspect it wont charge. They didn't have a replacement one of the same type but I did notice on the way out that amongst their dead battery stockpile probably aquarter were the same as the one I had brought in.

Sam

bj
20-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Have had two calcium batteries in my diesel Landcruiser for two years now and have found them to be very good. One of the batteries is a starting battery and the other is a deep cycle battery that runs fridge lights etc. I now need two batteries for my boat and was thinking of getting two calcium marine batteries for it, just wondering if the brand of battery you had the problems with may be a factor.

Dignity
20-08-2005, 07:22 PM
BJ - can't honestly tell you - the second battery in my boat is a hybrid calcium and it works well. #The Calcium -Calcium batteries have a high starting rate eg the one I had (with all the probs) was 750 crank amps where as the standard appears to be about 640 amps. #I went back today (as I really wanted to get the boat back in the water) to where I bought it (have bought my last 7 batteries here) and after only 4 hours of charging they handed me a brand new battery but not a calcium-calcium. # I am happy with this decision as I was prepared to pay for a new battery. #As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on Calcium-calcium batteries. # One of the reasons is that I can't get any one to specifically detail whether they act as a starting battery or a deep cycle battery. #From what I can gather is that use as a deep cycle battery is likely to cause problems but then again you have had no problems and a mate of mine hasn't either. # #As you said it could be the brand but I don't want to slag the one I had as the company has been very fair with me albeit a little coy on this matter.

Sam