PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Tohatsu – the 90TLDI

Trevor+
16-08-2005, 04:36 PM
I have been reconsidering these as possible good options. I will be needing two.

With the issues and variables of weight, economy and cost in this horsepower (80-100) there are no outright winners.

Seemingly the 90TLDI’s are very good and about $2k cheaper than the four strokes and ETEC's. From some of the general info around, and comments, they are very economic to run. - about 0.7l @ 700rpm, 12.5l @ 4000rpm, and 27-32 @5500rpm. These figures are getting close to the four strokes.

Has anyone good performance figures (l/ph, l/km/nm etc). Would it be possible to email (or other) them, or point me in the right direction.

Has anyone any good knowledge of these motors and possible comparisons with the four strokes/ETec’s. I have the article 'The magnificent mid-range' by Andrew Norton from a recent mag.

I know they are slightly noiser than the four’s.

Kind regards Trevor

Mad_Barry
17-08-2005, 07:08 AM
Mate, it's early times for me with one. (about 3 mths & 50hrs)

After selling my 60 4 stroke, a 90 etec was on the short list. (A four stroke wasn't in the running as I didn't want the weight). 4 strokes are great in a lot of situations, but contrary to popular belief, there are other options out there. The often bandied about reasoning of 4 strokes having a higher secondhand re sale value is nothing but an urban myth. Ask anyone who has sold a second hand 4 stroke and they'll tell you they take a significant dump in value, proportinately the same as any second hand motor.

Anyway am waffling on a bit now, :) when it came down to handing over the dollars for the etec I baulked, as for about $4000 less I could have a regular 90 stroke, from just about any manufacturer like merc, yammy or tohatsu. Admittedly with extra fuel usage, but hey $4000 in my pocket and lower servicing costs goes a long way in making up the difference of $20 or so in extra fuel & oil per trip.

So I wandered over to buy a tohatsu 90 regular 2 stroke, cause I like them & had tohatsu before. In yacking, the dealer mentioned he could get a remaining 04 compliance plated TLDI motor in stock down south for not much more than the regular 90 2 stroke with the 05 build plate I was about to get.

I was a bit hesitant & sat on it for a while and did some research both in Aus & US sites (where they are sold in some areas as a Nissan) & couldn't find too many known faults. Which should be showing by now if they were there, as the motor was first released about 5 to 6 yrs ago (I think). The dealer was pretty up front & mentioned with the earlier 90 'A' models he had a couple of ECU computer failures (replaced under warranty).

The 90 'B' series came in last year, one of the changes was an upgraded ECU.

Fuel economy is impressive. I was running at about a litre per nm with the 60 4stroke. (not a fair example as it was underpowered on the boat, so was hard working everywhere).

This looks to be running heaps less. A weekend a mth or so ago I put on about 70 nm for 42 litres. running mostly at about 3000 to 3500 revs in reasonable to average off shore conditions.

A trip up the Hinchinbrook in mostly smooth water & pretty well full revs everywhere uses 45 litres for about 50 nm.

This test mentions the tohatsu as quieter inthe top end than the etec. maybe so, never really noticed, so it can't be overly significant. I fish out of a mates boat with twin 90 etec's & I'd say the etecs are quieter & smoother at idle & very low revs than the tohatsu. The tohatsu still has that 2 stroke type of 'lumpiness' at idle that the etec doesn't.

http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=943183

all in all I'm happy with the choice so far. I plan on sitting with the boat for quite a few yrs so ultimately time will tell. :)

stejy
27-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi Trevor, i have a 90hp etec on a 16.5ft f/glass runabout brought motor new, fitted cost $11250,has 20hrs on her now cant be happyer.its petrol use is 4hrs at 1000-4000 rpm approx 25liters i use it on lake macquaire so its pretty flat most of the time. Was looking at a johnson 90hp 4st but just to heavy you will be very happy with the etec i had a 115 suzuki before , cant get over the fuel econommy of this etec cheers.terry,