PDA

View Full Version : helm: morse controls.is this repairable?

damons33
23-08-2005, 08:27 PM
thanks for the advise to get the wheel off, 2nd tap with the hammer off it came!
now i pull the helm box apart and i couldn't sight a broken part inside.
i want to know is this worth repairing or is it a better idea just to replace it?
it is a morse controls heavy duty helm. wheres the best place to buy it if thats the case? glasscraft marine?
if i buy a new one how do i set it on the cable in the right spot ?
thanks for your help ,
damon

Spaniard_King
23-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Damon,

you can buy parts if it is a true morse helm from Marine Control Systems Brissy rd ladrador or buy a new helm. Its gonna depend on how old ya helm is as to wether they have parts or not..you have stripped the drum..yes???

As far as the cable goes, you install the cable then move the wheel on the hub..if ya really fussy ;)

Garry

peterbo3
23-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Damon,
You can get a hyd setup for around $600+hoses from Hydrive at Capalaba.
Might be a cheaper option in the long run.

blaze
23-08-2005, 10:03 PM
have have morsre cable in my boat and if I had to replace it, I would fit hydaulic.
If budget is a consideration, there is nothing wrong with a well maintained cable system.
The pitfal may well be trying to match up a replacement helm to suit your exsisting cable, thats if the cable is ok, make shore the worm drive part of the cable is not worn because if 1/2 the wear is on the cable and 1/2 the wear is on the corisponding drive in the helm unit, it will be no time at all before you either replace the welm again or the cable.
So if you are up for a cable and helm unit it may well be worth checking out that hydraulic unit.
cheers
blaze

FNQCairns
23-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Peterbo3 is that the bullhorn or the sticky outy cylinder type for $600. Hope it is the bullhorn ;) cheers fnq

blaze
24-08-2005, 10:07 AM
nq
I think you will find that the bullhorn are around the $900 (they seem to be every time I decide to look)
cheers
blaze

peterbo3
24-08-2005, 11:21 AM
FNQ,
I am pretty sure that is the single "sticky out thingo" ;) ;) ;). I have had the same one on the Lightning for over 3 years with no problems. I have a 90 4S but I think they are rated up to 140 4S. And no. People have not stood on it & bent it. Urban myth? ::) ::) ::) ::) The cylinder does stick out a little from the motor but you would need to a contortionist to stand on it. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( So NO circus type people need apply to go fishing with me.

damons33
24-08-2005, 06:03 PM
i can't identify the issue but seeing as i can get the entire helm for $112 from glascraft i think i will just replace the whole helm.
# thanks guys for your advise and opinions
#damon
;)

Smithy
24-08-2005, 10:22 PM
You're going non-feedback aren't you Damo?