PDA

View Full Version : how do i take off the steering wheel?

damons33
22-08-2005, 05:56 PM
i broke my steering box yesterday out at hutchies, gee it was fun driving back using the gaff as a tiller! took 1 and 3/4 hours.
it has a anti-feedback box that has something broke in it as motor now swings freely, i was trying to take it out to get it replaced/fixed but i can't get the steering wheel off. i took the main nut off the shaft and then reefed on the wheel trying to pull it off...no luck.even used 2 screwdriver to try and lever it off, still no good! there is no surclip and it doesnt look corroded on its one of those cheap plastic jobs. all body try this before with this type of steering?
does it need a fly wheel puller? or has the washer got a trick to it as i couldn't fish it out either.
any advise much apprieciated!
:-[
damon
:)

blaze
22-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Undo the nut so it is at the same hieght as the thread (gotta be spot on), now sing out to mate. Get ya mate to pull on both sides of the steering wheel and you give the nut a good firm hit with a hammer (making sure the blow with the hammer is square on)
Apply grease when reassembling and only do the nut up firm. It is on a taper
cheers
blaze

banshee
22-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Nine times out of ten Blaze's method works a treat,if it dosen't you will have to use a puller,if you have to resort to the puller you can chew out the base of the steering wheel so perservere with the hammer and mates for as long as you can.

SeaSaw
22-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I broke a steering wheel a while ago and tried everyting to get it off. The hammer trick didn't work, a wheel puller wouldn't budge it. I ended up having to cut it off slowly making sure not to cut into the main shaft. As soon as I got down to the main shaft it broke free. This worked for me as I was going to throw the old wheel away anyway. They can get corroded on pretty hard.

Mark

Bundaberg_Bandit
22-08-2005, 09:52 PM
I've done the hammer way as well, but a mate wasn't around at the time so I did it myself.

I have a centre console, so I manouvered myself onto my esky/seat, legs up in the air, then slip them under each side of the steering wheel to provide upwards pressure, and give it a hit.

Worked second hit for me on an old corroded wheel, but I must have looked like a d :o ckhead doing it

cheers

BB

cheno
22-08-2005, 10:01 PM
That totally sucks. Lucky it was calm.

Blazes method has allways worked for me. You often cannot see the corrosion from the top after removing the nut and washer. Plenty of grease/lanolin upon reassembly and frequent removal and regreasing is the best prevention. Penetrene will help if you have the time to let it work. May as well hit it hard and use a decent hammer if you are going to throw the steering box away. Depending on the set up/material of your boat (ally plate should be okay) you could also undo the securing bolts on the helm box itself before whacking it.

steve